Home Non Cigar Related

Some pics of Victoria, BC.

0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
A few years back, the wife and I took a long weekend get-away to Victoria, BC.
It was probably one of the most economical, beautiful places I've ever been to.
Here are some pics, to give you an idea.

Victoria, BC Parliament Building

Victoria, BC Victoria Bay

Victoria, BC Victoria Bay at night.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    I live an hour outside Victoria. Did you travel around the island(s) while here or just the Victoria area?
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    We went through the border at Blaine, WA, then up to Vancouver and catch the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria. We spent the night in Vancouver and caught the Ferry to Victoria and spent 2 nights there and took the ferry back to Vancouver and drove home.

We went all over Victoria and Vancouver. We like to look at the old buildings, which they have a lot of.

We were going to go to Butchart Gardens, but ended up spending so much time walking around Victoria, that we never made it. LOL!

We wanted to take the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, but it was booked for 2 days. LOL!

We hope to go back up next summer. This summer is pretty much out, as funds and a ton of other things won't allow us to make it.

• ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    0patience:
    A few years back, the wife and I took a long weekend get-away to Victoria, BC.
    It was probably one of the most economical, beautiful places I've ever been to.
    Here are some pics, to give you an idea.

Victoria, BC Parliament Building

Victoria, BC Victoria Bay

Victoria, BC Victoria Bay at night.

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Beautiful...thanks for sharing Tony.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Victoria is !beautiful. That lovely building at the head of the bay is the Empress Hotel, I believe. High tea at the Empress is quite the thing. And the museum of natural history is absolutely wonderful. When we were last there, there was a slightly larger than life carving of some Indians (First Nation? Is that the correct term?) in a dugout canoe hunting whale. It was very impressive. And if I remember correctly there was also a full body-mount of a mammoth. It's a great museum. We loved Victoria.
    jlmarta:
    Victoria is !beautiful. That lovely building at the head of the bay is the Empress Hotel, I believe. High tea at the Empress is quite the thing. And the museum of natural history is absolutely wonderful. When we were last there, there was a slightly larger than life carving of some Indians (First Nation? Is that the correct term?) in a dugout canoe hunting whale. It was very impressive. And if I remember correctly there was also a full body-mount of a mammoth. It's a great museum. We loved Victoria.
    First Nations. The Stolo, or Lower Fraser Salish are the indians. My family is Salish Kootenai (flathead), Nez Perce and Cowlitz decent.
    Unfortunately, I know far more about the subject than I care to. LOL!

The mammoth display is a very cool display. We only got to see part of the museum.
    Unfortunately, we did not get to have High Tea at the Empress. My wife and I decided it was time we could spend doing something else. LOL!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    0patience:
    jlmarta:
    First Nations. The Stolo, or Lower Fraser Salish are the indians. My family is Salish Kootenai (flathead), Nez Perce and Cowlitz decent.
    Unfortunately, I know far more about the subject than I care to. LOL!

The mammoth display is a very cool display. We only got to see part of the museum.
    Unfortunately, we did not get to have High Tea at the Empress. My wife and I decided it was time we could spend doing something else. LOL!

And I love northwest Indian art. I tell people jokingly that I think I was a northwest Indian in a previous life. I love everything about the region. Washington and B.C. Are just incredibly beautiful.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    My wife and I had the pleasure of stopping by for a few hours as the last stop of our Alaskan cruise. The town is absolutely beautiful and we both wished we had a few days to spend there. Thanks for bringing back the memories with those pictures.
    bbass2:
    My wife and I had the pleasure of stopping by for a few hours as the last stop of our Alaskan cruise. The town is absolutely beautiful and we both wished we had a few days to spend there. Thanks for bringing back the memories with those pictures.
    My wife and I are thinking of an Alaskan cruise in a few years, when things get squared away.
    I went to high school in Kodiak, Alaska and the wife has been on me, cause between going to school in Kodiak and commercial fishing in Alaska, she has heard me talk about it, but hasn't gotten to see it first hand. My choices are to fly up to Kodiak, spend a few days and then fly over to Homer and spend a few days with a friend and then take a tour of Prince William Sound or take the cruise.
    Cost is gonna play a huge part in it.

She'd really like to see the Bering Sea/Bristol Bay area, like I talk about, but I'd rather not. LOL!
    We loved the cruise, but I want to go back to see the mainland. I hated going all the way up there and not being able to see McKinley, but time/funds didn't allow it. If you have any questions about the cruise let me know.
    bbass2:
    We loved the cruise, but I want to go back to see the mainland. I hated going all the way up there and not being able to see McKinley, but time/funds didn't allow it. If you have any questions about the cruise let me know.
    The obvious question is, can you smoke on them?
    Was there enough things to do on the ship and good food?

How much time did they give you at each port and how many ports did you stop at?

Thanks.
    0patience:
    The obvious question is, can you smoke on them?
    Was there enough things to do on the ship and good food?

How much time did they give you at each port and how many ports did you stop at?

Thanks.

Before the trip I was really looking forward to ending each day with a drink and a smoke on our balcony. Unfortunately I read some rules and they ask you not a smoke on balconies since it can hinder the enjoyment of others. I wasn't smoking too much at the time so I didn't bother with it. They did have a cigar lounge, but I didn't go.

There is a LOT of things to do on the ship, so between stopping at ports, enjoying the scenery going by, and browsing around the boat, we never found ourselves bored or wishing for something else to do.

I was impressed with the selection and quality of food overall. There were plenty of choices overall to satisfy anyone ranging from a buffet which has a large selection, to standard bar food, ice cream, etc, etc. There were also three really nice places to eat dinner. It's been a few years so I can't remember the styles of each, but the quality was excellent at those and the service was exceptional.

We had the seven day cruise and we had four days at port. We stopped at Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. The times at port for the first three were 8-12 hours and Victoria was only around 5 hours. You will have enough time at each port to get a good feel for the place and do an excursion or two, but you won't be able to do everything so it's pretty important to plan ahead and schedule what fits your interests. Victoria was the only stop we wished to have a little more time.

In addition to the days at port, one day was spent going through the Tracy Arm Fjord. This was the most impressive scenery through the trip. They wind the boat down this fjord which is just a few hundred yards wide and as a grand finale we arrived at the end where a HUGE glacier came to the sea.

I'll look around and see if I still have some pics online.