Home Non Cigar Related

Movie Talk

2»

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    cholmes8310:
    bigharpoon:
    I'll give Gran Torino another nod. This is the best movie I've seen in quite a while. Clint Eastwood makes a great flick. When a movie has a great ending and everything comes together like poetry it really showcases the talent and skill involved. Nothing worse than a movie that's pretty good most of the way and then falls to pieces at the end in typical hackneyed Hollywood fashion.
    I'll give Gran Torino another recommendation. Excellent movie, one of Clint's best. Another good one was Appaloosa. Ed Harris was great in it, but I'll warn you, it's long, and is really slow in parts. Really good movie overall though. I'd recommend both.

Just watched Gran Torino ...what an awsome movie ...Eastwood is great
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I enjoyed gran torino too, though thought the end was anti-climactic. I was hoping for some good 'ol torturing of them aholes!

Saw transformers 2 last night, I really enjoyed it. Lot's of robotic action, I wish that there would have been a bit more explained on the fallen and how he and unicorn play into the story to set the stage for the 3rd film. I thought the battles were well done, wish the finale was a bit longer, but it was pretty bad ass. most of the reviews I read before seeing it blasted the story, well I have to say, wtf? Transformers was never a story driven show, it was based off of toys for god's sake. I think bay delivered on what people wanted, pure action and robot ass kicking. I sort of thought prime was a wussy in the first one but he really showed he can bring it this time around. I had some reservations about how sam played with the primes and the key but other than that I enjoyed it. 2.5 hours of joy for my wife and I. I hope bay returns for the 3rd one to finish the trilogy. oh and I do think this one was funnier than the 1st, could have done without the robot twins but they weren't all that bad. I did notice the cgi wasn't as good on them, not sure why but most things were beautiful. I have a theater near me that shows movies in HD with a christine dlp projector 2048p lines on a 50 foot screen and I swear it was fan freakin tastic.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    phobicsquirrel:
    I enjoyed gran torino too, though thought the end was anti-climactic. I was hoping for some good 'ol torturing of them aholes!

Saw transformers 2 last night, I really enjoyed it. Lot's of robotic action, I wish that there would have been a bit more explained on the fallen and how he and unicorn play into the story to set the stage for the 3rd film. I thought the battles were well done, wish the finale was a bit longer, but it was pretty bad ass. most of the reviews I read before seeing it blasted the story, well I have to say, wtf? Transformers was never a story driven show, it was based off of toys for god's sake. I think bay delivered on what people wanted, pure action and robot ass kicking. I sort of thought prime was a wussy in the first one but he really showed he can bring it this time around. I had some reservations about how sam played with the primes and the key but other than that I enjoyed it. 2.5 hours of joy for my wife and I. I hope bay returns for the 3rd one to finish the trilogy. oh and I do think this one was funnier than the 1st, could have done without the robot twins but they weren't all that bad. I did notice the cgi wasn't as good on them, not sure why but most things were beautiful. I have a theater near me that shows movies in HD with a christine dlp projector 2048p lines on a 50 foot screen and I swear it was fan freakin tastic.
    you skipped the most important part - Megan Fox is phanf***intastic!!! Easily the hottest woman alive right now.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Just saw the Hangover today and I really wished I had seen it before I went to my buddy's bachelor party last week. We could have done much more stupid stuff than what we did, like piss off Mike Tyson, somehow steal a baby, steal a cop car (wait we already got pulled over by border patrol for having a sombrero in the back window, I think that counts). All in all, a funny ass movie.
    cholmes8310:
    phobicsquirrel:

you skipped the most important part - Megan Fox is phanf***intastic!!! Easily the hottest woman alive right now.
    she's pretty but not all that..
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 282
    cholmes8310:
    This will easily change your mind (preview NSFW!!!!!!)

Jessica Biel's upcoming role.

Win!
    thanks for the link, but she joins the list of chicks who are cute but ultimately aren't all that. I can think of several sc or even hc ladies that are leagues hotter.
  • bibbybibby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    Don't want to burst any bubbles, but this movie is out on DVD already and while Biel does show some flesh the movies overall was atrocious. I wouldn't recommend it even though Jessica is amazing, so if you wanna see that then by all means, but the movie in general is not worth paying attention to. Have your remote close and you will be a lot happier than wasting you time with this entire film. Just my opinion, if you are interested swing by a local Blockbuster it should be available. ~ Rob
    jlzimmerman:
    cholmes8310:
    This will easily change your mind (preview NSFW!!!!!!)

Jessica Biel's upcoming role.

Win!
    If this is a preview for Powder Blue, the movie was terrible, hard to follow, and boring. And she doesn't show much. So don't get your hopes up. Half the time she looked like a crackw***e in that role as well. Didn't do her much justice if you ask me.
  • naughtnaught Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 56
    I know people will want to punch me for saying it, but... I really, really disliked Grand Torino. I don't know if it was seeing it after all the hype or what but... it was some of the worst acting I'd ever seen. I wondered if maybe I'd missed something, and they had just grabbed random kids off the street and told them to try and act, but thats how it seemed. Even ol Clint seemed off his game. When he was supposed to be angry and was punching through the glass... it was all slow motion-like, though it wasn't. When the kid was supposed to be angry and was "pounding" on the locked screen door... I burst out laughing... it was like he was trying to softly pat it. It was like he was trying to act that bad on purpose, and I just wasn't in on the joke. The whole flow of the movie just seemed so off. Last time I checked... when you point a gun at a gang member... they don't give you a couple weeks to sit and think about what to do next. And don't get me started on the acting chops of that gang. I still did like Clint's character overall but... most of the movie just seemed like a b-rate youtube video. It probably didn't help that my coworker had been telling me for months that it was the greatest movie ever made. And he's a pretty violent, grizzled old war vet... so I was expecting a bit more anger and violence. Sorry in advance ;)
    Nothing to worry about Naught, I really liked the story line and the acting didn't deter it for me during the viewing, but if I watched it again now that you mentioned it I would probably have the same feelings. Cholmes, exactly "Powder Blue" was atrocious. I really only rented it for Liotta, Biel, Kristopherson, and Whittaker in a non-hollywood hyped movie. Boy that was the wrong move, what a piece of *** as you aptly described in your response. ~ Rob
    Bibby:
    Nothing to worry about Naught, I really liked the story line and the acting didn't deter it for me during the viewing, but if I watched it again now that you mentioned it I would probably have the same feelings. Cholmes, exactly "Powder Blue" was atrocious. I really only rented it for Liotta, Biel, Kristopherson, and Whittaker in a non-hollywood hyped movie. Boy that was the wrong move, what a piece of *** as you aptly described in your response. ~ Rob
    Yeah, exactly.. you have a couple (or at least one) Academy Award winners in what I thought would be a good indie flick. WRONG!
    Bibby:
    Haven't seen it, but from the look of it I doubt I will. The kid who biel is Fing looks horrible and to be honest her ass looks the same as his... lol. I do find it funny how she would show her goodies on a film like this, I would think that she's popular enough to get top dollar for it, unless I am behind the times.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Saw Star Trek last weekend! It was great! I know about a few weeks late.
  • naughtnaught Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 56
    A bit out there but... I recently saw one called God Grew Tired of Us. Pretty amazing stuff. It follows the 'Lost Boys' of Sudan... thousands of people that had to flee the civil war there... walked thousands of miles, starving, only to be turned away from each place they reached. The film follows a group that was relocated to various US states.

Talk about intense. These guys had never seen anything but mud and cattle, and then are suddenly thrust into airplanes, apartments, cars, electricity. You almost laugh when they try to eat the hand wipes that come with the airline meal. Or when they grind up Ritz crackers and water to make an edible paste. And then the scope of it just blows you away. Highly recommend that one.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    naught:
    A bit out there but... I recently saw one called God Grew Tired of Us. Pretty amazing stuff. It follows the 'Lost Boys' of Sudan... thousands of people that had to flee the civil war there... walked thousands of miles, starving, only to be turned away from each place they reached. The film follows a group that was relocated to various US states.

Talk about intense. These guys had never seen anything but mud and cattle, and then are suddenly thrust into airplanes, apartments, cars, electricity. You almost laugh when they try to eat the hand wipes that come with the airline meal. Or when they grind up Ritz crackers and water to make an edible paste. And then the scope of it just blows you away. Highly recommend that one.
    That sounds like a very interesting movie... is this an actual movie or a documentary, I've never heard of it. Is it for sale somewhere?
    Mildly surprised that nobody has mentioned "Hangover".

Great Movie, absolutely hilarious! I highly recommend if you have a couple of hours to spend and don't want to think to much this one is a beauty. Same producer as "Old School". Check it out!

Rob
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Been watching westerns westerns and more westerns as of late.***The Good The Bad and The Ugly***My favorite one so far. This movie can be summed up as Epic. The characters, the scenes...epic. Eastwood as the iconic "Man with no name" is the definition of a BAMF and is the character that I know judge all other heroes against. Eli Wallach is probably usually an afterthought, but I think his character and performance are better than that of Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef). And of course the final gunfight...truly an unmatched scene. Sergio is a master of building up suspense, so much so that the buildup is often better than the result. ***Once Upon a Time in the West***This movie is LONG. I did not like it nearly as much as GB&U, but it is still a good movie. Only after watching it did I learn that Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson were cast against their type. I did not much care for Bronson, I felt like he tried to be the man with no name and failed. Fonda on the other hand, I felt like made an amazing black hat. I learned this from Wiki..."Leone originally offered the role of Harmonica to Clint Eastwood; when he turned it down, Leone hired Charles Bronson who had originally been offered and turned down the part of the Man with No Name in A Fistful of Dollars.". I wish Clint HAD taken the role, as Harmonica is 100% The Man with no Name. Overall, this is still a good movie. There are really two plots, Harmonica chasing Frank and trying to complete the station before the railroad arrives.***Unforgiven***Apologies for having never seen this before. This movie is powerful! It features a washed up Clint Eastwood who is well past his prime. I felt like Morgan Freeman was added as more of an afterthought, though I have nothing against how he acted in the movie. I felt like 3/4 of the movie was "good", but that the final 1/4 was epic. The transformation that Clint goes through is downright chilling, and it sticks with me weeks later. I'd rate this under GB&U but above Once Upon a Time in the West.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    ^^^If this makes no sense, my bad! Writing that much makes me lose my train of thought.