Home Cigar 101

Alright so I'm learning the hard way..............

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 188
The other night I started a stogie but didn't have time to finish it so I laid it down and let it go out smoothly. Once it was out I took my cutters and decided to cut the burnt end off to get rid of the ash and then (this being where I screwed up) I placed the once smoked cigar back in my humi-bag for later. I thought for a second, this probably isn't a good idea but figured the bag was temporary so who cares.

Well obviously when I returned to smoke it and opened the bag I realized how bad my bag now reeks, possibly even permanently. So my retard of a question to everyone is whether or not you ever place a once smoked cigar back in a humidor? Realizing how bad mine stinks I would have to assume this was a dumb move but figured I'd ask anyway. I don't ever want my humidor to stink like my bag now does.

livin & learnin

Comments

• kent1146kent1146 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    No, don't try to save, re-use, or re-store cigars that have been previously smoked, because they will stink up whatever you put it in (e.g. the plastic bag, a humidor, etc).

As a general rule, people will tell you to pick a cigar to smoke that you know you will have time to finish.  Don't pick a Churchhill cigar that will take 2 hours to smoke, if you've only got 30 minutes.  There are plenty of cigars out there that are excellent short smokes, like the Arturo Fuente Short Story cigar.  You can be done with one of those in about 25 minutes, and enjoy every minute of it. 

I would highly recommend that you pick up a few cigars of different sizes, so that you have a variety of cigars for varying smoking times, as well as the ability to see how different vitolas (the ring size and length) affect the flavor.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I usually use a tub that I got from another cigar whether it be glass or metal. I also cut the end off most of the time. The tubes do smell but most of the time when I come back to the cigar it is still smokeable. if it isn't right away then usually it takes a few minutes and is ok after that and in a few cases if it's not then oh well. I have plenty more.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I can only remember one time that I "saved " a cigar for the next day.. Usually when it is put down.. That is the end of that cigars ability to be enjoyed. That musty/charred smell is not one that translates to a pleasant smoking experience, at least not for me.
  • dan7876dan7876 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47
    Tough stuff...usually not worth saving for a later occasion. But if you must (if, for example, you have to put out a Titan after 10 minutes), certainly make sure to cut off ALL of the burnt end of the cigar, at least a half inch past where you can visibly see it burned. And no need to put it into a plastic bag or temporary humi...if you can't finish smoking it within 24 hours forget it.