Home Non Cigar Related

Finally finishing up a Harley tank I've been working on.

0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
So I spent some time in the shop today, finishing up the body work on a banged up tank I bought from a friend for a Harley Street Glide. I needed something to take my mind off the forum problems and all.
It's a marblized black and metalic blue paint job, so the marblizing is subtle.

It looks a little glossless right now, but tomorrow I have to put the Harley Davidson on the sides and pinstriping on the top.

Once the logo and pinstriping are done, then the clearcoats. I am thinking between the pinstriping and marblizing, I'll need to put at least 8 coats of clear on to make it even everything out.

So here are the first stages. More to come. image

Comments

• VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Thats really cool bro. A man of many tallents you be.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Most of the time was spent pulling the dents all out.
    Once the dents were all out, then had to weld up the cracks from the stud welder.
    Then the final body work was easy. LOL!
    I used to have a dryer for tanks, but it went away a while ago when funds became a problem. LOL!
    Now I may have to build a new one. It makes the drying time of the paint go from 14 hours to 2 hours.
    Thankfully, I've gone to a water base airbrush paint that lets the pinstriping and logo paint dry in 1 minutes with a hair dryer. LOL!
    So tomorrow, the pinstriping and logos will take about 2 hours to do, 15 minutes to dry and another 2 hours for the clear. Then wait til the next day for the clear to dry, wet sand and buff.

Wow! That's too much freakin work. LOL!
  • Big TexBig Tex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    I wish you were closer man. I have a Fatboy with a couple dingers in the rear fender from my daughter riding her bike into the back of it. She never told me she did it. I got a little sick to my stomach when I saw the damage. I pulled the dent out and all it left was a little crack in the clear coat. I did forgive her, somehow, lol. The worst part was that she did it a second time while I was in the garage with her. That time it chipped out a piece of the paint. Oh well, kids will be kids. I'll probably never get it fixed since everytime I look at it I chuckle because it reminds me of her learning to ride a bike. But if you were closer, I'd let you at least give me an estimate! You do good work brother!
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Very cool Tony...I wish I had your skills. Congrats!!!
    0patience:
    So I spent some time in the shop today, finishing up the body work on a banged up tank I bought from a friend for a Harley Street Glide. I needed something to take my mind off the forum problems and all.
    It's a marblized black and metalic blue paint job, so the marblizing is subtle.

It looks a little glossless right now, but tomorrow I have to put the Harley Davidson on the sides and pinstriping on the top.

Once the logo and pinstriping are done, then the clearcoats. I am thinking between the pinstriping and marblizing, I'll need to put at least 8 coats of clear on to make it even everything out.

So here are the first stages. More to come. image

Big Tex:
    I wish you were closer man. I have a Fatboy with a couple dingers in the rear fender from my daughter riding her bike into the back of it. She never told me she did it. I got a little sick to my stomach when I saw the damage. I pulled the dent out and all it left was a little crack in the clear coat. I did forgive her, somehow, lol. The worst part was that she did it a second time while I was in the garage with her. That time it chipped out a piece of the paint. Oh well, kids will be kids. I'll probably never get it fixed since everytime I look at it I chuckle because it reminds me of her learning to ride a bike. But if you were closer, I'd let you at least give me an estimate! You do good work brother!
    I'll have the pinstriping and clear done tomorrow.
    But the wetsanding and buffing may not be done until Tuesday night.
    I'll have pics of the pinstriping and logo and clear tomorrow, but it won't be wetsanded or buffed out.
    Once the clear is buffed out, then the finished product will be done.
    Then it goes on ebay or craigslist. LOL!

Is it just sand, paint and clear?
    If it is just one color and clear, cost of the sealer, paint and clear and a couple hours.
    But it all depends on the paint you want. What color is the bike now?
    The other problem is matching the paint. It's easier to do the front fender, tank and rear fender as a set.
    Once this tank is done, we can talk about options.
    rzaman:
    Very cool Tony...I wish I had your skills. Congrats!!!
    Thanks Rip, I appreciate it.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    cool, cant wait to see it done
    Here is the tank with the graphics, logo and clearcoat.
    Now it has to dry and then be buffed out.
    I was gonna do pinstriping, but the graphic on the top of the tank looked better, so I went with that.

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    0patience:
    Here is the tank with the graphics, logo and clearcoat.
    Now it has to dry and then be buffed out.
    I was gonna do pinstriping, but the graphic on the top of the tank looked better, so I went with that.

Nice very nice :o)
    i bet it will be killer in the sun light!! looks awesome
    The wet sanding and buffing is the part I always hate.
    But it is great to see the finish product.
    I always like the paint part of it, cause I get to see it transform into something nice.
    0patience:
    The wet sanding and buffing is the part I always hate.
    But it is great to see the finish product.
    I always like the paint part of it, cause I get to see it transform into something nice.
    yeah, thats why i like to restore old cars, i love the looks my wife gives me, and the what the hell are you gonna do with thats! shes learned to leave me alone tho! finally!
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Tony, you are an artist.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Looks nice! I painted my old Super-Glide (FXR) a couple times. Biggest pain I ever had was a full skirt front fender I put on it, I couldn't figure out how to leech the preservative out from under the rivets. Finally settled on repeatedly priming just the rivets, allow to dry, remove...over and over. Looked good when it was done. Very satisfying work, isn't it? Looks like you've got talent.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    That's some nice work there Tony.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Beautiful Tony! Nice job!
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.