Home Cigar 101

Lighter trouble

nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
I have a firebird (colibri...ish) and I'm having trouble with it It doesn't light unless I light it with another lighter... When it lights it barely burns, not like a torch, but kind of a wispy flame So far I've tried... Purging the lighter Cleaning the burner part by blowing in it/scraping a bit with a flathead to see if there was a lot of crud, but no visible buildup Any ideas?

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    You can send it in to a lighter repair guy if there is one near you, but if it's a Colibri, just use it as a paper weight and get a new lighter. I had one literally fall apart a month after I bought it.
  • bnccna2bnccna2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 44
    I have a firebird also - got it on sale(probably for this reason). I had similar lighting issues for a while when i first got it, but then it seemed to "break in" and it works fine now. Hey, this is my 25th post. yeah!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    the best way to fix a colibri lighter is to buy a Xikar.
  • SlickRSSlickRS Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 44
    kuzi16:
    I second that..lol !!!
  • nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    lol, this firebird was a gift. I have another one of a different model I bought at a walgreens for 10 bucks cause it looked cool, and after I fiddled with it a bit it's been working for about 2 years solid. I found this old one in a drawer and figured I'd see what I could do with it...oh well.
  • nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    kuzi16:
    btw, I'd love to get a xikar, but I'm still saving for my cutter, maybe for xmas from the little lady, eh?
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    You can get a xikar executive off amazon for about $20; cutters start around $30 for an xi2, $40 for an xi, and $80 for an xi3 (though you can find them on ebay for about $50-$60)
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Go with a Xi 2, looks good, but if it gets a little banged up, it's ok. I replaced my Colibri lighter with something by Rocky Patel, works like a champ. I think I have a picture of it floating around here somewhere...
  • brc81brc81 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 249
    Best single torch lighter made can be had for $3 at Wallyworld. Ronson Jetlite.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    brc81:

I have looked in three diff wal-marts for the elusive Ronson Jetlite close to me. They are always sold out but I was told one store is getting them this week ...
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    brc81:

I also had this handy lighter, until it was 'lost' (aka stolen) at a herf. Not sure which buddy of mine walked off with it. It was a great lighter though. I had a Coleman torch lighter also that worked like a charm. Both were purchased at Walmart for under $10. I have a Xikar Plunge now, and like it, but the Ronson works well also.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 272
    I have a colibri I got with one of the deals from here and it pretty much only works inside. Once I get it outside it has a mind of its own. I guess it's upgrade time.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Garen B:
    Go with a Xi 2, looks good, but if it gets a little banged up, it's ok. I replaced my Colibri lighter with something by Rocky Patel, works like a champ. I think I have a picture of it floating around here somewhere...
    I got a Xi3 cutter (redwood) for about $40 on Amazon...