Home Non Cigar Related

Looks like fall cleaning!!

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
Well it seems to be getting quite cold here in the NE!! And it looks like it's coming to that time where I bring all my rods and reels down to the work area and start the "CLEAN". This is something that will take a few weeks of my life but I fished rather hard this year so it's well deserved!! Anyone else getting ready to put their fishing gear up and get to relubing and bearing inspection?? Usually I fish thru the winter but it's gonna be a bad one this year!!

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    It's rare I gut my reels open for cleaning. I do restring often though. BTW, I'm not a fan of braided line. Am I weird?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    danielzreyes:
    It's rare I gut my reels open for cleaning. I do restring often though. BTW, I'm not a fan of braided line. Am I weird?
    hahaha yeah spinning reels are a pain to clean!! I think I own one now I have most away. And as for braid...I usually run 100% flourocarbon now a days but for my lipless crank rod I use braid. It's easier to rip it thru weeds and cleans off the trebles easier. I use to swear by braid but got sick of tying leaders on so went to flouro. So far so good lol I kind of like the little bit of stretch but the cost is killing me!! Braid I change one every couple of years flouro I change abot 4 times a year so it adds up!! But just FYI you should at least re oil your bearings!!!! I've found ardent reel supreme is a great lube!! It works with both stainless and my hybrid bearings. So far I've gotten a lot of use before that need to clean feeling and with abec 7 bearings it feels like that quite often!!
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    hahaha yeah spinning reels are a pain to clean!! I think I own one now I have most away. And as for braid...I usually run 100% flourocarbon now a days but for my lipless crank rod I use braid. It's easier to rip it thru weeds and cleans off the trebles easier. I use to swear by braid but got sick of tying leaders on so went to flouro. So far so good lol I kind of like the little bit of stretch but the cost is killing me!! Braid I change one every couple of years flouro I change abot 4 times a year so it adds up!! But just FYI you should at least re oil your bearings!!!! I've found ardent reel supreme is a great lube!! It works with both stainless and my hybrid bearings. So far I've gotten a lot of use before that need to clean feeling and with abec 7 bearings it feels like that quite often!!
    I run both flourocarb and monofil. I like the durability of the f/c but I still like the feel of the m/f. Braided, seesh. When ever I get a rats nest its like"F*CK ME!".
    Spider Wire XXX 12 lbs. is my Oliva V (my go to line)
    Hahaha yeah braid and spinning reels is a hell!! The line twist is pretty bad!! I use to use hybrid line like p-line flouro clear but found it dries up fast and becomes brittle. For my normal flippin rod I use 20# flouro with a revo s for heavy cover I opt for 65# braid on a revo sx burner. But I use baitcasters so it's less of a annoyence with line twist!! But for the strength I do like braid... But the betas soon resistance scares me!! You should try out baitcasters!! They are great!! Less weight and more of a natural feel when casting...plus the drag and gear ratios are awesome!!
    Baitcasters are all I use when I fish for bass. Only time I use spinning is when I drop shot. This VVV is my "Oliva V" reel. I've had it for a few years now.
    Hahahaha that's awesome man!! I actually drop shot with a baitcaster too lol spinning reels are way to awkward feeling to me. I think this year ill treat myself to another revo stx... I love that reel!! Smooth all the way thru and I have it loaded with boca orange seals...I can cast shaky heads a country mile and I use it for drop shotting. So where do you go wrong with braid?? I know it can get clingy and birdnest but if you make a long cast and get it a little wet it works fine. I still really don't use it due to being lazy lol but just wondering
    Bass fishing I usually go with 12 or 14 lbs tess depending on if I'm using a 6'6" or 7' (I'm weird like that). The thickness of 12/14 braided is like 4 lbs lol. Totally threw me off. What sucks is it was a baitcaster that I got a nasty rat/bird nest. It took me like thirty min to literally saw that sh*t off of my reel. I really should try and give it another go. Maybe 25-30 lbs to compensate for the thickness?
    Lol backing,backing and backing!!!!! But if you go with power pro use 40# it's the same as 10 in mono. Like I said it's great for lipless cranks and heavy cover flippin but that's about it with bass fishing. It does take some getting use to but always buy power pro!! I hate berkleys braid suffix is thick and spider wire gets rather...well it expands...so does berkley. Power pro is the thinnest and most consistent IMO
    Damn you! you talked me into it. Gonna have to stop at Bass Pro Shop tomorrow.
    Hahahaha if I lived near a bass pro I'd be even more poor!! Between fishing and cigars it's horrible!!
    Mannnn check this out. I live about 7 min from Bass Pro Shop. Walking distance from BPS is my fav B&M. I have $50 as we speak. I haven't bought sticks for myself in awhile so I thought I'd treat myself tomorrow. I was hoping to have some extra cash left over for lunch but that doesn't look like its going to happen now that I'm going to both places. Thanks to you, I'll probably end up having 2 tacos and water from Jack n the Crack.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    danielzreyes:
    Mannnn check this out. I live about 7 min from Bass Pro Shop. Walking distance from BPS is my fav B&M. I have $50 as we speak. I haven't bought sticks for myself in awhile so I thought I'd treat myself tomorrow. I was hoping to have some extra cash left over for lunch but that doesn't look like its going to happen now that I'm going to both places. Thanks to you, I'll probably end up having 2 tacos and water from Jack n the Crack.
    Daniel,u need some sticks? HA HA HA!!! 50 more days till christmas my friend.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:

So I have only rig that I run braided line through and that's my Muskie rig. 8ft Cabelas ultra heavy whoopin stick and an Abu Garcia Ambassador with 80lb gorilla braid ....... Strictly for Muskie and anything willing to hit the large expensive lure attached, we don't like to use lightweight gear and fight and stress the fish out ..... Bring em in quick boat em snap a few pics and back into the water were they will live to fight again..... We see it on Lake Erie a lot of Muskies don't make it after a long fight because of the time to get them netted and unhooked and by the time they get a pic and get it back in the water the fish is not going to survive .... It sucks...... Otherwise I have fluorocarbon on the other rigs ...... Everything down to 2lb test on my opening day trout setup ...... 5ft Ugly Stick ultra light with a cheap Abu spinning reel and Berkley line.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    I know I am a little late to the party, but I went from spinning to bait cast back to spinning. I also throw Spiderwire Braid and found it to do better on spinning. I also throw Rubber about 80% of the time and Rapala/Stick/spinning the other 10% and like a light 15lb braid.

Now... if we are talking Trout.... Now thats a different story :)
    I throw a good amount of rubber but mostly when flippin since that's my favorite thing to do. I've had problems with the spider wire getting loose and making it twice as thick as before... Same thing happened with berkley braid. Maybe it was just me?? Which could make sense since I seem to have odd luck lol. And your probably more comftorable throwing plastics with a spinning rod...it's more natural for some people. But it's nice to know you fish!! Wish I had known sooner lol I would have bombed with random fishing stuff lol.
    I should have mixed it up and got a 65 lbs also. What lbs tess do you throw Lee? (braided)
    65 for flippin 40 for lipless cranks but for the cranks I do use a flouro leader. But on that big ol reel you got I'd do half with mono backing and half with the 40lb oh and don't buy into that power pro super slick...worst line twist I've ever had!!
    Nowwww you tell me. and my reel is smaller than it looks.
    Lol yeah I bet that reel hold I'm gonna go 245 yards of 10lb mono!! I got some old school ones and love them but I like my reels to be customized lol and Abu Garcia seems to be the ticket...you can upgrade anything on the revo line!!
    Naw mannnn. 12 lb about 125 yds
    No kiddin that is pretty small...it looks bigger your right!! What style do you normally fish??
    Texas, spinners, cranks........... Texas mostly.
    Gotcha you Cali boys got it hard over there!! I heard in most places you have to use 6lb flouro since the waters so clear. And you got a good amount of them spots...those suckers pull hard!! One of my goals is to hit the delta and go frogging!!