Home Non Cigar Related

Ugh well I'm joining the 8%

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
This economy has been killing me for a long time now!! But it never truly nailed me till money stopped coming in and I kept spending like it was. Work is now no more pretty much and I'm dying sitting on my a$$! To all of you with great jobs and all of that I'm jealous!! And need to figure out how to work my way to the top. Until then I think I'll just be stressed out wondering wtf I can do!! This blows a$$!!

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    That sucks man. I spent much of 2008/2009 in the same boat. The key for me was finding ways to stay busy, even if I wasn't working. Idle time makes stress and for spending money. Volunteer work helped me a lot, and led to people networks that led to my current job. I hope things go better for you soon.
  • BombayBombay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,207
    Sorry to hear it Lee. I second what Jth is saying. You gotta get up and preform every day as if you do have a job. Keep on Keeping on brotha. Hope it gets better soon.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    That is a great idea!! I actually never thought about that...I do like giving back to the community and it is a way to stay busy!! And yes networking is there...thanks for the advise!! Ill have to look into it!!
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Sorry to hear this Lee. I will add that if you can find creative ways to market yourself, the job will come. I am not saying lie about experience, just creative ways to stand out in a crowd. It always works out in the end for those that work hard enough to get there.
    Oh yeah, one more thing that really helped me. I am a fat b@stard and love me some good food. There are a lot of restaurants and schools that offer free/cheap cooking classes at very inconvienent times during the day. Lucky for you, you have no job... so you can now go to these classes. Upside, you can learn new techniques and make some great dishes, at the fraction of the cost of going out.
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    I feel your pain, Lee. I spent the last year without work. I agree with everyone saying stay busy. It can get very depressing if you stay idle too long.
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    Keep ya head up Lee. Wish you all the best.
    jthanatos:
    Oh yeah, one more thing that really helped me. I am a fat b@stard and love me some good food. There are a lot of restaurants and schools that offer free/cheap cooking classes at very inconvienent times during the day. Lucky for you, you have no job... so you can now go to these classes. Upside, you can learn new techniques and make some great dishes, at the fraction of the cost of going out.
    Hahahaha yeah I'm actually a chef by trade...I had my own catering buisness but the economy crushed me!! I do love me some food lol
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Sucks Lee. What do you do?
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    want a hug lee? I give pretty good hugs. bring it in
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jthanatos:
    Hahahaha yeah I'm actually a chef by trade...I had my own catering buisness but the economy crushed me!! I do love me some food lol
    Hey, you could offer those inconvienently timed cooking classes... Especially with the holidays coming. "Don't want embarass yourself at the family feast? Take my class to be a gourmet beast!"
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Good luck to you Lee. Pro Angler?
    danielzreyes:
    Hahaha no I wish and that's one of my goals in life!!! But I was a mover...seems there is not much of that going on around here and people are actually trying to do it themselves. But hopefully I will bounce back soon!! I have a crap ton of trades I'm good with so ill be looking for something ASAP!! But until then ill just try to keep myself occupied and possibly annoy yous a bit more lol
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    Hahaha no I wish and that's one of my goals in life!!! But I was a mover...seems there is not much of that going on around here and people are actually trying to do it themselves. But hopefully I will bounce back soon!! I have a crap ton of trades I'm good with so ill be looking for something ASAP!! But until then ill just try to keep myself occupied and possibly annoy yous a bit more lol
    yeah I always wanted to be a pro angler and a pro sk8er, and if annoying means you talking about fishing and cigars then annoy away brother.
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    yeah I always wanted to be a pro angler and a pro sk8er, and if annoying means you talking about fishing and cigars then annoy away brother.
    Hahahaha sounds good man...why didn't you persue any of those things?? Me personally am trying to fine tune my knowledge with the electronics before I go looking for sponsors...but every year I have switched styles till I feel I have gotten it down. But skating is a pretty awesome thing to go for!!
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Lee.mcglynn:
    This economy has been killing me for a long time now!! But it never truly nailed me till money stopped coming in and I kept spending like it was. Work is now no more pretty much and I'm dying sitting on my a$$! To all of you with great jobs and all of that I'm jealous!! And need to figure out how to work my way to the top. Until then I think I'll just be stressed out wondering wtf I can do!! This blows a$$!!
    What? You mean you missed out on one of the five million jobs Obama created? How'd that happen? Too bad Romney didn't get elected. He was going to make twelve million jobs. I'm sure you would have nailed one of those.

I work for a company which helps employers reduce their unemployment tax rate. So we deal with this daily. Believe me -- the real unemployment rate is more like 25%. So don't feel like the lone stranger, Lee. It's a big boat, loads of guys are in it, and it's not getting any smaller.

Look at becoming an independent contractor in whatever field you know. That will be the new norm, soon as Obamacare kicks in. Employers will be looking to avoid the bennies by hiring indies.

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Sorry to hear about the economic downturn affecting you. Reading about it and hearing it on TV is one thing, but to know someone struggling with it really makes it sink in. I'm a firm believer that good things will happen to good people, so hang in there.
    Thank you sleev and Webmost....I believe in karma and hopefully I have done more good then evil in the world. I'm hoping this is a temporary bump in the road!! I have been faced with a lot if them. I'm sure things can only go up from this point and I will be very optimistic until I succeed or am proved wrong.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Sorry to hear that, Lee.
    As others have said though - keep your head up and keep yourself busy.

My $0.02, treat weekdays like they're still regular work days - block out part of the day to do all your "job searching"/"professional" activities - search job boards, linkedin, e-mail follow ups, update resume/cover letters, etc.

Then spend the other half of the day on your personal interests.
    As others have touched on - if you have some time to volunteer or can refine your current work skills, or learn new skills - that should help you out too, both personally and professionally.

You say you're a chef by trade?? If offering cooking classes doesn't work out - how about volunteering somewhere like a soup kitchen? I'd imagine something like that could easily turn into a paid position for you in the future.

Best of luck with the job search bro.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Sorry to hear this Lee, I think you should create the CCOM holiday cook book! Heck, I'd buy it!!!!
    Well charity work has paid off!! I've been doing some genre rail contracting for my friends family that couldn't afford it and well...I started a new career out of it. The friends liked my work so much this last week I have been running around doing so much and it's finally paying!! So very happy and thank god for word of mouth and good people to help keep me a float this season!!
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Well charity work has paid off!! I've been doing some genre rail contracting for my friends family that couldn't afford it and well...I started a new career out of it. The friends liked my work so much this last week I have been running around doing so much and it's finally paying!! So very happy and thank god for word of mouth and good people to help keep me a float this season!!
    Congrats man. Giving can really lead you to fantastic oppertunities. My fiance' has been sent half way across the world and had fantastic experiences some of which are starting to provided job opportunities because of service. Remember the feeling and continue to do what your doing so more opportunities come your way. Grats again.
    Imgembo:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Congrats man. Giving can really lead you to fantastic oppertunities. My fiance' has been sent half way across the world and had fantastic experiences some of which are starting to provided job opportunities because of service. Remember the feeling and continue to do what your doing so more opportunities come your way. Grats again.
    Thanks man!! Yeah giving is a good thing to do!! And the nice thing is all yous on the forum are the most generous people I have had the pleasure of knowing!! And that's great that your fiancé is finding new opportunities!! I wish the whole world were made of nice and deserving people!!
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    Congrats, Lee! Glad to hear that things have turned around for you!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    A chef huh. Check into trade schools, See if they are looking for instructors or if they don't have a cooking school maybe they might be interested in starting one.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Lee, you'll be comforted to hear you're now among the 7%.

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Very glad this is working out for you, but I have to know, what's "genre rail"? I'm guessing a "genre" of food, served buffet style? Hope it keeps working for you. Nothing beats effort on the road to success, sounds like your efforts are paying.
    Amos Umwhat:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Very glad this is working out for you, but I have to know, what's "genre rail"? I'm guessing a "genre" of food, served buffet style? Hope it keeps working for you. Nothing beats effort on the road to success, sounds like your efforts are paying.
    Lmao stupid auto correct!!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Awesome man I wish you the best! A positive attitude will do wonders!