Home Cigar 101

Humi-care Gel or Rectangular Humidification?

Rammer13Rammer13 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 21
I have a decent size humidor with about 100-125 cigars and during the past month or so, I haven't been able to keep my humidor at the right humidity. I currently have three rectangular humidifier's and I want to know if I should switch to the Gel? Does the gel do a better job then the rectangular humidifier? Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Boveda
    Def go with Boveda
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Kitty litter...it easy. sounds complicated, but it's easy. lasts longer then boveda. check the link Catfish kitty litter
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    i used bovedas for a long time never had a problme with them.just recently swicthed to crystals. they seem to hold betweem 68 to 70 consistently.just need to fill them with distilled water occasionaly
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    ddubridge:
    Kitty litter...it easy. sounds complicated, but it's easy. lasts longer then boveda. check the link Catfish kitty litter
    +1.
    After finding out about the kitty litter crystals from Catfish, I switched from beads to the crystals.
    I just bought 8 lbs from the grocery store for $8.
    Make sure you get non-scented and that.

But I've been on the crystals for about a month now and no fluctuations at all.
  • Rammer13Rammer13 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 21
    Has anyone tried the beads as a humidification device? I have heard that you never have to replace them as long as you take care of them, but any personal experiences?
    I recently switched from rectangular to beads. Couldnt get enought bead to fit in the humidor to hold proper humidity. I was blessed with Kitty Litter since then and havent had issues yet. I am in my Humi a lot and just didnt have great luck with beads holding rh. She holds firm with the kitty litter.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Beads, like anything else can go bad, develop mold or have problems.
    They do last quite a while and are easier to deal with in the humidifier than the foam, but if you are dealing with the cup/puck style humidifier, you are almost better off pitching it and using a bowl of crystals or beads.

I have an electronic humidifier in my tower and it currently has beads in it. Which I will switch out to crystals when it gets to the point where the start to discolor.

It all amounts to preference.
    0patience:
    Beads, like anything else can go bad, develop mold or have problems.
    They do last quite a while and are easier to deal with in the humidifier than the foam, but if you are dealing with the cup/puck style humidifier, you are almost better off pitching it and using a bowl of crystals or beads.

I have an electronic humidifier in my tower and it currently has beads in it. Which I will switch out to crystals when it gets to the point where the start to discolor.

It all amounts to preference.
    well said.