Home Non Cigar Related

For the drunks and vodka drinkers!

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
Just got home from my gig, and had an intersting conversation with the bar owner. Apparently you can take the cheapest vodka known to man, and run it through a Brita and it will change dramatically. Multiple employees were swearing by it, and judging by the mans bourbon collection, he's no slouch. If I still drank, I'd try it. I guess they run it through the filter 2-3 times and it turns Popov into Goose lol. Anyone try this?? Apparently it can work with some whiskeys as well, but he swore by the vodka as did the employees.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Makes me wanan get a filter now..
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    I dont believe it for a minute------that said, I have the urge to buy a Britta and a handle of Wolfschmidt.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Its not perfect science, but here is a link and apparently this was tried on mythbusters. Better than the taste however I would love to hear how the hangovers were different between say goose or van gogh vs Mr. Boston filtered.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100211123736AAf5zSO
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    catfishbluezz:
    Just got home from my gig, and had an intersting conversation with the bar owner. Apparently you can take the cheapest vodka known to man, and run it through a Brita and it will change dramatically. Multiple employees were swearing by it, and judging by the mans bourbon collection, he's no slouch. If I still drank, I'd try it. I guess they run it through the filter 2-3 times and it turns Popov into Goose lol. Anyone try this?? Apparently it can work with some whiskeys as well, but he swore by the vodka as did the employees.
    Abort mission! Abort Mission! Bombers return to base. Dustin doesnt drink anymore. Guess I should have done more research. Thank God I didnt send out that package yet.

p.s. sorry for semi stealing the thread
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I did this back in college with some Karkov vodka...it somewhat muted the burn and awful taste of the vodka, but it doesn't make it as god as a premium vodka like Ketel One, Stoli, G. Goose, etc. Is it worth it if you have a Brita filter laying around and want to save a few bucks, sure, but when I can get a 1.75 of Absolut for $22 or Svedka for $17 I will go that route instead of the Brita method.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    Abort mission! Abort Mission! Bombers return to base. Dustin doesnt drink anymore. Guess I should have done more research. Thank God I didnt send out that package yet.

i enjoy a craft beer, or one shot of scotch from time to time with cigars bro. I dig some bourbons as well, it just takes me a year to finish a bottle instead of a night ;)
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I did this back in college with some Karkov vodka...it somewhat muted the burn and awful taste of the vodka, but it doesn't make it as god as a premium vodka like Ketel One, Stoli, G. Goose, etc. Is it worth it if you have a Brita filter laying around and want to save a few bucks, sure, but when I can get a 1.75 of Absolut for $22 or Svedka for $17 I will go that route instead of the Brita method.
    interesting, I was wondering if anyone had as I figured this was something for the drunks, not the connoisseurs out there. Given this guy is not a vodka guy either, I as interested to see if anyone tried this.
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:

i enjoy a craft beer, or one shot of scotch from time to time with cigars bro. I dig some bourbons as well, it just takes me a year to finish a bottle instead of a night ;)
    Man I suck at this. Scotch was not on the radar. Looks like I need to do a little more research.
    Dude...it's all good man. I'm a one and done drinker honestly. You owe me nothing, just stick around and pay it forward.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Mythbusters did this - they bought a ton of vodka's, ran them through filters, then had a vodka tasting judge blind taste test them and rate them. Google around, it's gotta be somewhere on youtube or some

Turns out that running a cheap vodka through a brita filter WILL make it better, but it'll never be as good as top shelf stuff or even close.

EDIT - Boom, found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO077nu2m5E For this, they took (IIRC) two vodka's, one top-shelf, one cheap. The top shelf they left alone, the cheap they passed thru filtration - one sample went through once, another sample of the same cheap vodka went thru two filters, another sample went thru 3 filters, and so on. If you look close, you'll see they didn't use the same filter; they used a ton of brita filters for this experiment

catfishbluezz:
    Dude...it's all good man. I'm a one and done drinker honestly. You owe me nothing, just stick around and pay it forward.
    I am just very appreciative for all that you've helped me with. I was just trying to get in the swing of things.
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    I am just very appreciative for all that you've helped me with. I was just trying to get in the swing of things.
    all good man, I've kept a list of everyone who's hit me lol. I drink a lot more coffee these days them booze. I'm just paying forward the generosity shown to me.