Home Pipes

Smoke and old leather

mgk2020mgk2020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
Recently I've been smoking the Sutliff PS Bacchanalia, which I enjoyed very much, and a few people were kind enough to post some suggestions of similar blends I might enjoy. I'm going to pick those up, but I want to add something totally different, something that shouts smoke and old leather; the quintessential late night study smoke. Suggestions? Thanks in advance, Mason

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    That makes me think that Balkan Luxury is what you're looking for. Give it a try. First time I tried it I spent a couple days trying to remember where I'd smelled it before. It finally came to me, the market-place (Casbah) in Tetuan in northern Morocco. Smoke and leather and exotic spice.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    Sounds promising. I think I'll add it to my cart. Thanks for the response. Mason
  • slamb@cigar.comslamb@cigar.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    Another great one to try is McClellands Frogmorton: Frog on the Town, or the Series 221-b Black Shag or Series 221-b Arcadia; the latter two are some exceptional 19th century English Blends that are quite pleasing. In general I think you are looking for a blend that uses a good blend of Latakia and Oriental tobaccos.
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Another great one to try is McClellands Frogmorton: Frog on the Town, or the Series 221-b Black Shag or Series 221-b Arcadia; the latter two are some exceptional 19th century English Blends that are quite pleasing. In general I think you are looking for a blend that uses a good blend of Latakia and Oriental tobaccos.
    I've been smoking some of that 221-b Black Shag, and like it a lot. I'm planning to try that Frogmorton before too much longer. Assuming it's similar?
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I've been smoking some of that 221-b Black Shag, and like it a lot. I'm planning to try that Frogmorton before too much longer. Assuming it's similar?
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    I'll have to look those over and compare everything as best I can, I guess. Wish I had enough to buy them all, but I'll take a stab at one and save the rest for later. The Frogmorton is on the list by virtue of being Tolkien based - I'm a giant Tolkien nerd. Thanks for the additional recommendations and the advice on tobacco types. Mason
  • slamb@cigar.comslamb@cigar.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    The Frogmortons are different then the Series 221-B blends, but just as good. The Frog on the town is really nice, wonderful room note, and it has a touch of Basma in it to give a nice vanilla nuance in the back of ones palate. I am sure dear Bilbo would of enjoyed a pipe or two while watching over the South Farthing.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Mmmmm, love the Frog Mortons, though a few of them (can't recall which ATM) bother me when first lit; their casing is too sweet for my tastes, but after a few minutes it dies off and relaxes into a wonderful blend