Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

no mail on saturdays.

twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
just heard on the local news.post office planning on dropping mail delivery on saturdays starting in august.so looks like well all have to wait just a little longer for packages.Droppng stuff off to be delivered willl be a liitle harder.nice

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    The report I heard was that they would continue to "deliver" packages and Express Mail. But outgoing and the offices would be closed.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    beatnic:
    The report I heard was that they would continue to "deliver" packages and Express Mail. But outgoing and the offices would be closed.
    Well thats a little better. Thanks for the 411
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    From what I've gathered is the Po will still be open but normal mail delivery will not happen. There for I see no reason not to use another way of shipping. Saturday deliveries is one of the only reasons I use USPS
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Yes, beatnic and Lee...that's what I gathered as well.

[The] "U.S. Postal Service said Wednesday it will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to disburse packages six days a week, an apparent end-run around an unaccommodating Congress."
    "Under the new plan, mail would be delivered to homes and businesses only from Monday through Friday, but would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays."

Article
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Slightly off-topic, but related in that it might be one (of many, I'm sure) wasteful reason the USPS has to cutback. I've never seen this before, so let me know if it's my town or if this is now country-wide. My mail carrier actually has to scan my mailbox when he drops of my mail! There is a little barcode there for him and he carries a scanner (this was an issue when I wanted to change mailboxes, I had to keep the old one there for about a month). That sounds pretty crazy, but it gets worse: he has to do it even if I have no mail that day! That's right, he has to hoof it up to my door empty-handed just to scan the box!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Ken Light:
    Slightly off-topic, but related in that it might be one (of many, I'm sure) wasteful reason the USPS has to cutback. I've never seen this before, so let me know if it's my town or if this is now country-wide. My mail carrier actually has to scan my mailbox when he drops of my mail! There is a little barcode there for him and he carries a scanner (this was an issue when I wanted to change mailboxes, I had to keep the old one there for about a month). That sounds pretty crazy, but it gets worse: he has to do it even if I have no mail that day! That's right, he has to hoof it up to my door empty-handed just to scan the box!
    same here in Michigan. I was out doing yard work one day last fall and I met the mail man half way. Didnt matter, he had to scan my mailbox so he had to walk all the way to my house anyway. pretty dumb. let this be a warning to you mail box destroyers...my bar code is not bomb proof and the mail man wont give me mail unless I have a bar code. Lol.

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    same here in Michigan. I was out doing yard work one day last fall and I met the mail man half way. Didnt matter, he had to scan my mailbox so he had to walk all the way to my house anyway. pretty dumb. let this be a warning to you mail box destroyers...my bar code is not bomb proof and the mail man wont give me mail unless I have a bar code. Lol.

Never heard of that or seen it around here ..... maybe it's something to keep the carriers "accountable" and make sure they're actually doing their route/delivering mail each day and not just taking a nap in the truck .... weird though.
  • ThreadJacker3000ThreadJacker3000 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 171
    "Now you know, and knowing is __________________" anyone? anyone?
  • ehehatehehat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,534
    half the battle- GI JOE!!!! This is fun.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    ThreadJacker3000:
    "Now you know, and knowing is __________________" anyone? anyone?
    half the battle!
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    half the battle GIJ. You got triple effed.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    They don't scan here. They don't walk to the door either. In fact, if someone parks their car in the street, or if you don't shovel snow close enough to the box, or if the trash man leaves your barrel in the gutter, to where the mailman thinks he might have to stretch out an arm or step out of his truck, then he won't stop for you.

... and about twice a week he doesn't bother to come down our street at all.

• jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    beatnic:
    what i read so who knows with the gubment,lol

The postal service said on Wednesday it will continue to deliver packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail on Saturday, but not letters, bills, cards, and catalogs. Post offices which are now open on Saturdays will continue to be open on Saturdays.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/postal-service-bids-farewell-mail-delivery-saturdays-1B8262819
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    webmost:
    They don't scan here. They don't walk to the door either. In fact, if someone parks their car in the street, or if you don't shovel snow close enough to the box, or if the trash man leaves your barrel in the gutter, to where the mailman thinks he might have to stretch out an arm or step out of his truck, then he won't stop for you.

... and about twice a week he doesn't bother to come down our street at all.

Same here!!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Never heard the bar code situation. That's getting close to intrusion. I still get a walk-up mailman deliver to my house. Sometimes being in a "slow-to-change state has its' advantages.

A few friends of mine keep carrier pigeons for the sport. Perhaps I'll join in and just exchange mail with them the old fashion way. And its' much quicker. LOL