Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

An Ingenuous Bomb

webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
I tell you, in the short year and two months that I have been smoking cigars I have easily smoked three which were given to me for every one which I bought. It's touching really. And now I want you guys to suspend judgement for a moment and look at the most touching gift box I have received to date:

Consider the source: I have a client Russ who runs stamp collectors auctions. The biggest challenge to his success is finding material to auction. It's a graying hobby, so collections come up for auction when Uncle Jimmy passes away leaving his stamps to Josh, who has no clue what to do with these boxes of albums. So Russ spends a lot of his time hunting up these lots, assessing their value, and convincing Josh to consign with him. It's very competitive. I had not seen Russ himself since before I began smoking stogies. I worked with Russ' office manager. Last Fall, I urged the office manager to consider a social media campaign to bring younger traffic to his business. I tried to rope Robby Ras into talking to her, maybe get him some business, but Rob was unresponsive. I pointed out to her all the forums, tweets, chats, YouTube videos, etc. devoted to cigars. Stamps being such a graphic hobby, it seemed like it would be a natural pairing, even more than cigars, cause you don't have to smell or taste a stamp. This must have got back to Russ. Recently the office manager got canned. So Wednesday I sit down with Russ and my new contact there, and we go over which direction we should take their old outdated site next. At the end of our meeting, Russ jumps up and proudly announces he has a gift for me. Somewhere in his travels, Russ runs onto this White Owl box in Jimmy's den, thought of me, and scored it. He hands me this pasteboard humidor filled with vintage cigars. I know they are vintage because the box says "Consolidated Cigars" on it, so it's gotta be from before Altadis. We do not know how many years Uncle Jimmy was laid up in one of those pre-mortem warehouses where they put old people these days, but we can assume they don't allow cigars in there.

Look inside:

There's a second bonus box! A pristine unopened Dutch Masters ten Presidents. Ay Chihuahua!

Shoulda seen the grin on Russ' face. What is it about cigars that brings out the gifter in men?

I consider myself elf elf the luckiest man an an in the world orld orld.

Hey
Anyone know a way to date these gems? There are eight digit barcode labels on the backs: 31700 90006 and 71610 50030 if that helps.

Comments