Top Shelf Giveaway from CigarBoss App - 09 OpusX Maduro FINAL HOURS

robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
We've got a new giveaway on RRR! The prize pack includes the following:
2009 Opus X Maduro
Tatuaje Mexican Experiment
L'at 52
Viaje Super Shot 12 Criollo
Viaje Fat Man

No Twitter or Facebook required, though you can tweet and follow for extra credit. Just post a comment and you're entered! Be sure to enter by Midnight Pacific on Wednesday. Winner will be announced LIVE on CigarChat at 5PM PST on Thursday!

Click on the image below to enter. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Top Shelf Giveaway

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    there seems to be some server issues today... I think they have been fixed, but the site may be a bit slow...so thanks for your patience
    LAST DAY TO ENTER! Be sure to enter by Midnight PST! Winner will be announced LIVE during CigarChat tomorrow...
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Outstonishing indeed.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Cool contest brother!! Thanks!!
    Would love to enter (and would also visit your site more often) but it takes foorrrrreeevvveerrr to load.

And it looks like your site's down right now too, just FYI. Any plans to upgrade your host/server soon?

I've been having lots of issues accessing robbyrasreviews.com lately, and sorry to say this brother, but FWIW - I don't visit the site that much anymore because of these issues.

WTF,,, Now it's working --- and I look like the a$$hole....
    (Sorry Rob)

But seriously, IDK if it's an issue on my end or your end, but something's been screwy lately and I have all sorts of problems visiting your site. Try to visit it on ipad, laptop, etc. and have problems with all the devices. No idea...

jgibv:
    (Sorry Rob)

But seriously, IDK if it's an issue on my end or your end, but something's been screwy lately and I have all sorts of problems visiting your site. Try to visit it on ipad, laptop, etc. and have problems with all the devices. No idea...

ha... there have been some server issues over the last few months... it was REAL bad on Monday... but i'm looking in to moving to a different service... so no, it's not just you... it should be good for the foreseeable future though
    robbyras:
    jgibv:
    (Sorry Rob)

ha... there have been some server issues over the last few months... it was REAL bad on Monday... but i'm looking in to moving to a different service... so no, it's not just you... it should be good for the foreseeable future though
    Got ya, well glad you're aware of it and best of look with the upgrades/migration to the new service.

Thanks for all the great content - news/reviews/contests/etc!!!
    Let us know when you get moved to the new service, I will definitely check your site more often if I know I won't have to fight with connection issues....
    5 hours left to enter! Contest closes at Midnight Pacific!
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    robbyras:
    jgibv:
    (Sorry Rob)

It might not be you at all Rob. Your site has to load so many banners and scripts and stuff from so many remote sites that it may well be one or more of those other sites who are slowing the process. Plus the fact that WordPress is slow as molasses in January for the browser to render anyways. In which case, shifting to a new server won't help a bit. You kind of have a blivet there: ten pounds of poop in a one pound bag.

Here's a couple quick ideas off the top of my head:

You don't want to cut down the banners, because the money has to come from somewhere. But you could certainly help control the speed of the process by stashing all the banners locally so that you feed them from your own box rather than fetching them at a distance. Look at that rack of banners on the right, for instance. All fetched from photobucket.

Then OPTIMIZE your images. Once high speed internet came along, everyone stopped optimizing images, and that took us right back where we started speed-wise. Look again at the rack of banners on the right. Ezra Zion is 30kb, Reyes is 18kb, but CCS in between them is 159kb. There's no need for that. Even the full width stogie boys banner is only 43kb.

So many people access the web these days over wireless tablets or smart phones that it's important to optimize code and images. But the simple techniques to do so have been ignored ever since high speed cable and such. Give me a shout if you want to discuss. You know my phone number. Not fishing for money -- I like your site a lot. But I'm with Gibbs on this one. I would like to sit on the throne and access RRR on my Atrix; but it's too slow wireless, and would never load over a cell connection. I've stood in the B&M looking for a review on RRR and it won't load. I have to access from my hard wired tower here to make any headway.

I dunno. Maybe I should have written all this in a PM; but here I am now, so...

Your site is a great resource dude. Love the interviews.

• wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Entered the contest last night. Thanks for hosting the giveaway, Robby. I'll be working today during the live cigarchat though. Will the winner's name be posted?
    webmost:
    robbyras:
    jgibv:
    (Sorry Rob)

It might not be you at all Rob. Your site has to load so many banners and scripts and stuff from so many remote sites that it may well be one or more of those other sites who are slowing the process. Plus the fact that WordPress is slow as molasses in January for the browser to render anyways. In which case, shifting to a new server won't help a bit. You kind of have a blivet there: ten pounds of poop in a one pound bag.

Here's a couple quick ideas off the top of my head:

You don't want to cut down the banners, because the money has to come from somewhere. But you could certainly help control the speed of the process by stashing all the banners locally so that you feed them from your own box rather than fetching them at a distance. Look at that rack of banners on the right, for instance. All fetched from photobucket.

Then OPTIMIZE your images. Once high speed internet came along, everyone stopped optimizing images, and that took us right back where we started speed-wise. Look again at the rack of banners on the right. Ezra Zion is 30kb, Reyes is 18kb, but CCS in between them is 159kb. There's no need for that. Even the full width stogie boys banner is only 43kb.

So many people access the web these days over wireless tablets or smart phones that it's important to optimize code and images. But the simple techniques to do so have been ignored ever since high speed cable and such. Give me a shout if you want to discuss. You know my phone number. Not fishing for money -- I like your site a lot. But I'm with Gibbs on this one. I would like to sit on the throne and access RRR on my Atrix; but it's too slow wireless, and would never load over a cell connection. I've stood in the B&M looking for a review on RRR and it won't load. I have to access from my hard wired tower here to make any headway.

I dunno. Maybe I should have written all this in a PM; but here I am now, so...

Your site is a great resource dude. Love the interviews.

DAAAAAM Son! This is some great feedback... it's all in the works to pick up the pace, but the image stuff is a simple fix that I can make on my end. I do appreciate all of this info and will put it to good use! Thanks for the "On the Throne" image btw... just lovely...
    wwhwang:
    Entered the contest last night. Thanks for hosting the giveaway, Robby. I'll be working today during the live cigarchat though. Will the winner's name be posted?
    Sweet! Glad you could enter! We will announce the winner tonight on the show, but if the winner isn't there, I'll reach out to him/her via email. So no, you don't have to be present to win...
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    What time is the show Robby? Don't wanna miss it EST.
    Glock1975:
    What time is the show Robby? Don't wanna miss it EST.
    5PM PST / 8PM EST
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Thanks, lookin forward to it
    Winner has been selected... Not sure if Josh is a Ccom guy or not thought... thanks to all who participated!
    BTW, the site should be loading a LOT faster... looks like there was a corrupt widget, which sounds like something from The Shire... anyway, I HOPE this was the answer
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    congrats to him, but damn that guy i think winning a contest is the only way i am going to be able to try any of those cigars.....
    ha... well I know where you can get those Viaje Super Shots and the Lat...
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    robbyras:
    do you know what my wife would do to me if i spent that kind of money on a single cigar? Let's just say that i think it would be illegal in about 35 states.
    brianetz1:
    robbyras:
    do you know what my wife would do to me if i spent that kind of money on a single cigar? Let's just say that i think it would be illegal in about 35 states.
    Ha! i hear ya... but the Super Shots are like $6.50