Mold vs Plume

124»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Jsav33:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Jsav33:
    kuzi16:
    looks like mold to me. though it is fairly evenly on the surface it looks like it is over the wrapper and has structure to it.

there is also no sparkle.
    That's what I was afraid of.. Didn't want to throw them out since they are my last two Cubans.. Atleast its only two I guess. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it!
    this is another good reason to leave the cello on so no other sticks get affected
    Thankfully these were the only two sticks in the case.. But this brings me to another question. What are the pros and cons to leaving the cello on vs taking it off... Fairly new to the cigar world so just trying to gain some knowledge. I'm sure I could search the forum and find my answer lol
    mold can still grow with cello on.

every cigar already has spores on them. weather the spores grow into full on mold or not depends on the conditions the cigars are in and the species of mold.

cellophane on or off is all about personal opinion. search "cellophane" or "cello" in this forum for MANY threads about it. lets keep this thread about mold and plume
  • Proper StrangerProper Stranger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    I'm here seeking some advice. I have a box of Oliva V Melanios that's been in my cooler for the last 8 months or so. My brother was in town for the holidays, and I wanted to send him home with a couple. I opened the box to discover a decent sized mold spot (about 2x5mm) on one of the caps. It was definitely mold, but I think I caught it fairly early. I couldn't spot anything serious on the other cigars in the box, but after looking them over for a while, even lint from the table cloth starts to look like mold.

Here is what I've done.
    1. Removed the box from the cooler.
    2. Separated the cigars from the affected box using plastic bags (one for those closest to the affected stick, another for those farther away).
    3. I cut the affected cigar to determine whether the mold was coming from inside or just on the surface. It was just surface mold.

I've got a couple questions.
    1. Do I need to take more steps to protect the rest of the cooler? The box was closed the entire time it was in there except when I opened it to smoke one a couple months back. I checked the rest of the cooler and found no issues. (50qts, so I'm hoping I don't have to).
    2. Should I attempt to salvage the remaining 8 sticks from the box? If so, are there any steps to take other than storing them in separate, sealed bags? Can I reasonably throw those bags back in the cooler?
    3. It's not really a question, but I'm not sure how this happened. The cooler never gets over 70% (usually ~66% at the top and ~68% at the bottom). Beyond that, the Melanio box has a false bottom the conceals a 69% Boveda pack. That should definitely prevent this, right?

I appreciate any sage advice you all can give.

Thanks.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Proper Stranger:
    I'm here seeking some advice. I have a box of Oliva V Melanios that's been in my cooler for the last 8 months or so. My brother was in town for the holidays, and I wanted to send him home with a couple. I opened the box to discover a decent sized mold spot (about 2x5mm) on one of the caps. It was definitely mold, but I think I caught it fairly early. I couldn't spot anything serious on the other cigars in the box, but after looking them over for a while, even lint from the table cloth starts to look like mold.

Here is what I've done.
    1. Removed the box from the cooler.
    2. Separated the cigars from the affected box using plastic bags (one for those closest to the affected stick, another for those farther away).
    3. I cut the affected cigar to determine whether the mold was coming from inside or just on the surface. It was just surface mold.

I've got a couple questions.
    1. Do I need to take more steps to protect the rest of the cooler? The box was closed the entire time it was in there except when I opened it to smoke one a couple months back. I checked the rest of the cooler and found no issues. (50qts, so I'm hoping I don't have to).
    2. Should I attempt to salvage the remaining 8 sticks from the box? If so, are there any steps to take other than storing them in separate, sealed bags? Can I reasonably throw those bags back in the cooler?
    3. It's not really a question, but I'm not sure how this happened. The cooler never gets over 70% (usually ~66% at the top and ~68% at the bottom). Beyond that, the Melanio box has a false bottom the conceals a 69% Boveda pack. That should definitely prevent this, right?

I appreciate any sage advice you all can give.

Thanks.
    I think your ok on the cooler, being that it was in a sealed box an just a surface spot. Yes salvage the remaining sticks. You can wipe down the box that ther were in, curious was the mold spot on top bottom side of the cigar? Not sure how it happened either usually happens with cigars in cedar sleeves, was there cedar or paper lining the cigar box? Yea id also probably take the boveda pack out. Hope this helps