Home Cigar 101

Retrohale question

RoosterTXRoosterTX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
Is retrohaling (sp?) supposed to burn the living daylights out of your sinuses? I just tried it for the first time and my sinuses screamed at me and gave me a wicked headache. That said I can now taste a whole bunch of pepper in this 262 Revere....

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    That's ok and normal. Start with semi-retrohale then slowly move into full retrohale. A little practice and time will fix the problem. If you want to enjoy the full flavors, aroma and background note than there is no substitute of retrohale.
    RoosterTX:
    Is retrohaling (sp?) supposed to burn the living daylights out of your sinuses? I just tried it for the first time and my sinuses screamed at me and gave me a wicked headache. That said I can now taste a whole bunch of pepper in this 262 Revere....
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    BTW, welcome to the forum Nathan.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    RoosterTX:
    yeah lol certain sticks have much more spice to them!! My suggestion would be to maybe go a tad milder on a stick. Something that isn't very peppery is always a good way to break in your nostrals lol. But you should also try what rip has said
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Only retro the last half of the exhale for sure. Once you get used to it, the burn will subside. However, the retro is a very good indicator of the quality of tobacco IMO. The interaction of the retro and the exhale on your palette will open up the profile to your senses.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Also, if you scorch the foot then retro...um, yeah,I retro just about every hit.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    RoosterTX:
    Just be thankful it wasn't a punisher those first few puffs thru the nose will wake you up.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Oh you might also want to avoid the mow ruination as it will take out your nose hair if your not ready for it lol
  • RoosterTXRoosterTX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    Thanks guy. I bucked up, retrohaled smaller amounts, and my sinuses got used to it. Able to taste a lot more cocoa and pepper than previously. Love learning new things.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    RoosterTX:
    Thanks guy. I bucked up, retrohaled smaller amounts, and my sinuses got used to it. Able to taste a lot more cocoa and pepper than previously. Love learning new things.
    also try it on milder cigars. you will get less burn and more flavor.
    example: Avo classic, Avo XO and Davidoff thousand series can have a 100% retrohale with no issue, no burn and flavors you wont get just through the mouth.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    You will get a burn until you do it right. It takes time and short periods of uncomfortableness.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Or you can just Retrohale some Intensos, burn the nose hair out clean out the sinuses and the rest will be a breeze! LOL
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Or you can just Retrohale some Intensos, burn the nose hair out clean out the sinuses and the rest will be a breeze! LOL
    mmm One of my favorites. Seems I'm always having to order them.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Just a quick plug - pipe tobacco doesn't burn when you retrohale. I can sit out on the porch and retrohale some Frog Morton for 2 hrs, every puff, and not get burned once Big Smile [:D]
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    kuzi16:
    RoosterTX:
    also try it on milder cigars. you will get less burn and more flavor.
    example: Avo classic, Avo XO and Davidoff thousand series can have a 100% retrohale with no issue, no burn and flavors you wont get just through the mouth.
    agreed, also for some reason I have similiar experiences with a good conny broadleaf Maduro when it is blended medium.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    xmacro:
    Just a quick plug - pipe tobacco doesn't burn when you retrohale. I can sit out on the porch and retrohale some Frog Morton for 2 hrs, every puff, and not get burned once Big Smile [:D]
    Nice, isn't it?
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Oh, it's quite delightful. Once the molasses (or whatever it is) casing wears off, it's 2 hours of bliss with whatever I'm reading