Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

....finally got the new vanity installed

jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
Check it out!!!

9405503699300344772624 --- Medic45
9405503699300344772655 --- hardcz
9405503699300344772679 --- ????
9405503699300344772648 --- ????
(Huge sorry for the delay guys, never thought yesterday would have taken so long)

What should have been a 4 hr job ended up taking 12 ...
Every time we "fixed" the problem, 2 more things would go wrong ..... it was a very frustrating, cluster f**k of a day to say the least....
Still got some trim work to do and will be repainting the whole bathroom later in the spring, but for now it's all hooked up and works (and most importantly no leaks!)

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    LOL I like your style
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    danielzreyes:
    LOL I like your style
    Glad you like it!!!

And hope you don't mind me borrowing your style .... you were my inspiration ;-)
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:
    LOL I like your style
    Glad you like it!!!

And hope you don't mind me borrowing your style .... you were my inspiration ;-)
    Me mind? nahhh. I encourage it lol
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Very nice! Just glad you didn't put in a new toilet..though you sitting on it holding boxes would have been hella funny! Daniel?... free idea for ya.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Wow,that looks fantastic. Great job!!The wife and I want to do this in our bathroom. Do you have any tips and/or tricks? I'm going to lay some new tile and install a double vanity to replace what we have there now. I'm not the best at doing this but I like doing these projects myself. After this, we are going to replace the counter tops in our kitchen. I'm honestly dreading that and thinking of paying for that to be done.
    james40:
    Wow,that looks fantastic. Great job!!The wife and I want to do this in our bathroom. Do you have any tips and/or tricks? I'm going to lay some new tile and install a double vanity to replace what we have there now. I'm not the best at doing this but I like doing these projects myself. After this, we are going to replace the counter tops in our kitchen. I'm honestly dreading that and thinking of paying for that to be done.
    Going TJ3K here. James, what do you have in your kitchen now? What did you want to install?
    james40:
    Thanks dude ....

Umm ,,,, as far as tips and tricks go, prepare to be frustrated.

Will you be running new supply or drain lines to that room? If so, I will post some additional tips....

But if not, then I assume you will be able use the plumbing that's already there, where it's coming out of the wall?

If you can use the plumbing that's already there ..... TIPS:
    1)
    Take out your old vanity, buy a good 25 foot snake and !!!!! SNAKE THE DRAIN LINE FIRST !!!!!! Our house was built in 1920 and there was a ton of $hit in the line, which we discovered after we had everything hooked up, installed, went to test it and the water wasn't draining out of the sink basin ... fvck.

2)
    If you have to add any more piping/couplings/elbows, etc. to the lines -- keep it all the same type of metal!!! If you discover two different types touching, like brass on steel --- take it apart and put it back together with all the same kind!!!!
    The previous people at our house did not follow this rule which was the whole reason the drain line was so effed up ..... they had installed a brass coupling onto a steel nipple (BIG NO NO!!!) and the two pieces were literally being held together by rust. Wish I'd have taken a picture but the coupling, it was so bad it disintegrated in my hand when I tried to pick it up.....I'm amazed it wasn't leaking .....

3)
    Install the faucet on the vanity top before you attach the top to the base .... this made life a lot easier.

Are you going to lay new tile for the floor? .... or just for the walls/vanity top....
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    jgibv:
    james40:
    Thanks dude ....

Will you be running new supply or drain lines to that room? If so, I will post some additional tips....

But if not, then I assume you will be able use the plumbing that's already there, where it's coming out of the wall?

1)
    Take out your old vanity, buy a good 25 foot snake and !!!!! SNAKE THE DRAIN LINE FIRST !!!!!! Our house was built in 1920 and there was a ton of $hit in the line, which we discovered after we had everything hooked up, installed, went to test it and the water wasn't draining out of the sink basin ... fvck.

2)
    If you have to add any more piping/couplings/elbows, etc. to the lines -- keep it all the same type of metal!!! If you discover two different types touching, like brass on steel --- take it apart and put it back together with all the same kind!!!!
    The previous people at our house did not follow this rule which was the whole reason the drain line was so effed up ..... they had installed a brass coupling onto a steel nipple (BIG NO NO!!!) and the two pieces were literally being held together by rust. Wish I'd have taken a picture but the coupling, it was so bad it disintegrated in my hand when I tried to pick it up.....I'm amazed it wasn't leaking .....

3)
    Install the faucet on the vanity top before you attach the top to the base .... this made life a lot easier.

Are you going to lay new tile for the floor? .... or just for the walls/vanity top....
    This looks awesome bro, thanks for the tips!
    mmccartneydc:
    jgibv:
    james40:
    Thanks dude ....

1)

2)

3)

This looks awesome bro, thanks for the tips!
    Also, check out this website for a ton of more good info, tips, ideas, etc.
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/bathrooms

And YUP ... no prob. I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to have to experience the frustration and anger we went through yesterday trying to get this damn thing to work, LOL
    jgibv:
    james40:
    Thanks dude ....

1)

2)

3)

I'm going to reuse the existing water lines and cross my fingers I don't need to add or modify the threads, fittings, or pipes. Are there any recommended "have on hand" tools?

I'm going to lay down some vinyl flooring I bought at Costco, it's a snap together type like laminate wood.

I watch the show "Love it or List it" and since it's based in Canada, there are tons of houses 80+ years old they work on. It's interesting to see the challenges they face, including what you already went through. While it can be difficult and frustrating to own a house like yours, it's full of character you just can't find anymore. I just noticed we joined cigar.com on the same day and year. Pretty cool. Thanks again.
    james40:
    I'm going to reuse the existing water lines and cross my fingers I don't need to add or modify the threads, fittings, or pipes. Are there any recommended "have on hand" tools?

I'm going to lay down some vinyl flooring I bought at Costco, it's a snap together type like laminate wood.

I watch the show "Love it or List it" and since it's based in Canada, there are tons of houses 80+ years old they work on. It's interesting to see the challenges they face, including what you already went through. While it can be difficult and frustrating to own a house like yours, it's full of character you just can't find anymore. Thanks again.
    Ok, a couple thoughts come to mind .... is there a double vanity there now??
    If not, you will have to install a few pieces to make it work --- since you'll now need 2 sets of supply lines for the 2 faucets. (And connecting the two sink basins to 1 wall drain will be easy, hardware stores usually have the p-trap assemblies in kits and you can buy one made for a double vanity, should have everything you need in one package)

And, for the actual plumbing part ---- I'd recommend having a smaller crescent wrench, channel lock, and a pair of pliers. If you're going to have to install/replace any of the fittings where you'll need a lot of torque, get 2 pipe wrenches and don't forget plumbers tape!

And FWIW, (IDK much about vinyl flooring) --- but when we installed the snap-together/floating hardwood in our house, some of the kinds could not be used in high humidity environments like bathrooms ---- I don't know if it's the same for laminate but, if you haven't already, double check and make sure your product can be used in a bathroom --- if not you could have some issues.
    jgibv:
    james40:

I watch the show "Love it or List it" and since it's based in Canada, there are tons of houses 80+ years old they work on. It's interesting to see the challenges they face, including what you already went through. While it can be difficult and frustrating to own a house like yours, it's full of character you just can't find anymore. Thanks again.
    Ok, a couple thoughts come to mind .... is there a double vanity there now??
    If not, you will have to install a few pieces to make it work --- since you'll now need 2 sets of supply lines for the 2 faucets. (And connecting the two sink basins to 1 wall drain will be easy, hardware stores usually have the p-trap assemblies in kits and you can buy one made for a double vanity, should have everything you need in one package)

And, for the actual plumbing part ---- I'd recommend having a smaller crescent wrench, channel lock, and a pair of pliers. If you're going to have to install/replace any of the fittings where you'll need a lot of torque, get 2 pipe wrenches and don't forget plumbers tape!

And FWIW, (IDK much about vinyl flooring) --- but when we installed the snap-together/floating hardwood in our house, some of the kinds could not be used in high humidity environments like bathrooms ---- I don't know if it's the same for laminate but, if you haven't already, double check and make sure your product can be used in a bathroom --- if not you could have some issues.
    Yes, double vanity already there. The vinyl is designed for bathrooms so I should be good but thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks again man, I really appreciate the help and advice.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Awesome John, love the pic and your insanity! As for the vanity, dude way to go bro you do some phenomenal work!
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Looks great bro, I'm sure Daniel is proud.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    I must say in all honesty, I like that vanity.