Home Non Cigar Related

Is it getting Hot?

2»

Comments

• VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    And.... 2012 was the hottest year on record.... Oh yea... if you dig deeper... it was also one of the coldest ever. But when you read from both sides you only get one side of the story. Its all BS from both sides of the coin. 2010 was the coldest year since 86.... I thought we were getting warmer??
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    FWIW

"Higher northern latitudes are getting warmer, Arctic sea ice and the duration of snow cover are diminishing, the growing season is getting longer and plants are growing more," said Ranga Myneni of Boston University's Department of Earth and Environment. "In the north's Arctic and boreal areas, the characteristics of the seasons are changing, leading to great disruptions for plants and related ecosystems."

Source:
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/growth-shift.html
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    JDH:
    You are ignoring the historical facts of record that indicate that the majority of those opposing the scientific conclusions that the earth is round, and not flat, did so because they believed, on un-scientific religious grounds, that the earth was the center of the universe. Remember what happened to Galileo? Remember a little thing called the Inquisition? You are overlooking the influence of the Church, and the widespread fear of any opposition to the religious dogma of the Church, which sought to crush scientific reasoning in favor of religious dogma.

One of my favorite people in history, Omar Khayyam, was bannished from the Persian Empire for quite beautifully illustrating to the Muslim clerics that the world was round, that it rotated, and that the constellations did not rotate around the Earth.

Wish we could spend more time focusing on how we affect, interact, and preserve the Earth instead of arguing over who made it!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I was just wondering ...... If given a choice, would you prefer this globe to get 1° cooler, or 1° warmer? Its' going to do one or the other. We have 5 billion years worth of data that tells us so.

Manmade Global warming has not been proven. An increase in CO2 during the past few decades has not shown itself as an engine of global warming. For every instance where you can show a particular iceberg melting, another can be shown to be growing. And I have yet to see a "scientist" prove, either way, that CO2 changes cause temperature changes. The formula does not exist. Solar activity is far more representative of the actual temperature changes over the last century. And that has been proven and can be predicted.

Manmade Global Warming is a hoax of the highest degree. Those of us who grew up during the 1970's remember when the greenhouse effect was going to bring in the new Ice Age.

I had a hard line, right wing religious fanatic give me the whole "What if you're wrong?" speech the other day about religion. Wouldn't I want to be on the safe side? (Absolutely horrible arguement) I asked her the same question regarding Global Warming. Amazing how she tried to tap dance around that one.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Again, at the basic level we are talking about using less fossil fuels, recycling, less polution, ect. You know....basically leaving the rock we live on a little nicer than how we received it. Yet, the arrogance and selfishness of the indivdual and the now continues to shine through.
    Vulchor:
    Again, at the basic level we are talking about using less fossil fuels, recycling, less polution, ect. You know....basically leaving the rock we live on a little nicer than how we received it. Yet, the arrogance and selfishness of the indivdual and the now continues to shine through.
    Convince the ever more consuming, fossil fuel gobbling, money grubbing, spokesman for the cause, Al Gore into that and the rest of us will follow suit.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Continuing to deny personal responsibility by using the "he did it first" argument, its like kindergarten with the earth's future at stake.
    Forget global warming. How about oil spills, pollution, smog, acid rain, etc. How about toxic wastes, land fills,water contamination, massive decreases in shoreline oxygen producing algaes. I can think of tons of reasons to take better care of our planet. You can only come up with a few to keep polluting it!
    clearlysuspect:
    Forget global warming. How about oil spills, pollution, smog, acid rain, etc. How about toxic wastes, land fills,water contamination, massive decreases in shoreline oxygen producing algaes. I can think of tons of reasons to take better care of our planet. You can only come up with a few to keep polluting it!
    I would agree with you on every one of those issues. And everyone of those issues has been studied and proven and we, but for lack of money, can address each of them successfully. However, man-made global warming (CO2 based argument) has never been proven. And it would seem to me that those who believe in it are denying real science. JMO
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    clearlysuspect:

First thing we need to do is stop producing computers, TVs, electronic components, mattresses, rubber tires, microwaves, batteries, air conditioners, refrigerators, humidors and cigar boxes (we need to save those trees too)..... where does it stop.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    clearlysuspect:
    I had a hard line, right wing religious fanatic give me the whole "What if you're wrong?" speech the other day about religion. Wouldn't I want to be on the safe side? (Absolutely horrible arguement) I asked her the same question regarding Global Warming. Amazing how she tried to tap dance around that one.
    I'm certainly not "right wing" as most would have it, but I am a religious fanatic of sorts, and I can give you plenty of Biblical reasons to take care of the environment to use on her the next time, too.