Home Non Cigar Related

24 Hour Duty

RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
I hate it. That is all.

Comments

• raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I am saluting you. For real. Thank you for your commitment and hard work for the protection of our country.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Ft. Hood... its not Hell... but you can see the gates from there. I always despised excessive duty time. Not saying I disliked the job.. just wanted to split it into reasonable chunks of time.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    raisindot:
    I am saluting you. For real. Thank you for your commitment and hard work for the protection of our country.
    Dang man, now I feel bad for complaining! Just kidding, thanks for your kind words!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I hear you. At Ft. Riley, Home of the Big Red One, if you were in the barracks oh, say 4 hours after your 24 hr duty, they'd roust you out & off to the motor pool. I'd grown up on Army bases, and pointed out the long-standing tradition of having the next day off, at which point I was told "we only have to give you four hours off, now get your ass to the motor pool".

Gosh, why don't more guys re-enlist?

So, after that I kept a sleeping bag, clothes, potatoes & onions, mess-kit, fishing rod in my truck and as soon as I turned in the keys I went straight to the truck & off to the lake. The back side of Milford lake, on a peninsula that you could observe the bridge that anyone would have to cross to get to where you were.

Sure enough, here comes a familiar blue IROC, and Robinson, the loader on my tank, is showing Sgt. Leonard where I fish. Backed the truck up to the top of the hill and put my camoflaging skills to work, knowing I had at least 15 minutes before they'd get to where I was. I could hear them talking as they went by, "Where the hell is he, Robinson? You just brought me out here joy-riding, didn't you? I've got something special for you when we get back!"

Laughed my ass off.
    Back at the barracks, I couldn't help but ask Robinson (who was covered in mud & oil, very unusual for him) "So, you and Sgt. Leonard have a good time 'joy-riding' today?"
    Made my night.
    ;)