Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Kitty Litter go BOOM!!!!

AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
Thanks Drew (ddubridge).... what a caring man! He must have been so concerned about the well-being of my stogies... isn't this touching!!!

I guess I have joined the ranks of kitty litter users. It really was just a matter of time..... I am actually excited to try!!!!

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Good luck with it! After using KL in my cooler and trying it in my humi, I will use it from now on. Cooler stays rock solid, and it's cheap as hell! :)

yours is even Hello Kitty brand!! You need daniel to make you a hello kitty stogie stand too! Lol!
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    I have a rectangular humidifier that previously had foam in it. I assume I can fill this with litter?
    AVJim:
    I have a rectangular humidifier that previously had foam in it. I assume I can fill this with litter?
    I bet you can! I put mine in pantyhose and tie ends. But, as long as dust and KL wont fall through the screen, you're good.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Hehehe.......(snicker, snicker)
    Keep chuckling Matt.... keep chuckling.
    So..... I replaced the planters foam in two of my humidifiers with kitty litter (was going to replace them with Paradigms anyway - so no loss if the litter didn't work). The RH is each had a tendancy to go a little high in each from time to time, I contributed this to the crappy foam humidifiers and to counter this, had to put in dry cedar blocks to suck up the extra RH. This works but it is a pain in the butt. So, I take out the foam and the blocks..... each are holding steady at 68%.... WTF!!! You guys are not nuts! I was a little suprised by the sizzle of the litter as you put water on it. Initially I thought that I had let loose the second leg of the bomb and I was going to die. The sizzle stopped fortunately without further damage. It has me wondering though..... who was the first person to figure this out?! I can't say that I would be the guy who one day says to himself... "hey, I wonder what would happen if I put litter in my humi?". Perhaps some poor ***, in a pinch, had to use his humi for a litter box. The lid closes accidentally and he finds perfect humidification....

Anyway, I am certainly now a believer.... sorry for ever not trusting you all!!!
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    I was wondering what brand of KL you guys are using?
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    Me too, mine doesn't sizzle as much as the beads but works perfect. I can only find the Walmart junk called Mimi litter, but it works fine. Only downside is super small pieces. What brands is that drew, with nice big chunks? And Jim, the first few who realized it could be used realized it because shopping they noticed this litter if you read the ingredients, is 100% silica sand or whatever, the exact same as expensive beads. So it wasn't as pure luck or dumb chance, its just chemically the exact same stuff as beads and somebody realizedthis and tested it out. Boo for heartfelt but great for or wallets. Also remember if you are in an are constantly high in humidity, your litter eventually fills to max capacity with moisture content, so you will need a way to dry it (think Dustin mentioned microwaving or baking) our just throw it out and replace.
    I use the Mimi litter as well, it's all I saw at walmart. But any unscented litter that is 100 % silica will work. It does not matter if it has blue chunks or not. As blurr stated, the bigger the "grains" in the KL the better. Otherwise you will get lots of dust if it is too fine. Dont inhale the dust.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    the more i read about this the more i think about trying it..
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Glad it's working out for you Jim.

The brand is exquisicat. Same stuff Dustin uses.
    Twisted and chunks are in luck, I happen to have extra. Pm from both of you please.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    AVJim:
    So..... I replaced the planters foam in two of my humidifiers with kitty litter (was going to replace them with Paradigms anyway - so no loss if the litter didn't work). The RH is each had a tendancy to go a little high in each from time to time, I contributed this to the crappy foam humidifiers and to counter this, had to put in dry cedar blocks to suck up the extra RH. This works but it is a pain in the butt. So, I take out the foam and the blocks..... each are holding steady at 68%.... WTF!!! You guys are not nuts! I was a little suprised by the sizzle of the litter as you put water on it. Initially I thought that I had let loose the second leg of the bomb and I was going to die. The sizzle stopped fortunately without further damage. It has me wondering though..... who was the first person to figure this out?! I can't say that I would be the guy who one day says to himself... "hey, I wonder what would happen if I put litter in my humi?". Perhaps some poor ***, in a pinch, had to use his humi for a litter box. The lid closes accidentally and he finds perfect humidification....

Anyway, I am certainly now a believer.... sorry for ever not trusting you all!!!

The point being, !00% silica kitty litter is the same ingredient as 100% silica 'cigar humidification beads'. The arguments against silica kitty litter didn't make any sense. This was not the prevailing opinion here just a few years ago. What I like is that many here were willing to test it and use their own experience as a guide instead of listening to the opinions of people who obviously hadn't tried it.

You've been doing this for a few days and you are happy? Imagine how you will be feeling a month from now when your Rh is still rock solid! The best part is we norderners go from 10% humidity in the winter to 90+ humidity in the summer and as long as we don't mess it up ourselves and add too much water to the silica, it will work both ways.
    It's so cheap, I dont know why everyone (who wants to use beads) doesnt at least give it a try. $5 will get you 4-5 pounds of the stuff. A pound of beads is $30... it's honestly crazy that they are charging so much for the exact same thing.
    blurr:
    Me too, mine doesn't sizzle as much as the beads but works perfect. I can only find the Walmart junk called Mimi litter, but it works fine. Only downside is super small pieces. What brands is that drew, with nice big chunks? And Jim, the first few who realized it could be used realized it because shopping they noticed this litter if you read the ingredients, is 100% silica sand or whatever, the exact same as expensive beads. So it wasn't as pure luck or dumb chance, its just chemically the exact same stuff as beads and somebody realizedthis and tested it out. Boo for heartfelt but great for or wallets. Also remember if you are in an are constantly high in humidity, your litter eventually fills to max capacity with moisture content, so you will need a way to dry it (think Dustin mentioned microwaving or baking) our just throw it out and replace.

someone reads the ingredients in kitty litter?
    I was very reluctant. It works REALLY WELL!!!
    Roberto99:
    AVJim:

The point being, !00% silica kitty litter is the same ingredient as 100% silica 'cigar humidification beads'. The arguments against silica kitty litter didn't make any sense. This was not the prevailing opinion here just a few years ago. What I like is that many here were willing to test it and use their own experience as a guide instead of listening to the opinions of people who obviously hadn't tried it.

You've been doing this for a few days and you are happy? Imagine how you will be feeling a month from now when your Rh is still rock solid! The best part is we norderners go from 10% humidity in the winter to 90+ humidity in the summer and as long as we don't mess it up ourselves and add too much water to the silica, it will work both ways.

Amen brother.... Amen!!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I'm really psyched to give it a try. I got to leave for a week when I get home. And with the gel it can really jump on you if your not on top of it. Drives my wife nuts every time I ask her to check them and try telling her what to do to fix it. Usually when I go out of town in the summer I just take out the gel and hope it doesn't get to low.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Rhamlin:
    I'm really psyched to give it a try. I got to leave for a week when I get home. And with the gel it can really jump on you if your not on top of it. Drives my wife nuts every time I ask her to check them and try telling her what to do to fix it. Usually when I go out of town in the summer I just take out the gel and hope it doesn't get to low.
    I think you really will like it Ricky. There is a little bit of a learning curve as to how you want to add a little water into to the system etc. But once you get down what works for you in your area, you could leave your humidor for a month at a time without any concerns. If you have a coolidor that doesn't leak any moisture, you could probably leave it for several months at a time (not that anyone here would want to do that!)
  • NeleneaNelenea Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    A while back I bought a 5lb thing of the kitty litter. Took out the foam in my humidifiers, put the KL in. Worked well for a few days, well I thought it did, until I opened my box up and KL was all over the smokes. They were the magnetic kind and the humidifier had opened up.

Anyway, thinking of making a coolidor and using the KL now. Going to put it in the old CCI 100ct 22LR boxes I seem to collect.

My question is how do you know how much you need vs the size and how do you know you have added enough water to the KL?
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    drew hit me up with some of this looking forward to testing it out.not sure how im supposed to smoke it tho?? photo IMG_0126_zps7c48c719.jpg
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Nelenea:
    A while back I bought a 5lb thing of the kitty litter. Took out the foam in my humidifiers, put the KL in. Worked well for a few days, well I thought it did, until I opened my box up and KL was all over the smokes. They were the magnetic kind and the humidifier had opened up. Anyway, thinking of making a coolidor and using the KL now. Going to put it in the old CCI 100ct 22LR boxes I seem to collect. My question is how do you know how much you need vs the size and how do you know you have added enough water to the KL?
    Hey bro, there's an entire thread devoted to this in cigar 101. Check it out and ask Dustin if you have any questions. He's the authority on it here! Hope that helps bc I sure as heck don't know the answer@ LOL