Home Cigar 101

Tight Draws

RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
I hate having a tight draw, but I also hate waiting for it to open up. When I'm trying to see if the draw will open at all, I'm puffing too hard to get a little smoke, and then I'm making the cigar too hot. It's a vicious cycle.Is it possible to look at the foot of a stick and tell that it's rolled to tight? I looked at the head and it seemed that why, but that might just be placebo. I'm sure there are gars out there that look tight but end up having a lose draw.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Precisely why I have a draw tool. Not sure why it took me so long to buy one.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I think the foot would be the wrong end to examine for a tight draw. Even if it was the foot that was too tight, as soon as you burn past it, it'd open up. Sometimes you can tell by squeezing the whole cigar between your fingers. If it is super firm, it may be rolled too tight. Also, rolling bwtween fingers and listening for a slight pop or crackle can tell you if it's too moist. This can loosen up a tight draw as well, sometimes.

I need a good draw tool. Nothing pisses me off more that a cigar ruined by a tight draw. Sometimes you can smoke past a construction issues, but more times it seems like, the whole cigar is just rolled too tight. Im angry thinking about it!
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Gray4lines:
    I think the foot would be the wrong end to examine for a tight draw. Even if it was the foot that was too tight, as soon as you burn past it, it'd open up. Sometimes you can tell by squeezing the whole cigar between your fingers. If it is super firm, it may be rolled too tight. Also, rolling bwtween fingers and listening for a slight pop or crackle can tell you if it's too moist. This can loosen up a tight draw as well, sometimes.

I need a good draw tool. Nothing pisses me off more that a cigar ruined by a tight draw. Sometimes you can smoke past a construction issues, but more times it seems like, the whole cigar is just rolled too tight. Im angry thinking about it!
    Oh Em Gee. I meant the head!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Gray4lines:

oh really? You haven't moved recently have you?
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:

Uh oh...THE SHERIFF is on patrol.
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    Rain:
    I hate having a tight draw, but I also hate waiting for it to open up. When I'm trying to see if the draw will open at all, I'm puffing too hard to get a little smoke, and then I'm making the cigar too hot. It's a vicious cycle.Is it possible to look at the foot of a stick and tell that it's rolled to tight? I looked at the head and it seemed that why, but that might just be placebo. I'm sure there are gars out there that look tight but end up having a lose draw.

Dude, I hope that wasn't the Cab I sent..... sounds like it wrecked your day! Kuzi once said, cigar smoking should make you relax.... it doesn't sound like you had that to say the least! I hope you dropped it and lit up another that was PERFECT!
    AVJim:
    Rain:

Dude, I hope that wasn't the Cab I sent..... sounds like it wrecked your day! Kuzi once said, cigar smoking should make you relax.... it doesn't sound like you had that to say the least! I hope you dropped it and lit up another that was PERFECT!
    You had not a hand in this, good sir.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Let me see if I can remember this correctly. One of the main causes of tight draws, aside from over humidifying, is an improperly bunched cigar. Someone explained it on here once, Alex or Kuzi, I forget.

Sometimes when a cigar is bunched, and if the buncher doesn't hold it correctly, or miss-aligns the tobacco, the cigar will end up having a tight draw once it's finished. Usually you can tell a stick that is like this by pinching near the head, or around the band area. If it's rock hard, and rest of the stick isn't, that's an indication that that stick may end up having a really tight draw. It isn't 100%, as I've had sticks that were hard around the band, and still smoked fine, but over the years it does seem to bear out. It's usually a very good indicator. YMMV.
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    Rain:
    AVJim:
    Rain:

You had not a hand in this, good sir.

I am really glad to hear that! I was just about ready to hop a plane to bring you a few sticks that would make you happy again!!!!
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    catfishbluezz:
    Precisely why I have a draw tool. Not sure why it took me so long to buy one.
    I need one of those too. I can't find one on ccom so where can I get one?
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    Totally thought this post was about tight granny panties... Please continue
    smoke em if you got em:
    I just threw up a litt----a lot.
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    Rain:
    smoke em if you got em:
    I just threw up a litt----a lot.
    my bad
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:

Not yet, bro!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I usually use a big paper clip straightened out. That usually does the trick if that don't work I got a top piece of a portable radio antenna that's sharpened on the end. This always gets the job done.
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Go to a Walmart in BBQ grill accessories. There is a $1.50 wire grill remover for gas grill tops. Strong SS and perfect circumference, about quarter of a clothes hanger in diameter but just as strong. Works like a charm because you have the wound spring like end to hold.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    So if you decide to us a draw tool ( or a walmart grill remover ) on a badly drawing cigar, do you let it go out first or do you fix it while lit? And how deep do you go into the head of the cigar? (I'm assuming you go in through the head.) Just passed the tight spot or all the way? (Maybe dumb questions but,.....)
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Bob Luken:
    So if you decide to us a draw tool ( or a walmart grill remover ) on a badly drawing cigar, do you let it go out first or do you fix it while lit? And how deep do you go into the head of the cigar? (I'm assuming you go in through the head.) Just passed the tight spot or all the way? (Maybe dumb questions but,.....)
    Poke the thing before you light. Prelight draw is the best time to test for tightness. All the way through is the preferred method I think.

There are no dumb questions.
    Bob Luken:
    Bob, whose lips are those?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Rain:
    Bob Luken:
    Bob, whose lips are those?
    I saw this poster for Avalon cigars in my B&M. I thought it was a really cool photo. Then I googled Avalon cigars and this pic was available on their website as wallpaper. (avaloncigars.com) I don't know exactly who's lips they are. He might be a famous blues musician. Avalon was Mississippi based and I think they signed up some blues musicians in their promotional efforts. My B&M manager said Avalon was out of business now. But I haven't read or heard anyone else confirm this as fact.

I like this one too :)
    http://avaloncigars.com/images/wallpapers/full_bodied.jpg
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    ddubridge:
    Bob Luken:
    Poke the thing before you light. Prelight draw is the best time to test for tightness. All the way through is the preferred method I think.

There are no dumb questions.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I have 3 draw tools and each is a size for Robustos up to Churchills....they work great and I haven't had to deal with a bad cigar for the last 10 years. If you clip your cigar do a dry draw on it to see how open it is...sometimes you can massage it with your fingers to open up and other times you have to use something that will open it up...draw tool is your weapon of choice.