Home Cigar 101

Temporary storage...

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
How long is it safe (flavor and freshness wise) to keep cigars in a ziplock bag with a water pillow or humi pack?

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Iv kept some in one for about a month till i made some room in my humi. If the bag has a good seal, its ok for a little while. IMO.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    LiquidChaos66:
    How long is it safe (flavor and freshness wise) to keep cigars in a ziplock bag with a water pillow or humi pack?
    IMHO Beware of long term exposure with water pillows. They over humidify your sticks. I tested them myself. However, Boveda packets are the way to go. You could keep sticks with a boveda for a long time. Might not enhance the flavor but it won't hurt either.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/669074.aspx
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Good to know! It may only be a week or two but wanted to make sure it's all good! :) thanks guys!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    That's what I always use when I go back to work. Never had any problems yet. Except with Gurkhas.
    Why just Gurkhas? Lol not like they have poor construction or anything. ;)
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    Just wanted to add that some cigar nuts like to put their cigars into long term storage by sealing them in vac lock bags after properly humidifying them in their humidor they don't even put in a boveda pack.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    A cheap friend of mine has used those gallon sized freezer bags with a digital hygro and kept his cigars in it with one pillow..works like a charm and he's never bought a humidor or tupperware and keeps the bags in his cedar chest.
    Cigary:
    A cheap friend of mine has used those gallon sized freezer bags with a digital hygro and kept his cigars in it with one pillow..works like a charm and he's never bought a humidor or tupperware and keeps the bags in his cedar chest.

LMAO! thats good to know! lol Im not doing it to be cheap though. Im doing it cause i have a friend who i want to gift my small humi to. He just started getting into cigars and i wanna give him a home for his smokes! lol so i have some backup while im waiting to whittle down my inventory. lol
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
    I am of firm belief that you can keep cigars in just about anything for as long as you like as long it has a tight seal and is free from any chemicals or odors.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    crzydimnd68:
    I am of firm belief that you can keep cigars in just about anything for as long as you like as long it has a tight seal and is free from any chemicals or odors.
    + 1 I have even used an extra 2 cu.ft safe as temperory overflow storage.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    LiquidChaos66:
    Cigary:

LMAO! thats good to know! lol Im not doing it to be cheap though. Im doing it cause i have a friend who i want to gift my small humi to. He just started getting into cigars and i wanna give him a home for his smokes! lol so i have some backup while im waiting to whittle down my inventory. lol
    Whittle DOWN your inventory?!!! Oh, that sounds so SAD :( Unles you're whittling them down by SMOKING and BOMBING them :) That part's fun.
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Cigary:

Whittle DOWN your inventory?!!! Oh, that sounds so SAD :( Unles you're whittling them down by SMOKING and BOMBING them :) That part's fun.

if I could find some darn boxes I plan on bombin a few people! But I went to 3 post offices and they were all out of the small boxes. Lol