Home Cigar 101

kitty litter or HFB?

2»

Comments

• CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Bob Luken:
    I can assume HF beads and KL are different. But what I want to know is, if they are different, WHY they are different? What factual fundamental physical difference is there?
    Beads are engineered to be 2 way...example....if you purchase 65% beads you can expect them to take in and give off what they engineered to run at...65%.....on the other hand KL is not engineered for any number...at all. The number achieved is through trial and this is why you introduce KL dry...and usually it will be around 60%....if you want a 65% RH then you start spraying distilled water over the KL and the formula is usually with 3 spritzes and then you wait about 6 hours. If it rises 3 percent then your formula is 3 sprays = 3 percent ( or how many sprays you use ) and then you can pretty much dial in your exact RH that you want. I have some humidors that can go months w/o ever having to spray anything and that depends on several factors: outside temps and how large the humidor. I don't know the exact factual data and probably don't really care...all I know is that they both work but in a different way and I choose KL because it's idiot proof and cheaper...both of which I fully believe in. lol
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    LOL Yeah, I like things idiot proof too when I can get it. KL just works. I know it does, you know it does. Lots of people know how to use it but if people keep saying HF beads are different I'd like to know how they are different. I'm still thinking that after you get the KL trained, they perform exactly the same, so if the only difference is that the HF beads are pre-trained then that's pretty simple. And that would be only a guess. A basic explanation of any physical differences is missing from the usual conversations.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Bob Luken:
    LOL Yeah, I like things idiot proof too when I can get it. KL just works. I know it does, you know it does. Lots of people know how to use it but if people keep saying HF beads are different I'd like to know how they are different. I'm still thinking that after you get the KL trained, they perform exactly the same, so if the only difference is that the HF beads are pre-trained then that's pretty simple. And that would be only a guess. A basic explanation of any physical differences is missing from the usual conversations.
    Physical differences...Beads are nice and round while KL is jagged and looks like crystals...hence the term KL Crystals with those blue crystals which don't impede what KL does. Beads are trained to do what they do...KL is something we train but it's so easy my Labrador can do it...plus KL is cheap and I'm still on my original jug of 8 pounds that I bought 4 years ago and it's still half full. I swear....if enough people really do catch on they will raise the pricing just because they know cigar enthusiasts are using it to keep their cigars properly humidified..that alone will raise the pricing by 25% but still way under beads.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    I, Jiunn Liu, use KL. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    jliu:
    Hows that working in the big cab?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    jliu:
    Jiunn, you are aware this isn't a bathroom thread, right?
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:
    Hows that working in the big cab?
    Great. Since winter hit I use some active humidification. Dialed in at 62rh. Just the way I like
    SleevePlz:
    jliu:
    Ever since using moist wipes, my butt cheek hairs no longer gets caught on the toilet paper. Winningggg!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    jliu:
    SleevePlz:
    jliu:
    Ever since using moist wipes, my butt cheek hairs no longer gets caught on the toilet paper. Winningggg!

wow.... bad bad bad visual.

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    jliu:
    SleevePlz:
    jliu:

wow.... bad bad bad visual.

Aj
    Hi, my name is Jiunn. A/S/L?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    jliu:

Available
    Sexy
    Loose

Hola Big-boy ;)

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    jliu:

Available
    Sexy
    Loose

Hola Big-boy ;)

Aj
    whoa! aye papi
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Bob Luken:
    I can assume HF beads and KL are different. But what I want to know is, if they are different, WHY they are different? What factual fundamental physical difference is there?
    They're both a type of plastic bead (probably polyethylene) with an additive for moisture control (a silicon dioxide compound) ...
    So the main difference is "advertising" --- with HF beads you know what RH you're getting but with KL you don't.

Since HF advertises their beads for certain RH % levels --- I would assume they have designed a specific SiO2 compound for each RH level to guarantee the advertised RH. And they probably have stricter tolerances during the manufacturing process, since they have to hit an advertised target RH, when compared to KL beads.

KL is also designed to maintain RH, since absorbing moisture reduces the cat odor, but they may not have a specific target RH but a certain range. Also, the KL beads probably have a different SiO2 compound than the HF beads .... and the KL may have other additives as well.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    jliu:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    jliu:

Available
    Sexy
    Loose

Hola Big-boy ;)

Aj
    whoa! aye papi
    #crying