Home Pipes

Where is the best place to purchase a decent poker

BamablowsBamablows Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
I have recently been looking into adding to my pipe collection and I want a stubby poker that holds a decent amount in the bowl. Anybody got any suggestions/good experiences with pokers? My price range is going to have to stay under $100.00

Comments

• pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    Pipesandcigars.com has some pokers under 100.00 if their not sold out.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    You might try ebay. Good pipes can be found if you are willing to shop a little.
  • BamablowsBamablows Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    Currently bidding on a couple right now. Some of these pipes are so beutiful!
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    Be careful of the really ornate ones from China and Ukraine.
    this one in particular is usa made.
    Thank you guys for all of your help! I won this last night off eBay.

• slamb@cigar.comslamb@cigar.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    Holy Hell, now that's a poker! Nice find!
    Very nice find indeed.
    I fell in love with it when I first layer eyes on it. Now I need some good recommendations on tobacco to burn down in it when I get it!!!!
    I don't like aromatics that much btw ^^^^
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I'm liking the C&D Pirate Kake, and it looks like that pipes personality would be a good fit.
    Is it a new or used pipe? Sometimes, an estate pipe will have a lingering ghost. If that is the case either a strong lat. blend like Amos suggested or following the genre of the previous smoker works best. I don't like aros either. I do like Pirate Kake, a good heavy lat. blend but I also like Gawith and Hoggarth's Kendal KY, which is a straight dark fired burley (I love burley and VA/Bur blends). It too is also a strong blend, good nic. hit too. What do you like right now? I have only been smoking a pipe for a little more than 3 years now but I have tried quite a few blends. Let me know and I should be able to at least tell you what I like that is similar.
  • slamb@cigar.comslamb@cigar.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    If you breaking in a new pipe I always like to use Frogmorton On the Town, but the Original works really great as well. You can't go wrong with a nice Greg Pease blend too, something like Abington or Westminster. I also like McClellands Blue Mountain for a nice Lat bomb.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 429
    That looks like the kind of pipe to smoke "Walt's Gloucester" in. Hopefully soon it will be made available to forum members.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    pilgrimtex:
    That looks like the kind of pipe to smoke "Walt's Gloucester" in. Hopefully soon it will be made available to forum members.
    I think I'd like that! Sounds like a plan.
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I am going to break it in with Frog Morton "on the bayou" .
    Bamablows:
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I am going to break it in with Frog Morton "on the bayou" .
    You might consider the fact that it has perique in it. It is only a small amount but it is noticeable. Perique will ghost so unless you are planning on using the pipe for Lat./perique blends only that might play a small factor in your decision. Just a thought. Honestly, A few bowls here or there would not hurt most likely.
    J.S.:
    Bamablows:
    You might consider the fact that it has perique in it. It is only a small amount but it is noticeable. Perique will ghost so unless you are planning on using the pipe for Lat./perique blends only that might play a small factor in your decision. Just a thought. Honestly, A few bowls here or there would not hurt most likely.

I am still quite new to the pipe game, if that's what you want to call it so I was un aware about the perique. But I love Frog on the bayou and I can for sure taste something different in it from some of the other tobaccos I have packed. I guess its sort of a trial and error thing for me now until I can find something that fits perfectly.