Home Non Cigar Related

nice article on obamacare

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349

Comments

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Nice and long. And by the way, the URL you gave didn't lead me to the article directly. It took me to a progressive website called truthdig.com but I did find a link to the article form there to another progressive website, truthout.org, that had the article. (Websites that have the word truth in the title just makes me more skeptical of them. Kinda' like how I don't trust the guy that keeps saying "You can trust me.") And it's not an article. It's an editorial.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Haven't read it yet, but, on topic, a friend of mine told me he'd seen "the affordable care act is affordable in the same way the Patriot act is patriotic"

I got a kick out of it.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I've said it before and 'Ill say it again.

I wish I had Obamacare when I was between jobs and had to pay over $1,000 a month in COBRA payments for my ex-employer's crappy health plan and came damn near close to having it run out and have to pay close to $2,000 a month.

I'm glad parts of Obamacare got enacted before my son went off to college so he can be included in my wife's health plan (which covers all of us) rather than have to fork over another $2,000 per year a crappy health plan for him alone (and, in two years, another 2 grand for one for my other son).

I thank Obamacare for forbidding my wife's health plan from denying her coverage plan because she had cancer once.

Obamacare has been truly affordable for me, and for the millions of people who have tried to sign up for plans using the government's horrendously and incompetently and stupidly executed web site, healthcare will be far more affordable than the option of having to pay thousands to health care company or out of their own pocket.

There are plenty of things that aren't right about Obamacare (from my POV, it doesn't solve malpractice suits and doesn't do enough to curb spiralling costs due to charges by for-profit hospitals and MRIs in a box, but when I think of what the alternative might have been for me (and what it could be anyday, should we both get cast of out work again) I for one and glad that it's there. But, as always, your mileage will vary.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I'm not too exited about having to carry maternity coverage.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    this whole thing could have been achieved if there was a extension to Medicare to slowly integrate all ages. but like the article points out, insurance companies wouldn't be okay with that. I hope these kinks get fixed sooner than later but given the complexity and amount of hands on this it'll be a while.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    phobicsquirrel:
    but given the complexity and amount of hands on this it'll be a while.
    Lots of corrupt hands.
    phobicsquirrel:
    this whole thing could have been achieved if there was a extension to Medicare to slowly integrate all ages. but like the article points out, insurance companies wouldn't be okay with that. I hope these kinks get fixed sooner than later but given the complexity and amount of hands on this it'll be a while.
    The common sense approach you're suggesting would have probably been the best solution for everyone except the already overly opulent insurance industry. I wondered, when he said it, if Rush Limbaugh would be proved right, that the whole bill is nothing but a big pork package for the insurance industry. Looks like Rush hit the nail on the head.

Can't overlook though, Raisindots points. There have been and will be, for some, benefits that would otherwise not exist.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    raisindot:
    I've said it before and 'Ill say it again.

I wish I had Obamacare when I was between jobs and had to pay over $1,000 a month in COBRA payments for my ex-employer's crappy health plan and came damn near close to having it run out and have to pay close to $2,000 a month.

I'm glad parts of Obamacare got enacted before my son went off to college so he can be included in my wife's health plan (which covers all of us) rather than have to fork over another $2,000 per year a crappy health plan for him alone (and, in two years, another 2 grand for one for my other son).

I thank Obamacare for forbidding my wife's health plan from denying her coverage plan because she had cancer once.

Obamacare has been truly affordable for me, and for the millions of people who have tried to sign up for plans using the government's horrendously and incompetently and stupidly executed web site, healthcare will be far more affordable than the option of having to pay thousands to health care company or out of their own pocket.

There are plenty of things that aren't right about Obamacare (from my POV, it doesn't solve malpractice suits and doesn't do enough to curb spiralling costs due to charges by for-profit hospitals and MRIs in a box, but when I think of what the alternative might have been for me (and what it could be anyday, should we both get cast of out work again) I for one and glad that it's there. But, as always, your mileage will vary.
    Get real. Just because it suits your narrow circumstance doesn't make this egregious pork affordable for a stone broke nation. And the worst is yet to come.

Jeepers. Arithmetic, please.

Here's an interesting development, I just got off the phone with my son, and he's now being billed by the VA for continuing care for the wounds he received in Afghanistan. VA tells him "It's Obamacare". Can this be real??????????? He's got the bills coming in the mail, so, it seems so.

Don't forget, supporting the troops is all about yellow ribbons, that's what really helps.
    WHAT!! UR Kidn Me!
    webmost:
    WHAT!! UR Kidn Me!
    I'm hoping it's some kind of error, doesn't make any sense at all to me.
    So what happened w/ your son the wounded warrior, Amos? How'd that turn out?
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    phobicsquirrel:
    Except for one problem. It would never happen that way. Here in Florida, our legislature voted down the expansion of Medicare even with the Federal Government footing the bill. Perhaps that will be the end product of this clusterf****k but in our political climate you just can't get any common sense solutions from each side. They have to come away looking like victorious champions of their ideals, not productive compromisers. You know I'm a dem, but I'll probably have a good look at Cristy in 2016. I think he's good for the GOP.
    Bump for Amos. Did you get any clarification on your son's VA prob yet?

Today I read some odd stats. Dull-Aware spent three million setting up a health exchange web site. According to the insurance companies, four people have signed up as of Saturday. DC spent 133 million. According to the various insurance companies, five have signed up. These numbers are so lopsided you have to be skeptical.

Course, our favorite fascist, quondam trumpeter of transparency, won't give numbers. We can only read between the lines.

Meanwhile, 20 million have lost their insurance. That's a big number to push before you even start making headway.

Some kinks.

No, he's been busy working on something else, asked his girlfriend to marry him, gave her a '65 convertible Mustang for an engagement gift. "everyone gives jewelry".

I'm thinking it's got to be some kind of paperwork roundabout, "send these to him, he'll send it all to them, and they'll return it full circle". I just can't imagine. He's medically retired from service, so, VA should cover everything, I thought. But, it's been a long time since I was in. I'm curious, too.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Some states have yet to sign up a single person. The best numbers I have seen say 4.8 million have been cancelled and maybe 50k signed up many at higher rates. This is all going to crash back on "If you like your plan, You can keep your plan"! Even Bill Clinton is calling for changes to the law already.

It has become the nightmare many predicted in record time. The incompetence in building the website is just beyond my understanding. I am no fan of insurance companies but I have a decent employer sponsored plan and I would like to keep it. Who freaking knows what will happen to it now. It is no sweetheart plan like congress has but it is decent. Now I hear HR folks saying they are evaluating whether it will be deemed a "Cadillac" plan and retirees had to be dropped from the group plan and put into the exchanges.

WTF is wrong with this guy that he had to send his cronies to screw up what did work for some just to add those who had no insurance. Good God I could have scratched out something better on a freakin napkin at lunch. I have never witnessed governmental incompetence on such a grand scale in my 56 years and some wonder why so many people are just fed up with this administration. I won't even go into the endless scandals and spying and wasted money etc. I declare that Jimmy Carter is no longer the worst president of my lifetime, he has been surpassed.
    fla-gypsy:
    WTF is wrong with this guy that he had to send his cronies to screw up what did work for some just to add those who had no insurance. Good God I could have scratched out something better on a freakin napkin at lunch. I have never witnessed governmental incompetence on such a grand scale in my 56 years and some wonder why so many people are just fed up with this administration. I won't even go into the endless scandals and spying and wasted money etc.
    I am beginning to suspect that a brief stint riling up a Chicago ghetto in order to trade votes for special favors from the Daley machine may not be sufficient administrative experience to run the biggest show on earth. Who da thunk it?

... and that's the best that you can say about him.

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Let us for a moment say its is a good plan. LMAO.
    There is so much chance for corruption built in and no one is addressing it.
    Doctors will be expected to ask you about your gun ownership.
    All information will be an open book to the IRS.
    My carrier has already been told they are no longer an option. We were very happy with them.
    Accordingly my co-pay went up from 100% to 1000%, depending on the type of visit.
    My scripts went up 150%.

Remember when slick willy was president and Benghazi Billary thought she held a cabinet position? Is this health "plan" really hers?
    I will stop now. Trying to avoid any discussion about the current failing administration because I truly believe obozo is the worst thing that ever happened to this country. Never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people.