Home Cigar 101

Bands with too much glue.........

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
How do you remove a stubborn band . If it's my first time to try one I like to save the band, but what's a good way to remove i when it's impossiblly glued and it's obviously gonna tear? Just smoked a 'core" and I destroyed the band because there was too much glue. :( What do I do next time? I've heard some of you guys mention using a razor blade. Any advice?

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Smoke it down close
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    If you want to save it, then I would recommend using an x-acto knife. You can be precise enough with it to not damage the wrapper leaf. I don't like waiting until the cigar burns down, however. Dealing with a longer stick is easier and safer when removing the band.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Smoke it for a little bit though, it loosens the glue somewhat. The knife is the way to go, just be careful not to cut the wrapper leaf.

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Touch of soft flame.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Don't be a band geek. Rip it off.

I love this box of Nestor Reserve 2000 I grabbed off the knock down shelf. Sharp edged rectangular box pressed robustos with delicate wrappers and tight tight glue. I defy you to remove a band intact. Burnt one just last night. Rip 'em bands, I say.

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    macs-smokes:
    Touch of soft flame.
    Ha! Funny you should mention that. I tried that trick on the "Core" but before I did I had first tried to peel the band to see if it would come off. So,......The leading edge of the band was raised a little bit,..............(Can you guess what happened yet?)........ I lit the band on fire. Told ya' I destroyed it. LOL
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Its kinda hard to do with a box pressed, but if you roll the band in your fingers it helps to seperate the two overlaping sections. I move to the razor blade after that.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    ddubridge:
    Its kinda hard to do with a box pressed, but if you roll the band in your fingers it helps to seperate the two overlaping sections. I move to the razor blade after that.
    this is what i do....smoke it right up to it and roll it and normally it will come, but i agree there are some that won't come off like the Core. I think it has to do with paper construction of the band also.....the core band is on what seems to be basic paper rather than a thicker, more glossy paper.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    brianetz1:
    ddubridge:
    this is what i do....smoke it right up to it and roll it and normally it will come, but i agree there are some that won't come off like the Core. I think it has to do with paper construction of the band also.....the core band is on what seems to be basic paper rather than a thicker, more glossy paper.
    That's right. The Core band seemed like paper bag paper. Probably soaks up the glue and holds it tight.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Yeah, this is one band I didn't really want to save, it was so ugly.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    i try to save as many as i can,for obviuos reasons.most of the time just smoking them down to the band works.if its tricky i hold it up against a hot cup of coffee for awhile.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    ya know… so many cigars have gigantic bands, foot wrappers etc. that it really bugs me when they glue them to the cigar… it just seems really lazy for a product that is advertised as "premium". Whenever I tear a wrapper because the band has been glued to the cigar a little part me dies…. :(