Home Cigar 101

how high to stack cigars in your humi?

shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
soo I think I have either a 40 - 50 count humidor ... can i stack it till just before the glass or should i stop sooner? I have about 30 in there right now and if I go up another level on one of the sides i will be over the top of my divider that I have inside. is this okay to do or should i not do it?

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    The more sticks you have in your humidor, the better it will hold humidity. That being said, I never fill mine completely, at most I would say 90% is my personal preference. I think if you have it too full that would inhibit air circulation. What are you using for humidification? You don't want cigars piled on top of your humidifier, so there should be at least a gap there.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have had my humidor at 100%... as in i went to put a cigar in and couldnt.

i HAD to smoke something.

i keep my humi at about 80% right now. mostly because im smoking all the time in the summer.

if this thread was started in April (just before smoking season) my humidor would be at about 95-100% full.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    I am just using one of the xikar crystals. it has been maintaining it at about 68% - 70% humidity but i still have a crappy analog hygrometer so who knows ... maybe I'll take a picture so you can see what it looks like. i have to center the cigars up top so the sides of the lid that stick down into the humi don't hit the edges of the cigars.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    less typing, more smoking!
    actually .... less work, more smoking would be key
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    shamrocked:
    I am just using one of the xikar crystals. it has been maintaining it at about 68% - 70% humidity but i still have a crappy analog hygrometer so who knows ... maybe I'll take a picture so you can see what it looks like. i have to center the cigars up top so the sides of the lid that stick down into the humi don't hit the edges of the cigars.

Careful of trusting your analog hygrometer, I was trusting mine and hadn't done the "salt test" in a few months. Bad mistake - had my cigars at 40-50% humidity for months. The digital one I have now is great, though I still compulsively test it every month just in case.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    TatuajeVI:
    shamrocked:

Careful of trusting your analog hygrometer, I was trusting mine and hadn't done the "salt test" in a few months. Bad mistake - had my cigars at 40-50% humidity for months. The digital one I have now is great, though I still compulsively test it every month just in case.
    this is a great point.

on the flip side...
    the xikar crystals are a good humidity source. im not 100% but i think that they are a two way system much like the Heartfelt beads are. if that is the case it may ease some of the worry.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I have over 120 cigars in my humi and when I recharged my beads, humidity shot up to around 80%, I took the beads out and the humidity dropped down to 70-71%. It's been like that for about 2-3 days now, lol.
    humidification is annoying - however, i salt tested the analog about a month and a half ago and just re-charged the crystals so i think i am okay - none of my cigars feel dried out or anything - i just didn't know if there was a rhyme or reason to how high you can stack - because if i can take it all the way up to like a 1/4" of hitting the glass top i'll do it. i think i might go buy a digital hygro today just because i do need one.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I think as long as you can get the lid closed, it's not too full.
    alright that is what i'll aim for then .. thanks
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I bought a couple new sticks today only to realize they would not fit in my humidor, thats how full it is. I was forced to smoke a don pepin blue label just to make room, poor me right?
    how does don pepin feel about this?
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Idk but it sure was a tasty smoke
    haha right on - i have still yet yo try any of the don pepin's
  • These Filthy HandsThese Filthy Hands Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 455
    I usually try to keep mine stocked at around 80%. Right now, it's about about 50% since I came to the point where I have no extra money to buy smokes. But, I'm ok with that. I have some good stuff going on a year now and am looking forward to smoking them.