Home Non Cigar Related

How stupid are we if...?

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    macs-smokes:
    I had the opportunity to hear and question one of those Stanford think tank fellows. He actually was on a fellowship but I digress. I point blank asked him since the government is subsidizing corn based ethanol and similarly raising prices on food fuel etc. Why is there not a ethanol plant along the gulf coast the utilize the sugar cane byproduct?
    He was taken by surprise that someone might know of a different viable ethanol source that would not drive our economy downward. When you consider that it costs (insert correct percentage here) more fuel and clean water to produce 1 gallon of ethanol than 1 gallon of fuel (take your pick here fellows).
    Some dumb redneck had a Stanford think tanker sputtering like an engine running bad fuel in 3 questions.
    Great points about the incidental costs, food prices driven up etc. Also, that the intellectual elite don't expect the common man to have any sense, or knowledge, beyond who the winning quarterback is or whatever the heck it is that the Kardashians do for a living.
    Amos Umwhat:
    I saw a news story the other day about a city in California (where else?) that has passed a law that you may not smoke in your own home!!!

Really? In America? Once known as the land of the free / home of the brave?

How stupid are we as a nation if no one stands up for the rights of the individuals? How stupid are the voters in California if they keep electing these tyrants to local government positions?

pretty stupid.

As Einstein said
    The difference between genius and stupidity is, genius has limits.
    I thought this might get a comment or two, perhaps our opinions are a given here.
    Saw a news article the other day, we're planning to train Libyan forces. Hmmm......

A good friend of mine spent a couple years in Afghanistan, back in the '80s. Part of a Special Forces unit training Afghani's on how to conduct warfare against a superior power, the Russians.

Those guys he was training had a funny name for themselves,

Mujahadeen

How'd that turn out for us?

So, will we now repeat this in Libya? How stupid would that be?
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:
    I saw a news story the other day about a city in California (where else?) that has passed a law that you may not smoke in your own home!!!

How stupid are we as a nation if no one stands up for the rights of the individuals? How stupid are the voters in California if they keep electing these tyrants to local government positions?

pretty stupid.

As Einstein said
    I thought this might get a comment or two, perhaps our opinions are a given here.
    Sometimes you are simply too sick to post, this was one of those for me. Disgusted by this type of behavior. :(
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:

pretty stupid.

As Einstein said
    Not surprised ..... lots of CA cities have banned it in parks & have strict regulations for other "public" places.

Marin County May 23, 2012 --- smoking is banned in all condos and apartments, as well as all patios within residential units. Anyone caught smoking will face a $100 fine and will be sentenced to five community day services. A second offense warrants a $300 fine and ten community day services, and a third offense being $700 fine and fifteen community day services. Landlords may opt out of smoking restrictions by designating 20 percent of their units reserved for smoking and may permit e-cigarettes to be used inside apartments and condos. All other outdoor areas, including bar and restaurant patios, and private homes that are not of multi-unit residences and smoking in cars are exempt from the ban.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    jgibv:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:

pretty stupid.

As Einstein said
    Not surprised ..... lots of CA cities have banned it in parks & have strict regulations for other "public" places.

Marin County May 23, 2012 --- smoking is banned in all condos and apartments, as well as all patios within residential units. Anyone caught smoking will face a $100 fine and will be sentenced to five community day services. A second offense warrants a $300 fine and ten community day services, and a third offense being $700 fine and fifteen community day services. Landlords may opt out of smoking restrictions by designating 20 percent of their units reserved for smoking and may permit e-cigarettes to be used inside apartments and condos. All other outdoor areas, including bar and restaurant patios, and private homes that are not of multi-unit residences and smoking in cars are exempt from the ban.
    All I can say to that is, Orwell would be proud. He may have been 30 years late on his call, but we're almost there.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    0patience:
    jgibv:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:

pretty stupid.

As Einstein said

All I can say to that is, Orwell would be proud. He may have been 30 years late on his call, but we're almost there.
    Damn that is wayyyy to close to truth :(
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    What do we expect..?
    College students who don't know who Biden is.
    They can't find China on a map.
    Colleges don't teach, they indoctrinate.

I am so glad that I live in a state that teaches real history and where the library is one of the busiest places in the school. And for pity's sake, (what are they thinking), they still teach cursive.

I can have real conversations with our grand kids, and up north all I got was duh doh and what.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    jd50ae:
    What do we expect..?

I am so glad that I live in a state that teaches real history and where the library is one of the busiest places in the school. And for pity's sake, (what are they thinking), they still teach cursive.

I can have real conversations with our grand kids, and up north all I got was duh doh and what.

Yeah, Tennessee has a long history of teaching 'real history,' such as prohibiting the teaching of evolution, which led to the Scopes trial, and even today it has legislation that endorses the teaching of creationism in public schools.

Sorry. Only said it because of the "up north" comment. I have relatives in Tennessee, and it's a lovely state with wonderful people and great music and awesome ribs. But, philosophically, I don't think I could live there...and they wouldn't want me there, either. And there are certainly as many stupid kids up north as there are everywhere. But I blame social media for that. :)

(Apologies to Amos, a true Tennessee gentleman)
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:
    What do we expect..?

Yeah, Tennessee has a long history of teaching 'real history,' such as prohibiting the teaching of evolution, which led to the Scopes trial, and even today it has legislation that endorses the teaching of creationism in public schools.

Sorry. Only said it because of the "up north" comment. I have relatives in Tennessee, and it's a lovely state with wonderful people and great music and awesome ribs. But, philosophically, I don't think I could live there...and they wouldn't want me there, either. And there are certainly as many stupid kids up north as there are everywhere. But I blame social media for that. :)

And they teach about the Scopes trial and they teach about evolution. Things have changed. I spent some serious time studying religion(s) and I am left with nothing but questions. Religion(s) have some very dark history and prevail to this day. I don't worry about religion, just the quality of life and doing the best I can.
    I lived in the middle of the "capital beltway"(up north) for most of my life and moved to TN in 2005. I could not move fast enough. I do miss good restaurants and a few other things, it took forever to find a cigar store. I do not miss the congestion, the thugs, the noise and I can walk out my "unlocked" door in the middle of the night and see every star in the sky.
    And you are 100% correct about social media. It is nothing but a platform for cheap vicious gossip and the keyboard warriors seldom if ever have to back up what they say, or answer for the harm they cause.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    jd50ae:
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:
    What do we expect..?

And they teach about the Scopes trial and they teach about evolution. Things have changed. I spent some serious time studying religion(s) and I am left with nothing but questions. Religion(s) have some very dark history and prevail to this day. I don't worry about religion, just the quality of life and doing the best I can.
    I lived in the middle of the "capital beltway"(up north) for most of my life and moved to TN in 2005. I could not move fast enough. I do miss good restaurants and a few other things, it took forever to find a cigar store. I do not miss the congestion, the thugs, the noise and I can walk out my "unlocked" door in the middle of the night and see every star in the sky.
    And you are 100% correct about social media. It is nothing but a platform for cheap vicious gossip and the keyboard warriors seldom if ever have to back up what they say, or answer for the harm they cause.
    I've been to Tennessee, and I can tell you about Tennessee. NO, seriously, it seems to me that this state is one that has a very, very diverse population. Islands of new technology and learning, surrounded by, how should I say this, folks learned in old schooled ways. Raisin, you shouldn't be judging people by where they live. Ever been to Memphis? Cool city.
    beatnic:
    jd50ae:
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:
    What do we expect..?

I've been to Tennessee, and I can tell you about Tennessee. NO, seriously, it seems to me that this state is one that has a very, very diverse population. Islands of new technology and learning, surrounded by, how should I say this, folks learned in old schooled ways. Raisin, you shouldn't be judging people by where they live. Ever been to Memphis? Cool city.
    You're quite right. Tennessee is, and has always been, quite diverse. The full spectrum, if you will. From the most basic, plainest, down-home folks, to the reddest of rednecks, to the most sophisticated of gentlemen, one never knows what, or who, you'll bump into next. It's really something. I've been many places, but there's no place like home. (clicks his ruby cowboy boots and thanks God he's not still stationed in Ft. Riley KS) Actually, Kansas is also quite diverse, just not Ft. Riley.
    Amos Umwhat:
    beatnic:
    jd50ae:
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:
    What do we expect..?

You're quite right. Tennessee is, and has always been, quite diverse. The full spectrum, if you will. From the most basic, plainest, down-home folks, to the reddest of rednecks, to the most sophisticated of gentlemen, one never knows what, or who, you'll bump into next. It's really something. I've been many places, but there's no place like home. (clicks his ruby cowboy boots and thanks God he's not still stationed in Ft. Riley KS) Actually, Kansas is also quite diverse, just not Ft. Riley.

One of the pleasant surprises when I moved here is the diversity. I pretty much was stuck at home for months just enjoying the open and breathable spaces. Met a lot of very welcoming people (like this forum) and the knowledge they imparted is priceless. Then I went to the big city and was blown away. By the shops, restaurants, people, and music everywhere. Great bars and all kinds of artist areas. And like you said, technology centers abound, my stepson moved from Minnesota and had a short wait to find a job in his field . Shame it is such a long drive from here. Jackson just doesn't stand up to Memphis and other cities, very poorly planned but it has a little of everything and good time can be had. Here in the Milan area I look forward to Doodle Soup Day and the Strawberry Festival.
    I will always miss things in N Va., but this is a great place to be. The people are more open and are there to be help out without being asked. I had an electrician install some outside lights and he took the time to help me plan a garden. Where I am from that help would have been part of the bill.
    Oh.
    The one thing I don't like about TN is the horrific drug problem. It is the reason we fought to keep our grand kids out of foster care.

If you watched the series "Drug Inc." I think you will agree we are not even close to understanding how bad the drug problems are across the entire country.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    How stupid are we? Just when I think people in this country can't get any stupider I see something on the news or YouTube that shows me just how wrong I am.
    Rhamlin:
    How stupid are we? Just when I think people in this country can't get any stupider I see something on the news or YouTube that shows me just how wrong I am.

AMEN to that.
    beatnic:

Beatnic, do you read my message? I made my comment only because the OP was making a value judgement about people "up north." I made it quite clear that I HAVE been to Tennessee, I know people there, and I have been to Memphis. VERY cool city.
    jd50ae:
    I do not miss the congestion, the thugs, the noise and I can walk out my "unlocked" door in the middle of the night and see every star in the sky.

For that I am quite jealous, sir. To escape congestion and see even anything close to a truly star-filled sky I'd have to travel at least 200 miles.
    raisindot:
    beatnic:

Beatnic, do you read my message? I made my comment only because the OP was making a value judgement about people "up north." I made it quite clear that I HAVE been to Tennessee, I know people there, and I have been to Memphis. VERY cool city.
    Forgive me. Now lets talk about those crazies in California. LOL.
    raisindot:
    beatnic:

Let me apologize and change "up north" (way too broad) to inside the beltway in N Va., where I am from. Did not mean to make it such a general catch all broad based get em all descriptor. I meant only to make a first hand comparison about the teens I have actually interacted with.

Not just the stars. I also get a much better look at the UFOs.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    jgibv:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:

pretty stupid.

As Einstein said

Damn that is wayyyy to close to truth :(
    I fail to see the "Orwellian" problem, the PROPERTY OWNER still has the right to make a decision to opt out of this regulation. Most multi-family properties have banned smoking for years due to the increased fire risk indoor smoking poses. The only real thing this law does in give the apartment complex owners more authority to enforce their own rules . Again, the OWNER can opt out if they choose.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    At one time, bars and businesses had the decision to opt out too.
    Now look where it is at. Even cigar bars are having a hard time being able to allow smoking.

Let's look at things like the seat belt law in Oregon. When the law was first passed, it wasn't a pull over offense. Meaning that they had to be pulling you over for some other infraction and see you not wearing the seat belt to get a ticket. Now, they are doing "sweeps" to catch people not wearing their seatbelts.

Everything starts with a seed.

There are communities out there that are trying to pass laws preventing people from smoking in their own homes, yards (if their neighbor's house is with in a certain distance) and trying to prevent people from smoking in their cars (using distraction laws to create that one).

It started with not allowing smoking in public businesses. Then moved to private business, then moved to restricting smoking with in a certain distance of businesses, to complete streets. Now in Oregon, you may not use tobacco (which includes chewing tobacco) on state owned properties (Only excluding state parks until they find a way to do that). Meaning any state office parking lots and the like.

The Orwellian reference was a generalization. Clearly it was dense of me to make that statement.
    One little regulation at a time. A frog in a a pot on the stove. Just turn up the heat slowly and he'll never know what hit him.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    0patience:
    At one time, bars and businesses had the decision to opt out too.
    Now look where it is at. Even cigar bars are having a hard time being able to allow smoking.

Let's look at things like the seat belt law in Oregon. When the law was first passed, it wasn't a pull over offense. Meaning that they had to be pulling you over for some other infraction and see you not wearing the seat belt to get a ticket. Now, they are doing "sweeps" to catch people not wearing their seatbelts.

Everything starts with a seed.

There are communities out there that are trying to pass laws preventing people from smoking in their own homes, yards (if their neighbor's house is with in a certain distance) and trying to prevent people from smoking in their cars (using distraction laws to create that one).

It started with not allowing smoking in public businesses. Then moved to private business, then moved to restricting smoking with in a certain distance of businesses, to complete streets. Now in Oregon, you may not use tobacco (which includes chewing tobacco) on state owned properties (Only excluding state parks until they find a way to do that). Meaning any state office parking lots and the like.

The Orwellian reference was a generalization. Clearly it was dense of me to make that statement.
    Eh, that's a bit of a blackhole to go down. I mean they threw kids out of bars long, long time ago but you and I can still get a drink there and your kid can still drink in your home if you allow it. But you can't give them one in public. Even long after prohibition it was still mostly illegal to brew/distill in your own home but those laws have slowly been loosened over the past decade or two. The increasingly stringent regulations will hit a breaking point and will be rolled back to something rational for a few decades until it starts up again, it's all a pendulum.
    Listening to NPR on the way to work the other morning, and they were talking about Pope Francis, how he's shaking things up by actually representing the teachings of Christ rather than the cog-in-the-machine pivot point that organized religion has become in the modern world. Been that way a long time, really, with occasional reformers showing up and trying to get the original messages back in play.

At any rate, the Pope has apparently issued some statements in which he declared that unfettered capitalism is dangerous, wrong, and essentially sinful in its greed and excess. Not that capitalism itself is bad, just that if it simply becomes a means of funneling all funds to the very top, while exploiting unfairly the people doing the work that makes it all possible, ie. the workers, that then the man at the top is committing a sin of greed.

Next up they played excerpts from Rush Limbaugh, in which he states something along the lines of: I don't know how they got to him, but they did. This Pope is preaching Marxism from the Vatican. I'm paraphrasing, so if this isn't exact, apologies. Now, Rush often says things that are facetious, sarcastic, or tongue-in-cheek, so my questions are:

How stupid would I have to be to believe that Rush meant these things?

or

How stupid would Rush have to be to believe these things?

and

How stupid would Rush's listeners have to be if they think that Rush Limbaugh is a more reliable interpreter of the teachings of Christ than the Pope?

The Pope is known as "The Vicar of Christ"
    Rush Limbaugh is more of "The Vicar of JP Morgan"

The mind boggles.
    Based on the New Testament, I think it would be hard to prove that Jesus was preaching anything akin to Marxism, which, after all, isn't just about anti-capitalism, but about abolishing private property and replacing elite (the borgeousie) with a "dictatorship of the proletariat" (i.e., a collective ruling by the working classes).

Whether you agree or disagree with Marxism, based on the Gospels alone Jesus was proto-Marxist. He never called for the abolishment of private property (remember "Give what's due the Romans") nor a collective government system. He was, however, extremely anti-wealth, anti-greed and pro-poor people, as thus was pretty much a social revolutionary. One surmises that he would have had no problem with his step-dad earning a decent living as a carpenter (as long as step-dad gave some money to the poor and did good works and led a good life following the Torah), but would have condemned ol' Joseph if he amassed a fortune opening a large chain of furniture stores.

As for Pope Francis, for me he's the best pope since Pope John of the 1960s as far as I'm concerned. I mean, there's absolutely nothing in the four Gospels where Jesus advocates creating a huge, highly hierarchical church institution that amasses billions of dollars worth of wealth and property. If anything, you see in his rants against the Pharisees (who were pretty much like the Vatican of its time) a grassroots protest against established religious institutions. After decades of a church the aligned itself with the wealthy and powerful, it's nice to see that Francis is taking in a (relatively) more progressive direction.

Mind you, I am not Christian, but I do enjoy studying all religious, and reading all kinds of religious texts and analyzing them from a pure layman's non-religious point of view, just as I like to do with the Old Testament that is the book of my particular faith--it's got enough nastiness going on it to fill a dozen or more potboilers...
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Hey, at this point, capitalism is but a dim distant poorly understood relic of the past. We don't have capitalism. What we have is an advanced cronyism more akin to fascism. Nothing in capitalism demands bailouts for billionaires, government sponsored stock market bubbles, too rich to jail, to big to fail, subsidized failure, social engineering, over regulation, and the rest of it.

It's ironic how capitalism gets blamed for all the failures which its abandonment has brought on.

.... and that right there is a "how stupid are we if..."

• jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    raisindot:
    If anything, you see in his rants against the Pharisees (who were pretty much like the Vatican of its time) a grassroots protest against established religious institutions.
    Just a small point of order on this. The Sadducees were the party of the rich and powerful. The Pharisees were more working class and what amounted to middle income. But you are right in saying Jesus spoke against both groups, just for different reasons.
    I saw an article on Yahoo News the other day, some school official banned the use of "Christ" in the performance of Silent Night by a school choir.

Also

At a cemetary in San Diego, I believe, a judge ordered the removal of a cross, citing that it was offensive to non-Christians. I believe this was a cemetary for war veterans. (?) Not 100% sure right now. Apparently atheist groups, and at least one Jewish group had brought the suit.

Now, I grew up mostly on military bases. Spent several years in the military, my Dad is interred at Arlington National Cemetary, and in all the places I've been, I've seen crosses, Star of David, reproductions of the stone tablets of the 10 Commandments, etc. on the headstones. Gasp! Public displays of belief!

These censorships of belief make no sense to me.

Apparently, the Jewish group involved felt discriminated against because of the Crucifix. So? Erect your own. I don't care, Star of David, a Menorrah, 10 Commandments, I'll respect those symbols of your belief. Muslims can put up a crescent. If there are Hindus buried there, whatever the appropriate monument to them is can be erected by their group, smiling Buddah's, whether the fat jolly one or the lean contemplative one. I'd be a fool, indeed a jackass, to disrespect those beliefs.

Of all groups, the ACLU is the most disappointing. Their representative in San Diego, commenting on the courts decision, said:

"This represents a great step forward for religious freedom."

How stupid would someone have to be to believe that this form of censorship, this obvious violation of civil rights, is a "step forward".?

After all, the atheists get to keep their symbol.

Nothing.

• james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Amos, that's Mount Soledad. This has been going back and forth for years, mostly thanks to one dude. The judge rules to remove it, then immediately says it can be appealed. Rinse wash repeat.