Home Non Cigar Related

Any info on painting easels?

perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
I'm getting more into oil painting and am looking to get an easel mostly for home use and was wondering if there was a brand/type I should look at or avoid. This is the type I've been looking at most:

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Its all about the legs. Make sure they are very sturdy and doesn't move. Also, I remember I had an easel where the hardware on the legs were garbage. The wingnuts/screws stripped and fell apart after a few weeks of use. Check for that too. Other than that its preference. This one looks really nice
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    i bought a simuliar one for my wife she's a big oil painter, the one i got her can either be used with the legs or on a table top.
    from what i have seen at our local art supply houses is they are pretty much the same when it comes to this type i think it's called a french style.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Think about your legs. Standing or sitting...
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    Just remember that quality pays off in the long run even if it cost a bit more now. I have two that are basically junk and I look forward to the day when I can invest, yes I said invest, in a quality product that will last out my life.
    perkinke:
    I'm getting more into oil painting and am looking to get an easel mostly for home use and was wondering if there was a brand/type I should look at or avoid. This is the type I've been looking at most:

Abstract or life painting? Or perhaps modernistic?
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    RBeckom:
    Just remember that quality pays off in the long run even if it cost a bit more now. I have two that are basically junk and I look forward to the day when I can invest, yes I said invest, in a quality product that will last out my life.
    I totally agree, the problem is I only have one craft shop around that carries anything like this so judging quality is hard to do. I've seen the same brands across the web span a range of hundreds dollars. the one in the picture is a Julian (which seems to be a reputable brand) that I have seen for as much as $600 and as little as $65 and can't tell any major difference from the descriptions.

As for style, well....I'm not quite at the point i can claim any particular method. :) I'm still working on basics and developing a better eye for colors so I've done a couple landscapes that have been variously compared to Gaugin and "the thing my kid stuck to the fridge." :) I have always loved the Impressionists though, for some reason those seem to have more feeling to me than other styles.
    I prefer abstract in general but sometimes do serious work.
    As for the easel pictured it looks to be of sturdy construction.