Home Cigar 101

Noob intro and a Tower Humidor question

MinadinMinadin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi all. Been lurking for a few months registered today. I usually smoke swishers, Cao flavours, Acids and Java type cigars and my brother "from another mother" got me a Tower humidor so I can store cigars instead of buying a little at a time. I have seasoned it thanks to these forums and use kitty litter with no issues. That's the intro now my question, What is the 8" diameter hole in the top of the unit for? There is no info I could find by searching and pictures of other peoples units where you can see the hole, well it's still a hole. Surely something goes up there..Thanks

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    I'm guessing that the hole doesn't compromise the integrity of the inside if you could season it properly?
    Post a pic or a link to the humi so we can see...
  • MinadinMinadin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response. Here's a link http://wheresmydrink.com/wp-content/gallery/misc/humihole.jpg The cavity is 3" deep/tall above the hole and is the size of the humidor.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    allsmokedup:
    I'm guessing that the hole doesn't compromise the integrity of the inside if you could season it properly?
    Post a pic or a link to the humi so we can see...
    Yea, post a picture of it. I'm trying to visualize what the hole is or where it's at, but come up empty.
    I haven't seen a hole on a tower humi. The only hole I can think of would be for the hygrometer, but that's 3 1/2" max. 8" is a considerable hole.

[edit]
    Interesting. Would like to see the whole humi. What brand/make is it?
    It's possible it is there for some kind of circulation fan to go in, but not likely.
    If it is the tower with the "peak" on it, like a house. They probably cut the hole to allow air movement in the top to prevent moisture from accumulating in the top to prevent mold. Just a guess.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    0patience:
    They probably cut the hole to allow air movement in the top to prevent moisture from accumulating in the top to prevent mold. Just a guess.

Sounds about right. You can probably rig up a fan since they were so nice to give you a premade place to put it...
  • FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    swishers, Cao flavours, Acids and Java and a $1,000 humidor.

Maybe I'm smoking the wrong cigars.

Congrats on the Tower.

Do folks think storing flavored cigars in a large humidor such as this will "flavorize" the entire cabinet?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Could that hole up there be for a light fixture maybe?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Could that hole up there be for a light fixture maybe? Could you post a pic of the whole humidor? Or a link to this humidor on sale somewhere?
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    Looks like that piece of wood was recycled from an old subwoofer enclosure.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    FNA:
    swishers, Cao flavours, Acids and Java and a $1,000 humidor. Maybe I'm smoking the wrong cigars. Congrats on the Tower. Do folks think storing flavored cigars in a large humidor such as this will "flavorize" the entire cabinet?
    Don't put non flavored and flavored in the same humidor!
  • FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    "Don't put non flavored and flavored in the same humidor!"

Well then, menadin better not change to straight smokes, cause his 3,000 smoke cabinet is getting the flavored to start.