Home Non Cigar Related

Major snow storm hits W TN

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
My step son was t-boned by a woman who lost control of her car. Totally her fault but he is UN-insured and is the one being charged

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I hope he is ok!Why was he driving without insurance? I happen to agree that he should pay. I have been in one accident in 7 years. I've paid insurance that entire time. Let's say 200 bucks a month, that comes out to $16,000. You can drive without insurance, but when you get caught, you should pay.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Rain:
    I hope he is ok!Why was he driving without insurance? I happen to agree that he should pay. I have been in one accident in 7 years. I've paid insurance that entire time. Let's say 200 bucks a month, that comes out to $16,000. You can drive without insurance, but when you get caught, you should pay.
    Somewhat off topic, but holy menaces on the highway Batman, you pay a lot for car insurance.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Rain:

Blaming someone for something they did not do is never right.

I agree he should have insurance, I have it, for over 45 years and I have never been in an accident.
    He should have been given a ticket or fined, but blamed, no.
    I guess, I'm not sure. My wife and I are 25, two 2012 vehicles.
    He is getting a fine....it's called paying for the accident.
    Rain:
    He is getting a fine....it's called paying for the accident.

Which wasn't his fault.
    Being on the road without insurance was his fault. He knew it before he got in the car. If he had not been on the road, then that lady would have never hit him. He WAS on the road, illegally.I'm sorry, I did not meant to take over your thread! Everyone knows my stance on this issue, so I will let go. But you never told us...he IS ok, right?
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Rain:
    At that age I was paying ~$750 annually for liabilitycompcollision on 2 vehicles. Now it is closer to 600, but we are both in higher age brackets now. You may want to shop around.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    insurance is a bunch of hubabaloo IMO.

Glad to hear he's OK.
    I agree he should not be blamed for the accident if it was not his fault. The other person's insurance will not pay to fix his car though, it sucks. But unfortunately that's how it works.
    Also, he should not have to pay for that person's repairs though since he did not cause the accident

Is he being charged with causing the accident? If so, lawyer up if it was not his fault, that's BS and sounds like the other person and/or their insurance company is trying to F him over.
    Or is he just being charged for driving without insurance? If so....not much you can do about that.

• webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    jd50ae:
    My step son was t-boned by a woman who lost control of her car. Totally her fault but he is UN-insured and is the one being charged
    Charged with what? That part is not clear. Is he charged with driving uninsured? Or is he charged with causing the accident? Or does Tennessee take the irrational view that the uninsured driver is at fault for any accident regardless of circumstance?

BTW, if he cannot afford insurance, perhaps he should consider riding a motorcycle. All three of my motorcycles put together cost me $180 per year. Per year. That's all three; not each. That's less than I pay per month for the wife's Durango. The savings in gas will pay for insurance. No crotch rockets ( = wrecks) and no Hardley Ablesons ( = thefts, drunkenness, and excessive valuation). He can pick up a quality rice burner for under two grand and ride to work for peanuts.

Good luck with the stepson.

webmost:
    jd50ae:
    Charged with what? That part is not clear. Is he charged with driving uninsured? Or is he charged with causing the accident? Or does Tennessee take the irrational view that the uninsured driver is at fault for any accident regardless of circumstance?

BTW, if he cannot afford insurance, perhaps he should consider riding a motorcycle. All three of my motorcycles put together cost me $180 per year. Per year. That's all three; not each. That's less than I pay per month for the wife's Durango. The savings in gas will pay for insurance. No crotch rockets ( = wrecks) and no Hardley Ablesons ( = thefts, drunkenness, and excessive valuation). He can pick up a quality rice burner for under two grand and ride to work for peanuts.

Good luck with the stepson.

Right now we are trying (via phone) to get him to go to the emergency room.
    Exact details have yet to come out.
    He has a family and he needs a truck to work. A motorcycle is out of the question.
    The truck was actually 2 half's put together to make one. It was a b*tch to keep running, but he did. It was all he could afford and now none of us know what to do.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    jthanatos:
    Rain:
    Somewhat off topic, but holy menaces on the highway Batman, you pay a lot for car insurance.
    I hope your son is okay, and weathers any consequences of being uninsured. It's probably best to leave it at that.

But I will say, my wife and I pay just under $380/mo for two vehicles (2008 and 2012). That includes some discounts like multi-line, but after my last speeding ticket we lost the safe driver. Never once have I been in an accident and had to file a claim.
    jthanatos:
    Rain:
    At that age I was paying ~$750 annually for liabilitycompcollision on 2 vehicles. Now it is closer to 600, but we are both in higher age brackets now. You may want to shop around.
    Yeah --- who do you have Rain. That seems way too high.

Wife and I are close to you in age....and we pay about 1025/year with Erie
    That's full coverage for a 2009 4-door subaru legacy and 2012 4-door forester. We get a slight discount for having home-owners with them too, and we keep a higher deductible (1500 I think) which saves a few bucks.
    But we shopped around when wife got her new car almost 2 years ago (did not have home discount with them) but of all the "big guys" State Farm was the most $$, Nationwide and Progressive were a little less, but Erie was the cheapest by about $300.

/thread jack
    USAA.Looking out for troops my @$$! I'm mad now that I see I'm probably paying way too much.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Rain:
    USAA.Looking out for troops my @$$! I'm mad now that I see I'm probably paying way too much.
    I had them years ago, I felt the same way. Back on topic, very sorry to hear about this. I hope your son is okay. He should go see a doctor though. I was in a collision a few weeks ago do to a dumb driver in the snow. I hate people that do dumb crap on the road. Insurance imo is bunk. I've had my policy for years, never a ticket, or anything and now my rates may go up.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    As a person in the insurance biz the fact he had no insurance bears no affect on fault of the accident. I've had to tell policy holders that were following a drunk driver home and braked and slid into them because of crappy road conditions .... The police came wrote an accident report and arrested the drunk and towed the car to the impound yard. Learn this and be adamant with your insurance company ..... Facts of the accident , facts of the accident, facts of the accident. No license , no insurance , no neither is enough to prove fault. Police do not determine liability , the insurance company does. End of story ...... If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'd be happy to help.
    kingjk729:
    As a person in the insurance biz the fact he had no insurance bears no affect on fault of the accident. I've had to tell policy holders that were following a drunk driver home and braked and slid into them because of crappy road conditions .... The police came wrote an accident report and arrested the drunk and towed the car to the impound yard. Learn this and be adamant with your insurance company ..... Facts of the accident , facts of the accident, facts of the accident. No license , no insurance , no neither is enough to prove fault. Police do not determine liability , the insurance company does. End of story ...... If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'd be happy to help.

Thank you.

So, my son finally goes to the emergency room. They stick him in a waiting room for over 2 hours and then they turn the lights off. His back and shoulder are in some serious pain. He thinks that he is going to be able to see the family doctor today, they have been so busy with the flu going around I have been getting a busy signal for 2 days.

And now the woman has changed her story and is claiming it wasn't her fault. School was cancelled and she had 2 kids in the car. Where was she going..? For a bottle of milk..?
    More information.

The cop says to my step son "you didn't stand a chance did you".

The woman ran a red light and caused the accident. On icy roads yet. Of course now she is lying about running the red light.

3 year old kid in the front seat and no child restraints.
    jd50ae:
    More information.

Is the cop saying he didn't stand the chance of not getting hit by the lady who caused the accident?
    jd50ae:
    The woman ran a red light and caused the accident. On icy roads yet. Of course now she is lying about running the red light.

She T-boned him, would be hard to argue that he caused the accident....
    "Broadside collisions are frequently caused by a failure to yield right of way. In the case of collisions in an intersection, the cause is often a result of one vehicle failing to obey traffic signals (fail to stop or running past a red light)."

Any witnesses; other motorists, houses nearby, stores, etc?
    jd50ae:
    And now the woman has changed her story and is claiming it wasn't her fault. School was cancelled and she had 2 kids in the car. Where was she going..? For a bottle of milk..?
    Well, driving around with your kids is not a crime. Sounds like this is going to be veryrrrry drawn out man. If she is going to lie about things, nobody is going to win. It sounds there are no cameras at the scene or other motorists that saw, either.
    Rain:
    jd50ae:
    Well, driving around with your kids is not a crime. Sounds like this is going to be veryrrrry drawn out man. If she is going to lie about things, nobody is going to win. It sounds there are no cameras at the scene or other motorists that saw, either.

TN has some of the toughest, by law and enforcement, seat belt laws in the country. In the state it is illegal for a 3 year old not to use restraints. And I think, I'll have to check, it is also illegal for under 6 to be in the front seat.
    Well ok, you did not say all that before, you just questioned where she was going with her kids.Really sorry to hear about this....nobody is going to come out better then they went in.
    jgibv:
    jd50ae:
    More information.

Is the cop saying he didn't stand the chance of not getting hit by the lady who caused the accident?
    jd50ae:

She T-boned him, would be hard to argue that he caused the accident....
    "Broadside collisions are frequently caused by a failure to yield right of way. In the case of collisions in an intersection, the cause is often a result of one vehicle failing to obey traffic signals (fail to stop or running past a red light)."

Any witnesses; other motorists, houses nearby, stores, etc?

He t-boned her because she ran a red light and he was pulling out on a green light, she was speeding trying to beat the light. The cop was saying "you didn't stand a chance did you" to my step son.

2 people stopped to make sure everyone was OK but did not wait for the police. Curious that they inquired after Jesse and the women's kid but ignored her.

It was at an intersection populated by small businesses, and I hope that, if necessary, a good lawyer will interview people.

Sorry for all the corrections but Jesse was a mess yesterday and our concern was for him. Today he is talking a lot clearer and we are catching up on what happened.
    Rain:
    Well ok, you did not say all that before, you just questioned where she was going with her kids.Really sorry to hear about this....nobody is going to come out better then they went in.

Thanks....

Yea, it ruined a lot of people's day.
    jd50ae:
    He t-boned her because she ran a red light and he was pulling out on a green light, she was speeding trying to beat the light. The cop was saying "you didn't stand a chance did you" to my step son.

2 people stopped to make sure everyone was OK but did not wait for the police. Curious that they inquired after Jesse and the women's kid but ignored her.

It was at an intersection populated by small businesses, and I hope that, if necessary, a good lawyer will interview people.

Sorry for all the corrections but Jesse was a mess yesterday and our concern was for him. Today he is talking a lot clearer and we are catching up on what happened.
    Got it....glad to hear your step son is doing better.
    Certainly sounds like she is at fault, no ifs ands or buts about it. But if she's going to deny it was her fault, sounds like you're in for a court battle....that stinks.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Rain:
    I've had USAA for years.
    jgibv:
    jd50ae:

Got it....glad to hear your step son is doing better.
    Certainly sounds like she is at fault, no ifs ands or buts about it. But if she's going to deny it was her fault, sounds like you're in for a court battle....that stinks.

I use to do some side work for lawyers and the police. Think I will get my sneaky and soft shoes on.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I hope somebody (Police) is checking with the businesses at this intersection for any chance a security video camera caught the crash. And do it fast before the hard drives re-record over the possible evidence.
    JD, any updates?
    Rain:
    JD, any updates?

Thanks for asking.Yup....He finally got to see the family doctor who sent him to the EM room for X-Rays, they refused. So the doctor put him on steroids and pain meds. This morning he went to the police dept to get a copy of the accident report...it has not been filed yet. How long does it take..? His shoulder is better but his back has some pain. If we ever get the accident report we will give the other drivers insurance carrier the choice of getting him something to drive, or go to court. We do know that the accident report puts total fault on the other driver.

By the way...how is your wife doing..?