Home Non Cigar Related

websites using social media for contests.

0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
I'm getting really irritated with this push to make us use Facebook, Twitter and all those social media to enter contests, sweepstakes or giveaways.
Today, I was looking on the internet, came across a cool ashtray giveaway and it says click on the form to enter. I click and it takes me to Facebook. Damn it!
Not everyone wants to be forced to use Facebook and Twitter.
What ever happened to the simple form you filled out and clicked enter.

Ok, that's my rant.

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    0patience:
    I'm getting really irritated with this push to make us use Facebook, Twitter and all those social media to enter contests, sweepstakes or giveaways.
    Today, I was looking on the internet, came across a cool ashtray giveaway and it says click on the form to enter. I click and it takes me to Facebook. Damn it!

Ok, that's my rant.

My rant too...
    I do not now or will I ever use either one. Too much cheap gossip and too many keyboard warriors.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I hate that too. My guess is it's the easiest way for sombody to set up registrations on their website. Facebook and the others probably make the process easy for the website owner to funnel the contest through them so they can insidiously gather more info about you.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    I'm with you with the added reason that things like that might also open my account up to people that I don't necessarily want to see it.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    0patience:

Ok, that's my rant.
    Thank you.

I've also been unhappy about having to find out my pay "on-line", being told by my bank when I call them with a question to "just click on..." whatever, and every store clerk asking for my E-mail address while ringing up a sale so they can fill my box with crap, etc.

When I was a kid, there was a neighbor who was paranoid that the TV was watching him. We thought that was hilarious. Who knew he'd turn out to be right in the long run?
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    perkinke:
    I'm with you with the added reason that things like that might also open my account up to people that I don't necessarily want to see it.
    you can limit this depending on what the contest uses.

Honestly, are you guys really complaining that a company who is giving away something for free is asking for something back? It is a GREAT use of social media. Info for a chance to win something. Same as those types of contests in the malls where you just need to fill out this little sheet to be entered.....just digital.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    brianetz1:
    perkinke:

Honestly, are you guys really complaining that a company who is giving away something for free is asking for something back? It is a GREAT use of social media. Info for a chance to win something. Same as those types of contests in the malls where you just need to fill out this little sheet to be entered.....just digital.
    Nope. Not the same thing.
    And they aren't giving it away for you filling in the form, they are having a contest.
    No guarantee of actually getting anything.

If it were just a form to fill out on their website, it would be one thing.
    If it were a form on their site that doesn't use social media, it wouldn't announce to the world you entered their contest.
    It is requiring you to have Facebook or Twitter, which I do not want to use.

If I choose not to use social media, that is my choice, but companies need to be aware that there is still a large percentage of us who do not use social media.
    Just because someone wants to plaster everything they do to everyone, doesn't mean I want to.

And comparing that to filling out something in the mall isn't a very good comparison. If I fill out something in the mall, they don't call all my friends and family and tell them what I did. Or tell everyone in the world that I liked their teriyaki sauce, when I don't really. I just wanted to try it.

And I don't think you read the original post.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    0patience:
    brianetz1:
    perkinke:

Nope. Not the same thing.
    And they aren't giving it away for you filling in the form, they are having a contest.
    No guarantee of actually getting anything.

If it were just a form to fill out on their website, it would be one thing.
    If it were a form on their site that doesn't use social media, it wouldn't announce to the world you entered their contest.
    It is requiring you to have Facebook or Twitter, which I do not want to use.

If I choose not to use social media, that is my choice, but companies need to be aware that there is still a large percentage of us who do not use social media.
    Just because someone wants to plaster everything they do to everyone, doesn't mean I want to.

And comparing that to filling out something in the mall isn't a very good comparison. If I fill out something in the mall, they don't call all my friends and family and tell them what I did. Or tell everyone in the world that I liked their teriyaki sauce, when I don't really. I just wanted to try it.

And I don't think you read the original post.
    then don't signup for the contest. It's that easy. The companies are doing this to get information plain and simple. if you are uncomfortable with that then stay away from it. Believe me, it isn't going away. too many people (including me) are giving them the access that they want.

I read it, it just don't agree. I totally see your point, but i never came from that generation where i valued my "privacy"

I grew up with the internet in my life and when i went into tech i realized how much privacy it has lost us and decided Oh well, i don't have anything to hide anyway. Just a different mindset.

If I were you I would just get a twitter. You can create a fake twitter specifically to be used for contests which doesn't have any personal info and then just ignore all the facebook requests.