Home Ratings & Reviews

Forum Blend

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Hey Rain, Thanks for bringing Alex's post back up. Those of us who gave opinions on the construction of these cigars were probably already committing the twenty bucks to see how they would turn out. Not a big investment, but if you were not happy, 100 % guarantee probably applies to these too.

I knew they were not going to be the new Opus X or Ashton ESG, and I have spent more money sampling cigars I did not end up liking, so it didn't bother me, it was just another cigar that I tried and didn't really care for. Maybe next time we can get a little more advice before the cigars are rolled.
    I believe Alex or another forum member, did offer opinions and suggestions as to which tobacco might over power another or not pair well together, and the best statement was " too many chiefs, not enough Indians.. Try and make everybody happy, you end up disappointing most.
  • TridentTrident Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,005
    catfishbluezz:
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Trident:
    It wasn't Horrid. i smoked a few of them. Was it the best thing...no. Was it the worst...definitely not. I think its part of the learning process. Smoke one and make your own opinion.
    And we learned....that the forum as a whole is not a good blender.
    Well, to a degree, we are... What sucks is one tweak and the blend is now a new release. That tweak should've been done before they were produced. Obviously, we are not blenders, and had no ability to try it fresh and know it was a blend worth producing for us. I mean, if someone knew it sucked before they started rolling, why did they roll? Obviously, someone made a small tweak, and now a new product is out with a blend ridiculously similar. That's kind of insulting. I can think of plenty of awesome $4 sticks in my humi's. I still have my fiver sitting in there, waiting until I feel like trying it. I must say I was rather bummed. I may smoke one or gift them out to the guys around here, but for the most part, I will not look forward to the process if it happens again.
    Don't you think it is part of the process of blending? to actually try what you actually make? You learn by making some errors. If we just wanted a stick for the forum blended by AJ or whomever, we should just ask for it. I think the process was fun, and it was nice to try. I don't think it was insulting. And for all you know, someone actually loved the cigar. Just because it wasn't your flavor profile, doesn't make it terrible. and if you haven't tried one yet, how do you even have an opinion?

I look forward to the next attempt at this.
    So I need to smoke one to have an opinion when 100% of those who have said it was terrible? I mean really, the consumers answered, it was a waste of money. To me, there is no reason this should have made it back to us. If I could get my money back, I would. The whole point is to create something that we enjoy, not a piece of dog *** no one enjoys just to say we did. This is not part of the blending process... That;s throwing away money so someone can profit. The blending process is coming up with an idea, and tweaking it until it works. We didn't do that... Sorry, but CCom lost my trust in this one. Plenty of other forums have blended cigars that were palateable. We got burned. No reason someone in the testing process could not have said..., "hey guys, your blend tastes like butthole. You should tweak this...ok?" I mean, most AJ blends sell for $2, so I am sure they made some $$$ of our ignorance. That's not cool. I wasted $20 woohoo!
    Of course you need to smoke one to make an opinion. Its like the reviews you do...do you read all of the other reviews first and then review it, or are they just what other people have had to say about the cigars? or are they what you think? To honestly assess a cigar you need to smoke one, and actually probably 2 or 3 or more. So if you haven't smoked one, I don't think what you have to say is fair, its just hear-say...But now, you'll probably smoke one and say what everyone else has said just to say you have. But anyway, maybe it is that people thought this was going to be the next Opus, or the next Padron 64. and for the price of $4...it wasn't a bad cigar. I have paid a lot more money for cigars that are sub-par.

Its a fun process to blend and try your own blends. So, that is why i am looking forward to it. It does help to not have 1000s of people doing it, but again, its kind of fun. There was a forum blend a few years ago, and from my understanding turned out really good. If anyone has any of those I'd be willing to trade for them or buy them.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    For the record, and maybe to clarify, I didn't like the blend a whole lot, I'm disappointed that AJ said it wasn't very good and it went out as-is, and I wish the whole thing would go faster including the tweaking, but I'd never balk at a price of 20 bucks to play. It was (and hopefully will continue to be, if we tweak it) fun.

Now if this Fallen Angel business gets in the way with moving on, I'll be pissed as hell. Hopefully it's all a coincidence and Alex has just been busy and/or waiting on some aging for better judgments on what to do.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Trident:
    It wasn't Horrid. i smoked a few of them. Was it the best thing...no. Was it the worst...definitely not. I think its part of the learning process. Smoke one and make your own opinion.
    Well, to a degree, we are... What sucks is one tweak and the blend is now a new release. That tweak should've been done before they were produced. Obviously, we are not blenders, and had no ability to try it fresh and know it was a blend worth producing for us. I mean, if someone knew it sucked before they started rolling, why did they roll? Obviously, someone made a small tweak, and now a new product is out with a blend ridiculously similar. That's kind of insulting. I can think of plenty of awesome $4 sticks in my humi's. I still have my fiver sitting in there, waiting until I feel like trying it. I must say I was rather bummed. I may smoke one or gift them out to the guys around here, but for the most part, I will not look forward to the process if it happens again.
    Don't you think it is part of the process of blending? to actually try what you actually make? You learn by making some errors. If we just wanted a stick for the forum blended by AJ or whomever, we should just ask for it. I think the process was fun, and it was nice to try. I don't think it was insulting. And for all you know, someone actually loved the cigar. Just because it wasn't your flavor profile, doesn't make it terrible. and if you haven't tried one yet, how do you even have an opinion?

So I need to smoke one to have an opinion when 100% of those who have said it was terrible? I mean really, the consumers answered, it was a waste of money. To me, there is no reason this should have made it back to us. If I could get my money back, I would. The whole point is to create something that we enjoy, not a piece of dog *** no one enjoys just to say we did. This is not part of the blending process... That;s throwing away money so someone can profit. The blending process is coming up with an idea, and tweaking it until it works. We didn't do that... Sorry, but CCom lost my trust in this one. Plenty of other forums have blended cigars that were palateable. We got burned. No reason someone in the testing process could not have said..., "hey guys, your blend tastes like butthole. You should tweak this...ok?" I mean, most AJ blends sell for $2, so I am sure they made some $$$ of our ignorance. That's not cool. I wasted $20 woohoo!
    Of course you need to smoke one to make an opinion. Its like the reviews you do...do you read all of the other reviews first and then review it, or are they just what other people have had to say about the cigars? or are they what you think? To honestly assess a cigar you need to smoke one, and actually probably 2 or 3 or more. So if you haven't smoked one, I don't think what you have to say is fair, its just hear-say...But now, you'll probably smoke one and say what everyone else has said just to say you have. But anyway, maybe it is that people thought this was going to be the next Opus, or the next Padron 64. and for the price of $4...it wasn't a bad cigar. I have paid a lot more money for cigars that are sub-par.

Its a fun process to blend and try your own blends. So, that is why i am looking forward to it. It does help to not have 1000s of people doing it, but again, its kind of fun. There was a forum blend a few years ago, and from my understanding turned out really good. If anyone has any of those I'd be willing to trade for them or buy them.
    So when I smoke it and it sucks, it's still isntfair and heresay? I'll smoke one tonight. Thanks for questioning my objectivity. The only reason I haven't, is everyone I've talked to about laughs at how terrible it is. That reflects poorly on AJ and Alex.
    catfishbluezz:
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Trident:
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Trident:

So when I smoke it and it sucks, it's still isntfair and heresay? I'll smoke one tonight. Thanks for questioning my objectivity. The only reason I haven't, is everyone I've talked to about laughs at how terrible it is. That reflects poorly on AJ and Alex.
    no, but now it's not objective because even if you like it you'll probably just say what everyone else said. And I don't think it speaks poorly on them. If we want a cigar blended by these guys, lets just ask for one instead of all of this voting.
    Again, thanks for calling my objectivity into question... Speaks volumes
    You did it yourself by commenting on something you never tried. I'm sorry for pointing that out.
    ???? Kick rocks dude
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Trident:
    no, but now it's not objective because even if you like it you'll probably just say what everyone else said. And I don't think it speaks poorly on them. If we want a cigar blended by these guys, lets just ask for one instead of all of this voting
    So you ARE saying he can't be objective. If you're going to say it, then say it. But if you say it, mean it. So own up.
    Raising hand...I called him out on it.

and I apologize for letting it get this far. I always promised that I would not be one of those guys. Apologizes to the forum.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Say two Hail Marys and bomb someone. Just kiddin.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    I really enjoyed the process and think it's a cool way to teach people not in the business how difficult the process is to make a quality blend. The $20 mark seems about right to me and I viewed it basically as paying to be a part of it. Anything more and I would have just ordered a 5er of something I knew I liked already. It would be nice to get a follow-up from CCom about whether we are done or will work to better the blend as well as a response about the Fallen Angel "coincidence."
    After smoking it tonight, I would have been more then happy to pay twice as much, had they been honest up front and said it sucked, we need to produce another blend. To me it wasn't about the money. I figured it would be a blend I wouldn't like from the get go, but that wasn't the point. In the meantime, now I have a reason to bomb the bridge...
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    *Shuts mouth. Slowly walks backwards, with head down, to the back of the room*

Nothing to see here folks. Moving on.
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    ....so, after the fire has died out, age has not improved it.... with that, I have a 5'r of them. To anyone interested, they are $5 per... they are a limited production and somewhat rare, never to be replicated...... hahahhahahha!
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    Did I say $5? I meant $10..... very rare stick! They are unique. Impress your friends with this one-of-a-kind cigar. Price does not include shipping........hahahhahhahhaa!!
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    For the record, with regards to everything Catfish says about this stick, the blend, the CCOm issue, the feeling duped-----I am in 100% agreement.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    I would like to try one.
    dr_frankenstein56:
    I would like to try one.
    PM me your address, I got you.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    AVJim:
    Did I say $5? I meant $10..... very rare stick! They are unique. Impress your friends with this one-of-a-kind cigar. Price does not include shipping........hahahhahhahhaa!!
    Hi Jim!!! Glad to see ya back
  • Bad Daddy RabbitBad Daddy Rabbit Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    I realize the critics panned the results and rightfully so. A new blend and ROTT. So revisited the stick after about of year rest and was pleasantly surprised. The sharp edges have mellowed and IMHO the blend is developing quite nicely. It's an AJF Nico so has a lot of the expected pepper and spice, but seems to be a lot smoother than before. I find it enjoyable. The burn was great, the retro has settled down and the taste has improved noticeably. If anyone is still holding some and want to move them, will entertain a trade for them. PM me and let me know what you would be interested in. I think the blend was just not ready.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I'm a critic...I've finally made it! Will have to give this another shot.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Still have one as well.. I almost forgot about it as I found an un-banded cigar in my humidor just the other day. Oh yeah, that's what it is !! My last chance to fall in love. Hope it happens.
    Have to see if I still have one kickin' around, I think I do.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Bad Daddy Rabbit:
    I realize the critics panned the results and rightfully so. A new blend and ROTT. So revisited the stick after about of year rest and was pleasantly surprised. The sharp edges have mellowed and IMHO the blend is developing quite nicely. It's an AJF Nico so has a lot of the expected pepper and spice, but seems to be a lot smoother than before. I find it enjoyable. The burn was great, the retro has settled down and the taste has improved noticeably. If anyone is still holding some and want to move them, will entertain a trade for them. PM me and let me know what you would be interested in. I think the blend was just not ready.
    Did this just happen? Somebody else likes the Forum Blend?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Uh oh. I was looking forward to the forum blend, but then life got in the way and I never got to try it out. Know if CCom still has some available or maybe I can trade for it?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    wwhwang:
    Uh oh. I was looking forward to the forum blend, but then life got in the way and I never got to try it out. Know if CCom still has some available or maybe I can trade for it?
    Send me your address. I got ya
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Gray4lines:
    wwhwang:
    Send me your address. I got ya
    Thanks so much, Gray. PM sent.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    I have one left too. Was saving for a time I had to induce vomiting----but maybe Ill reconsider its usage.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    just smoked one of these and have a few notes about a year and a half out...

Forum blend quick notes:

still has a relatively fresh/strong smell. Ugly cap. No ammonia or off scents before the light. Sour oil notes on the cap when moistened.

Double guillotine. Unsweet Licorice maybe clove?
    Soft flame.
    First third: Some good earth and wood notes. Some musk but not well placed. Spice is mellow but absolutely red pepper.

Middle third: mildly sweet and spicy. Finish is the same light red pepper but what lingers is a dry wood note. It doesnt quite fit.

Final third: the flavors even out a bit and the spice becomes more intense and complex. This is the best section. Still doesnt quite feel right.

two hour smoke time