Home Non Cigar Related

A scripture a day keeps the devil at bay.

12346»

Comments

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Big''nBall''n:
    Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. —Psalm 1:1-2
    I find that it would be hard to follow this scripture in these days and times. or maybe i dont understand this scripture. I feel that we all at times fall in into one of these catagory, wicked, sinner, mockers. i know there is not a level of severity to these either. i'm not sure what i'm trying to say i guess.
    I hear what you're saying, bro. The verses aren't talking about being perfect, but the direction you are trying to go. There's a progression from walking to standing to sitting. If you walk with the wicked you'll end up standing with sinners and eventually sitting with mockers. The idea is that if you go down the wrong path, you get more comfortable with it as you go. The challenge is to seek God's will and make your goal to keep moving towards him. Nobody ever does that perfectly, but He promises blessing when we make Him our delight.

Sorry, put on my preacher hat for a minute there. :^)
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    I think so too Doug. Was a good reply. No appology needed.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    Agreed with Doug.

The progression describes people who begin to imitate those who despise God's Law and replace it with something that suits their own whims. Imitation leads to alliance, and alliance leads to assimilation. This leads to outright rejection and even ridicule of God and His Word. Those who refuse to tread this path avoid this downward spiral and therefore are truly blessed.

Also, I think it is interesting that some theologians have seen this Psalm as Messianic, that is, pointing to the Messiah who would come in the future to fulfill these things in order to be the perfect substitute for sinners.

Sorry, now I put on my preacher hat. :)

This was one I had to memorize in Hebrew class, Psalm 1:1
    ??????????????????? ???????? ???? ??????? ????????? ??????????? ??????????? ?????????? ???? ?????? ???????????? ???????? ???? ????????
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Chemnitz:
    Agreed with Doug.

The progression describes people who begin to imitate those who despise God's Law and replace it with something that suits their own whims. Imitation leads to alliance, and alliance leads to assimilation. This leads to outright rejection and even ridicule of God and His Word. Those who refuse to tread this path avoid this downward spiral and therefore are truly blessed.

Also, I think it is interesting that some theologians have seen this Psalm as Messianic, that is, pointing to the Messiah who would come in the future to fulfill these things in order to be the perfect substitute for sinners.

Sorry, now I put on my preacher hat. :)

This was one I had to memorize in Hebrew class, Psalm 1:1
    ??????????????????? ???????? ???? ??????? ????????? ??????????? ??????????? ?????????? ???? ?????? ???????????? ???????? ???? ????????
    Gosh, you mean I have to go see if I can remember the difference between Qal and Piel and dig out my BDB for this thread, now?
    Yes!!! (No idea what u just asked. Lol)
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    That makes alot more sense thanks
    James 1:3-4
    3. Knowing this , that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    4. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
    Philippians 4:19-23
    19. But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
    20. Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
    21. Salute every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren which are with me greet you.
    22. All the saints salute you, chiefly they that are of Caesar's household.
    23. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
    2 Corinthians 12:9-10
    9. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
    Bump
    Hebrews 11:1
    1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 54
    What a great thread! How did I not see this until Roland's bump?!?

I guess you might deduce from my username, this will be a thread I'll be reading!
    I think it was on page 4 or so. I dont post as often as I should. Life happens.
    Hebrews 4:16
    16. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
    Matthew 6:26
    26. Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your Heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?