Home Non Cigar Related

Car won't start...

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
...and it is now 4 degrees with the sun up. My 2001 Crown Vic has never failed me until this morning and I am not going to force it. It is cold....really really cold...if the wind kicks in we are doomed. I know it is a lot colder other places and my heart goes out to those affected.

Some one suggested we bring the gas heater inside...I don't think so....

I can't imagine what it must be like in the mid west and I hope those folks will be OK. Two days of this and it is supposed to shoot up to 40-50 degrees.

Let me ask what is probably a dumb question. You guys in the mid west who are getting the worst of this...Can you plan for weather this cold..?

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Brrrr, I hear you. It's 19 and windy here with a wind chill of -4....which in Texas lingo makes it like -200.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    The best plan is stay inside..My house is warm, there is nothing I need outside the house, call off work since that would be a dangerous commute, as long as it is just a day or two, everything will be okay. 20 below zero and strong winds making it feel like 50 below...I can't change it so I deal with it
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    Just add extra time for travel. Keep warm clothes and provisions with you everywhere, and don't go outside any more than is absolutely necessary. Hardest part is honestly keeping animals safe in this weather.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    jthanatos:
    Just add extra time for travel. Keep warm clothes and provisions with you everywhere, and don't go outside any more than is absolutely necessary. Hardest part is honestly keeping animals safe in this weather.

First check was the outside dogs, they are all OK and looking for their morning treat.

Don'y know why I haven't done it here (it will be corrected) but Where I am from I always had a 2 to 3 week supply of EM rations and first aid on hand. Some dried diet foods and MREs were the main stay. Sterno and a fondue were packed away, great for a lot of things.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Its not -20 or anything like that here... but it was after 9 that the mercury inched into the positive numbers. We have just replaced car batteries... grease up anything you can... and plug in the dogs outside water bowl. (Outside bowl is a cattle tank but with a lab puppy great investment).
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    A 75 watt lightbulb left under the hood will help with cold morning starts as will a block heater.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Block heaters in cars work best. If that doesn't work people have used heating pads, light bulbs, or start the car every 4 hours to make sure it starts in the morning.

-30 this morning. -60 wind chill. Got up and went to work like normal. Governor of MN closed schools today because of the cold. Smart move. Going to work isn't bad. Most adults can deal with it. Kids being out in this is a whole different story.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Snowing here one minute... sun shining the next... but temperature dropping like a rock... Gonna be a cold one tonite!
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    -10 to -20?? Best place is a duck blind.

BTW, we run on car fires started by "lights under the hood"