Home Non Cigar Related

Any Handloaders/Reloaders out there?

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
Aside from cigars, shooting and reloading are my other main hobbies. The range I go to has no problem with me smoking while shooting :). Just wondering? I have a basic single stage setup with electric scale, case prep center and a damn good amount of powder/primer bullet/brass. Was actually hoping someone had some pistol powder they were willing to trade for rifle powder.

Comments

• variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    Another single stage press (Lee) user here but with an analog RCBS scale. I only reload hangun ammo and my powder supplies are running low as well. The inventory situation sucks everywhere so, since you have rifle powder to spare, you may have better luck bartering with members on your local gun forum.

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    What cal pistol are you loading? I shoot a .45 and use 4 gr of clays, love the load.

I load for target, personal protection, and zombies ;) I am getting into long range shooting, 1000+ yards, so load development is key, not to many factory loads out of the box can work at that distance. I just picked up a new Browning long range with a carbon fiber stock and bull barrel, topped it with a Burris E-1 20X6-50 scope. I cannot wait for a nice day with no wind, (almost asking too much in NoCo in the winter) so I can start the long process of load development.

Let me know what powders you guys are looking for and maybe I can help you guys out.
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    firetruckguy:
    What cal pistol are you loading? I shoot a .45 and use 4 gr of clays, love the load.

I load for target, personal protection, and zombies ;) I am getting into long range shooting, 1000+ yards, so load development is key, not to many factory loads out of the box can work at that distance. I just picked up a new Browning long range with a carbon fiber stock and bull barrel, topped it with a Burris E-1 20X6-50 scope. I cannot wait for a nice day with no wind, (almost asking too much in NoCo in the winter) so I can start the long process of load development.

Let me know what powders you guys are looking for and maybe I can help you guys out.
    I load all my 9, 40 & 45 w/ Win 231 powder. I haven't been to the range in months and the 4 lbs I have left should last me for a while. Hopefully this crazy demand for ammo & reloading supplies will start to wane once people have stocked up for their armageddon prepping.

Man you're lucky that you have a place to shoot at 1,000 yards. Being in NJ and dealing with the restrictive b.s., the best I can do is shoot my long arms at 100 yards via underground 3' diameter tubes. Looking down my 1-4x scope, all I see is a small light at the end of the tunnel :/

Well... it's better than nothing I guess.

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    I reload 9,40,45,38,357 and 44mag as well as 223, 204, 308, 30-06. I have a ton of good rifle powder like benchmark(my all time #1 favorite), Varget(a damn close 2nd), more 3031 than i know what to do with, TAC, most all flavors of IMR's rifle side, WIN760 and RL10X. Dont know when i blanked out but the only pistol powder i have left is Bullseye which works with lighter bullets and is my normal 38/357 powder. I have seen online that i kinda works in 40 but the pressures i have seen associated with it are sketchy. Guess i could drag out the chrony and work up in .1 incriments. I just wish i could get some good ol' blue dot, tite-group or unique...think my father in law jacked the last of my unique. So yeah...Bullseye, any thoughts in a 40 shooting 180gr HAP bullets with cci small pistol primers?
    firetruckguy:

You may already do this the single biggest jump in accuracy i got is when i founf the sweet spot for a particular load with cartridge overall length. I got a hornady lock-n-load COAL measuring tool. It measures the amount of freebore in your particular gun (each one is off a few thousandths or so) so you can get a definitive measurements and starting tuning in your freebore or "jump" distance. I found my 204 likes 1 hundreth off the rifiling while the 308 likes a lot of jump to the tune of almot a tenth. Amazing, amazing, amazing jump in accuracy. Unless im plinking i think its almost a waste of money to buy factory rifle loads. I hate this hobby LOL.
    Im heading to Sportsmans today to pick up some mag large rifle primers (fingers crossed they have them), so Ill see if they still have some blue Dot. I will look into the COAl tool, sounds like a great way to set your bullet depth. I do it the old, (cheap) way and do a dummy case with a bullet and set it long, then put it in the chamber to see if it hits the rifling. Your way sounds much easier.

I use Clays for pistol, Varget in my 223 and 06, and im going to try some H4350 for the 300.

After Sandyhook a year ago, it was damn neer imposable to find anything for bullets, let alone reloading. I used to go to Sportsmans every Wednesday morning and stand in line to see what shipment they would get in for anything gun/bullet related. Its not to bad now, still hard to find .22lr and primers, but its getting easier to find components.
    variant2:
    firetruckguy:

I load all my 9, 40 & 45 w/ Win 231 powder. I haven't been to the range in months and the 4 lbs I have left should last me for a while. Hopefully this crazy demand for ammo & reloading supplies will start to wane once people have stocked up for their armageddon prepping.

Man you're lucky that you have a place to shoot at 1,000 yards. Being in NJ and dealing with the restrictive b.s., the best I can do is shoot my long arms at 100 yards via underground 3' diameter tubes. Looking down my 1-4x scope, all I see is a small light at the end of the tunnel :/

Well... it's better than nothing I guess.

Come for a visit bro, we have this little patch of lad called the Pawnee National Grassland that starts 20 miles from me, pretty easy to shoot as far as a gun will reach. I have a gunclub I go to that has 25 to 300yard outdoor target range, so its a great and safe place to target shoot. And yes, they are cigar friendly.........
    Cool deal man! I'm sure we can work something out, if they don't have LMR primers let me know, I can part with about 500 or so. Post sandy hook this has gotten ridiculous! This was my hobby before all that took place, shelves here are still pretty bare. Primers and powder have a 3 month waiting list but bullets are trickling in. I check gunbot a few time throughout the day as well. I won't lie though, it opened my eyes to just how fast ammo and components can run out and as much as I can I'm building a reserve stock and like to help others do the same
    Jetmech_63:
    Cool deal man! I'm sure we can work something out, if they don't have LMR primers let me know, I can part with about 500 or so. Post sandy hook this has gotten ridiculous! This was my hobby before all that took place, shelves here are still pretty bare. Primers and powder have a 3 month waiting list but bullets are trickling in. I check gunbot a few time throughout the day as well. I won't lie though, it opened my eyes to just how fast ammo and components can run out and as much as I can I'm building a reserve stock and like to help others do the same
    Sounds good, maybe we can do a primer for powder trade. I am sitting on a nice stockpile, but Ill be shooting all summer, so it will go quick. If you are looking for projectiles, let me know.
    SCOOOOOOOOOOORE! 1000 mag large rifle primers, god I love when a plan comes together!

Vinny, Ill check with my local B&M (for guns), she has a pretty good selection of powder, tell me a couple that would work for you.