Home Non Cigar Related

Verified by Visa = card blocked?

perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
So I activated this the other day because it seemed like a good idea to have a little extra protection. However, now it seems that it has locked my card down entirely! I couldn't make a purchase from an online retailer that I have many times before and then it was denied at the grocery store down the street. Funds are more than adequate for what I wanted to buy in both instances, both retailers have positive recent experiences. I emailed my credit union to ask how to shut it off so we'll see what they say. Anyone else tried this thing and had this happen?

Comments

• New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Visa verified that they broke your card? Bastards!!
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    Is this a credit card? If so, just call up customer service. I've had my card "blocked" a number of times when Mastercard thinks someone is doing an authorized purchase. Of course, they never tell you they're doing this. Just call 'em up, ask to speak to their fraud protection department, and tell them that it's okay to use these places. It's a pain, but it works.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    raisindot:
    Is this a credit card? If so, just call up customer service. I've had my card "blocked" a number of times when Mastercard thinks someone is doing an authorized purchase. Of course, they never tell you they're doing this. Just call 'em up, ask to speak to their fraud protection department, and tell them that it's okay to use these places. It's a pain, but it works.
    It's my debit card, the VISA faq says I need to talk to my issuer about it. Not a huge deal since it's not a primary account, but it's still a pisser.
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 155
    I had that on one of my cards and it was a pain in the rear; couldn't use it online, couldn't use it outside of where you lived, etc. Locked me out a few items for using Newegg, and road tripping. sure, protection is great, but boy is it aggravating. Mastercard has it too, don't use that one either.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    My bank blocks heavy fraud areas like California, Florida, etc. I just have to call and have them authorize it or they will take the blocks off permanently but I like it. No issues around town. Mostly internet sales.
    Ugh, makes me wonder if it's worth it if making a single purchase is getting as difficult as cleaning up identity theft!
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    When the wife and I went to Victoria BC, all of our cards were blocked when we went to check out of the hotel. Luckily, we were able to call American Express to unblock it.
    It was the only card we were able to get unblock, cause it was a weekend.
    We had the foresight to make sure we had enough cash with us in case we had a problem using the cards, but it was still irritating.

It seems it is common practice for them to immediately block international charges.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    When I moved here we went with Regions bank. There cards were notorious for being blocked.
    Oy, the joys of the modern world, eh?