Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Coach

webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
“The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.”

Good one, innit? You don't remember your art teacher saying that. Nor your math, English, history teacher, nor principal, nor even counselor. Even if they had said that, we wouldn't remember they said that. Coach said that... then demonstrated it. Coach we remember.

The only teacher who harnesses philosophy to action: Coach. Without a profound knowledge of human nature, of moral suasion, of exemplary inspiration, no coach can succeed; because it's not about blackboards. It's about hearts.

This is why, when we run into our old coach, even accidentally, years later, we will hustle across the venue eager to shake his hand and call him "Coach". Most girls can't understand this; most guys can.

This day and age we raise so many virtually fatherless youths that a coach is even more important. For there's a reason ba$tard is a perjorative. Without an authoritative disciplined example it's just awfully hard for a youth to straighten up and fly right. Especially in such a female dominated age as we live in, when participation is elevated above success, and everyone gets a trophy, the only man who teaches a youth how “If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives” is Coach.

“They call it coaching but it is teaching. You do not just tell them… you show them the reasons.”

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Coach sent me this yesterday:

Comments

• WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Nice hit coach! and a good read, as usual, web most.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    Your right on so many levels.

My brother in law is one of my high school football coach's. We hang out all the time now days but his name is still Coach to me. My wife's family (Coach is married to my wifes older sister) still thinks it's wierd that I call him Coach and not Brian. We have a mutual understanding and he gets it. It's just the way it is

Nice hit Coach!
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Bump for Coach. I know you've been busy. Don't want you to miss this if you get a chance to drop by the forum.
  • JMartinez10JMartinez10 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 296
    Mr. Webmost,

I did miss it and I appreciate you giving it a bump so I wouldn't. Your words are truly inspiring and appreciate you elegantly writing a piece on coaches of all sports and sorts. It's a true blessing for me to be a coach and inspiration to play a role in the lives of today's youth. I'm glad you received the package and hope you enjoy.
    On my end I'm still busy and grinding trying to land a job so prayers are much appreciated brothers. Will be checking in from time to time. Sorry that I can't be on as much as I would like to be but once things have settled I should be right back on. Miss the boards and BOTL's take care brothers.

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    I had a good coach, who was also a history teacher. His history tests were hard by school standards but I loved history and always maxed them. He would always pass out the tests and and I got mine first. By the time he passed the rest out I would be done and he would slowly walk over take it from me and whisper "I don't know why I even give a test to you". There was a reason for that, it was because he took a real interest in anyone that showed a serious interest in the class. I would during study period go to his classroom, which but for him was empty. No question would go unanswered and it got to the point we would end up discussing much more then dates and names.

On the field he was a harsh taskmaster, almost a perfectionist, with out ever pushing someone beyond their limits, no none ever left in a doctors care, and it was where I learned that I really liked hitting people..:)

I wasn't the only one who got this treatment, but you had to earn it, and you never knew you were. You earned it by having a real and honest interest in the subject. You were expected to know how to learn (like you know where the library is) , which I don't see in a lot of schools today. I was just getting out of the Army and I went to the school's last football game, it was for the championship (state-local I don't remember) and I got myself on the sidelines, he saw me, and when the first time out was called he came over and the first question out of his mouth was "what did you do with your diploma..?" I enlisted. I had quit school with but a handful of months to go (family problems) and he had literally came to my home and made it very clear that I would go back and take all the tests, and I did. H$ll knows no fury to equal that of a coach/teacher who had taken a personal interest in a student.

He was a mentor and friend, and I only tell this sappy little story because this coach in one of the 5 people who I most remember and admire. There were other teachers who were really good at their job and I was always eager to go to their classes, but I remember Coach the most.

PM me if you need a hanky.