Home Non Cigar Related

2 INCHES OF ICE and....

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
.....more is coming until it changes to snow. I guess schools will be closed and delivery's will be iffy. And so it goes....

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    jd50ae:
    .....more is coming until it changes to snow. I guess schools will be closed and delivery's will be iffy. And so it goes....

It is now 3 inches of ice. Should make for an interesting morning.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    It was 16 degrees and snowing like hell today...may have to take a personal day..
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Are you getting ice pellets/sleet or is it freezing rain? Hope You're not getting freezing rain that just coats the trees and power lines. At least sleet will bounce off the trees and fall to the ground. Down here it's just rain so far and it's still above freezing, for now.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Bob Luken:
    Are you getting ice pellets/sleet or is it freezing rain? Hope You're not getting freezing rain that just coats the trees and power lines. At least sleet will bounce off the trees and fall to the ground. Down here it's just rain so far and it's still above freezing, for now.
    We've got a mix of both. I'm about 30 miles north of JD, Drove home in it last night from work, it looks like snow on the ground, but it's really just several inches of accumulated sleet. Some of the scariest driving I've ever done, and I've driven tanks through the mountains in the dark during similar weather. Of course, in the tank your big worry is sliding off the mountain, last night my big worry was someone stopped in the middle of the road on an uphill incline, or some idiot in a 4 wheel drive who thinks that because he can still go 60mph, he should. Can't stop, though, can you? Gonna be an interesting day.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Here is an amazing wrinkle: Our mailman delivered YESTERDAY on a SUNDAY! We suppose the USPS planned on being out of commission today, the third of the month, so they took the initiative to deliver the spate of third of the month checks on Sunday.

Of course, the feds took no such initiative, so their effort was all in vain. Bearswatter gets a peewee sized SS disability check on the third; no such thing in the box. Dunno what good a check would do on a Sunday anyways.

Rain last night; then sleet; then ice; now snow. Expecting 8-10 inches. Temps dropping to one degree tonight. One. I tell you, by this point, it has got to be exhausting to be a gorebull warbling alarmist. I feel sorry for the fellows. More new preposterous excuses to devise and swallow every day. Open their front doors expecting to see new beachfront property -- instead they slip on ice. Those goalposts are a burden to be constantly moving.

Me, I'm hunkering down. Got a case of beer, firewood stacked in the garage, some good smokes, a fluffy pup, and a batch of programming projects. Only three weeks until Spring. Planning to build a smoke room out of the porch. That should be fun.

Bob Luken:

When I went to bed it was ice pellets....but the trees are covered in ice and the snow covers everything. Just guessing at 4 to 5 inches total. Nothing to worry about any where else, but this area is going crazy. I can't even imagine what it was like at the grocery stores yesterday. Sure is purty.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    The local news fear mongering was strong last week....
    Every single channel, NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC .... was predicting "12+ inches of snow and a couple inches of ice in 24 hours", saying it would be "the storm of the year", telling people to "stock up on groceries" and to expect to lose power. School & church activities scheduled for Sunday were cancelled last Friday. Employers were telling people to check their e-mails this morning to see if they had to work. News stations were saying the morning commute would be terribly slow and incredibly dangerous. Gas prices jumped $0.45 cents in one day....

What did we get?? 2 inches of snow, max. No ice. Just a whole lot of B/S from the news stations last week - to get people in a tizzy so they'd tune in and the channels could boost their ratings. Hell, most of the snow that hit the roads/sidewalks melted yesterday since the ground was warm from Sat. Half of our driveway was melted before I could get out to shovel it.

Sorry for you guys down south though who aren't used to this, hopefully it melts soon.
    webmost:

Me, I'm hunkering down. Got a case of beer, firewood stacked in the garage, some good smokes, a fluffy pup, and a batch of programming projects. Only three weeks until Spring. Planning to build a smoke room out of the porch. That should be fun.

Would love 10 inches of snow.

Yep, hunkering down, sitting with coffee and a cigar...don't get much better.
    jd50ae:
    webmost:

Would love 10 inches of snow.

Yep, hunkering down, sitting with coffee and a cigar...don't get much better.

Oh for pity's sake one of our local weather people is calling it "staggering" amounts. I guess 6 inches of snow would be catastrophic.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    went for a walk, snow/sleet atop about 2" solid ice. Sounds like walking on a snare drum
    Amos Umwhat:
    went for a walk, snow/sleet atop about 2" solid ice. Sounds like walking on a snare drum

Same here...feel taller.
    It is snowing again.
    Bob Luken:

Did you get any (snow/sleet/pellets)..?
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Ours was rain through the night but it ended and the wind blew and the roads were ok. Then it spit just a little sleet after sunrise. We just missed it. Or it missed us.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Bob Luken:
    Ours was rain through the night but it ended and the wind blew and the roads were ok. Then it spit just a little sleet after sunrise. We just missed it. Or it missed us.
    Yeah, it hit us. Wife's drive to work was treacherous. Mine cancelled.

I backed out of the driveway for the wife; that was my worst concern besides the other drivers on her commute. With our luck, she'd have hit the other vehicle on her way down the drive.

Wife also called to say she could see people spinning out in the parking lot out her window. There's a bank with a drive-through on the ground floor and people whip around the corner pretty quickly sometimes. Idiots.

I took out some garbage and the lid on the can sounded like it was about to crack. And it's not even all that cold. Wind is wicked, though. Several friends are without power or plumbing. We've avoided any of that this time around.
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    We should have put this thread under what did you get today. Ours in the Richmond area started as light rain around 7:30 changed to sleet then about 9 to snow. We just came back from a walk and it is turning to solid ice on the street. Temperature has dropped to low 20s and is supposed to be single digit tonight.