Home Non Cigar Related

The birds need help too.

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
With 3 inches of ice under the snow there is slim pickens for the birds so we set up some feeding areas (on top of our usual ones) and it took the blink of an eye for 100s of birds came to feed. Sorry for the quality of the photo.

Comments

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    lookin' good jd!
  • flowbeeflowbee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Thats awesome, put my bird feeders to shame! Nice job!!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Good job. Awesome cannon btw.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Looks like you got a whole mess of grackel or crows there!! Not my favorites, but better than nothing....hard to tell from that distance though.

I do see that beautiful cardinal in the bottom right, spotted one in our yard the other day too. Love our cardinals...
    Also saw our red-tailed hawk gliding high above the house over the weekend.
    Can't wait for warmer temps and all the birds to return.

Lookin' good JD
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Suet blocks. That's what they need in this kind of weather. Fat fat fat.

We visited a state park nature center in Indiana which had a dark room on the north side, with witness glass and a broad stone window sill. Seeds strewn on the sill. Terrific idea. came home, first thing I did was replace the garage window with that same type witness glass, mirror outside, see-thru inside. Them birdies come right up to the window two inches from your face. The cardinals get in heated discussions with the bird in the mirror.

Don't do this on the south side. You'll fry your neighbors' eyeballs.

• MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    webmost:
    Suet blocks. That's what they need in this kind of weather. Fat fat fat.

We visited a state park nature center in Indiana which had a dark room on the north side, with witness glass and a broad stone window sill. Seeds strewn on the sill. Terrific idea. came home, first thing I did was replace the garage window with that same type witness glass, mirror outside, see-thru inside. Them birdies come right up to the window two inches from your face. The cardinals get in heated discussions with the bird in the mirror.

Don't do this on the south side. You'll fry your neighbors' eyeballs.

There's several parks in IN with this arrangement for wildlife viewing. I've always thought I'd love to do it if I had the right property. Very cool you ran with it.

Concerning the OP, I tried to get a similar picture, but couldn't get the right angle from out my door, and they all flew off when I opened it. Probably the same number of birds on far less property. I thought I was in a Hitchcock film.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I always take care of the birds, they need all the help they can get when there is so much snow cover....
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    My hat is off to all you guys who watch out for the birds.

We have feeders all year long and a lot of them. The ones I enjoy the most are the hummingbird feeders because those little critters are smart. They will actually tap at the window to let you know that the nectar needs filling. They have even woke me while I was on the porch for the same reason. There is one very territorial male that forced us to add and separate the feeders. Birds are just plain fun.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    I was able to snap a few pictures of our hawk yesterday with my phone.
    (Circled in red so it's easier to see.) image

CLICK HERE for more pics.
    I took the pics with my phone so they're not the best.....

We saw a very similar looking bird last year and my wife and I were 99% sure it was a red-tailed hawk. The one I saw yesterday though was a bit smaller so I'm thinking it's a juvenile because the pattern on it's wings was the same as the hawk we saw last year, and it looked just like the "juvenile red-tailed hawk" images I found on Google.
    I need to snap some better pics or try to get video of it this summer.

But oh man, you guys probably think I'm crazy....but it was so cool.
    I watched it dive bomb a group of mourning doves in our neighbors yard then it flew right above my head as it gained altitude and headed towards the open space (parking lot/field) across the street and avoided the houses/garage/trees that were between the doves and the open space.

Wish I could have got a close up shot as it flew above me....I'm not even kidding when I say that I could have stuck my arm up and touched it....it was that close to me. It was the coolest thing.....