Home Non Cigar Related

Todays Lesson

ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 486
So a little background before i share this lesson that hit home today. I have been a server at a local iHop for the past year or so. I have served tables I loved and ones i would not serve again for a HRM. I have served exceptional people and ones who only cared for them selfs.
That being said today (3/4/14) was International Pancake day, come into any iHop and you get a free short stack (3 pancakes) for free, no purchace necessary. We were packed all day, from the time we opened to the time we closed with many of the servers working over 14 hours. This is where the lesson come in... Be thankful for what you have. I brought out over 600 pancakes, served over 100 tables and I can honestly say %80 of my tables complained about something in one way or another. Either the FREE pancakes were taking too long or the butter was not creamy enough or an entire bottle of syurp was not enough and "we need heated syurp". I could go on and on (dont even get me started on the people who wanted more free stuff).
So if you read this entire rant just take a step back and think about someone else, not everything is about ME ME ME. Not everything needs to be perfect at all times.

Comments

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    Glad you survived and hope the customers on your next shift make up for all the grumps on this one.

You're bringing up memories of "All you can eat Alaskan King Crab" night at a restaurant I worked at years ago. On that night our customers changed from generous, happy folk to miserable misers. It was so bad that staff member invented and killed-off grandmothers in order to avoid it. The smell of melted butter still sickens me.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Excellent lesson. A server/waiter's job is such an under rated and under appreciated line of work. There is one establishment we hit up every Friday. Have for the last 5 years or more. We meet up with some friends, who have been doing it for the last 20 years. The restaurant used to be at. One location. Then the owner went to jail for some type of tax fraud. It was closed, reopened in a different location. This is when we started going. Then the staff who made it what it was wanted to buy it, and couldn't, moved back to the old original location, and opened a new restaurant. But it was the same food, same staff, etc.

We've always tipped well. Me, because I like to, and my wife because she used to do it. The server we have now is the same one we've had for the last 4 years, and we've developed a good working relationship with, as well as a friendship. He comes over to our BBQs. To comedy club events we attend.this weekend we'll be going camping and him and his girlfriend will be going with.

We see him put up with a lot of sh!t. We see him get stiffed on tips at a party of 16. When we arrive, our table is already set for us. Our drinks are there waiting. Our salsa and pico sauces are already there and in huge bowls. I don't even order. He knows what I want and it's brought out after a certain amount of time goes by. Randy makes our evening there. So on behalf of Randy and us, thanks for what you do. Our typical bill there is $30. He'll get 50 from us and and keep the change. Our friends do about the same. Plus more on holidays?
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    WaltBasil:
    Excellent lesson. A server/waiter's job is such an under rated and under appreciated line of work. There is one establishment we hit up every Friday. Have for the last 5 years or more. We meet up with some friends, who have been doing it for the last 20 years. The restaurant used to be at. One location. Then the owner went to jail for some type of tax fraud. It was closed, reopened in a different location. This is when we started going. Then the staff who made it what it was wanted to buy it, and couldn't, moved back to the old original location, and opened a new restaurant. But it was the same food, same staff, etc.

We've always tipped well. Me, because I like to, and my wife because she used to do it. The server we have now is the same one we've had for the last 4 years, and we've developed a good working relationship with, as well as a friendship. He comes over to our BBQs. To comedy club events we attend.this weekend we'll be going camping and him and his girlfriend will be going with.

We see him put up with a lot of sh!t. We see him get stiffed on tips at a party of 16. When we arrive, our table is already set for us. Our drinks are there waiting. Our salsa and pico sauces are already there and in huge bowls. I don't even order. He knows what I want and it's brought out after a certain amount of time goes by. Randy makes our evening there. So on behalf of Randy and us, thanks for what you do. Our typical bill there is $30. He'll get 50 from us and and keep the change. Our friends do about the same. Plus more on holidays?
    I like to tip well, too. But dayummm. 66%. I'm callin' you high roller, big spender, boss hog, mr. generous, or some similar new nickname now. (He'd probably only have gotten 33% from me, but then again we only eat out about once a month and rotate restaurants when we do.)

Good service should be rewarded. Southern hospitality doesn't exist in the restaurant industry around Memphis for the most part...we love the few that are good about it.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 486
    The staff really can make or break a resturant... the food can be the best you have ever had at dirt cheap prices, but if you get horrible service you will never go back. I love having regulars... the second they walk in they know they are being taken care of.
    And you figure on holidays people would be a little more generous but its the oppsite. Christmas and Christmas eve was probally one of the days i make the least amount of money.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    I always tip big for good service. You would be amazed how shitty it can really be you tend to appreciate the real pro's.

Aj
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Glad you survived Shadow....

The customers who complain about *free* pancakes are the same type of folks who *expect* a free box of cigars when something goes wrong with their CCOM order......
    People like that really just rub me the wrong way.....
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Martel:
    I like to tip well, too. But dayummm. 66%. I'm callin' you high roller, big spender, boss hog, mr. generous, or some similar new nickname now. (He'd probably only have gotten 33% from me, but then again we only eat out about once a month and rotate restaurants when we do.)

Good service should be rewarded. Southern hospitality doesn't exist in the restaurant industry around Memphis for the most part...we love the few that are good about it.
    haha... no.. no high rollin here... It's not like we tip everybody like that. Most times it's about 20-25%, or $10, whichever is higher. As for Randy, we've known him for so long.. he's like family to us. Plus he goes way above and beyond for us. These guys make considerably less than minimum wage, some make nothing but tips. So I always try to make it worth their time to wait on me.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    ER nurse for years, 80% of what we did was "free", most people complain non stop. You cannot please the majority of people. I've even given my own lunch from home and had the person toss it, "I didn't care for it. Got anything else?" People!
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Yesterday was International Pancake Day... and you didn't tell us?????

Seriously, though... People have always been selfish and rude, but it seems like it's getting worse. Glad you survived the ordeal. Now, how 'bout sending us all a coupon for a free short stack? LOL
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 486
    Ill have to see about that coupon ;)

But there was this one table 2 adults and 2 kids. They ordered some drinks and 2 sides of fries, so the total came to like $6. About 20 min later i noticed they still had not gotten the pancakes or fries so i asked the cooks about it. Long story short they had lost the ticket but it was pancakes so it took less than 3 min to get everything out.
    I went and told the table and explained what happned and they asked if they could get it to go, so i told them sure. (and here is the part that gets me) they asked to talk to a manager (who was in the back cooking) and they complained to the point that they got the drinks and fries for free, and 2 min later all the food in boxes and bags proceded to tell me they were just going to eat at the resturant and "we need more than one cup of ranch".
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    This post is the reason I don't attend any "free/discounted" events, I wont even go out on black Friday, if I happen to be doing something and get a break on it Great, but every time I have been around an "event" that is like whats on this post, people around me sicken me, I will pay full price or go without before I get involved,
    If its for a purpose that I agree with I will just donate what I can without being apart of the event
    If I am able to "go out" I wont even think about it if I cant give 20% over the bill
    (mind you I'm not wealthy at all, and coupons/online sales are my friend-I live on an extremely small disability budget with my wife and 2 kids at home-so the go without part happens most lol)
    I have all respect for you Servers, I have never been a server, but have been in customer service all my life, between being a contractor (selling myself and my work) and working almost every construction related retail job you can think of, I've seen so many good people I've worked with/known almost always at there worst when getting a "Deal" even people that I had no idea would be like that
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I've never had a job that was tip based such as a restaurant server. But, my daughter has, and relayed so many stories of bad customers, that whenever a young kid serves me I place my daughter in their place.. I know they work hard and have other people to take care of beside me, and if I am dining out a few extra dollars tip is never going to break me.. I tip very well even for what some may consider average service. The person serving me is doing a difficult job for minimum wage and deserves to be treated well while doing this job. I never give a server a hard time, they are of course going to bring me food.. I want it to be a good experience for all of us.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    I don't know why people have not learned the lesson of not pissing off the people who handle their food. I know the vast majority of servers would never tamper with food, but there's always gonna be that one...

I am also a firm believer in the adage "If you're nice to me but rude to the waiter/waitress you're not a nice person." Had a first date two weeks ago that went this way, this woman was just plain nasty to our server who really did a great job. This woman even took the receipt from me, crossed out the tip I put down and wrote something else. Pissed. Me. Off. So rather than cause a scene I "forgot my phone" and went back and apologized to the server, put the correct tip and then some back on the receipt. Dropped the woman off and told her based on her treatment of the server I was entirely uninterested in seeing her again. Worst part? She didn't see anything wrong with her behavior.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Yum, iHOP.

It always amazes me when people complain about free stuff.
    When I'm out of town, the hotel gives a voucher for breakfast at the diner next to it. Even though the breakfast is free, I leave a tip.
    If the service is great, I leave a good tip.
    I figure that if they go out of there way for me on a free meal, they earned a good tip.

We stopped at a restaurant in Portland with about 15 of my family. It was hectic and the gal who waited on us was on top of everything. Making sure everything was taken care of, clean and ready.
    The bill was considerable and the tip was far more than I would have usually left.
    Plus my brother and sons left tips on the table. Hopefully, she was really smiling at the end of her day.

So hopefully, the understanding people will outweigh the jerks.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    jgibv:
    Glad you survived Shadow....

The customers who complain about *free* pancakes are the same type of folks who *expect* a free box of cigars when something goes wrong with their CCOM order......
    People like that really just rub me the wrong way.....
    Bbbwwwaaaahhhh!
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Im sorry to hear about your rough day. I was a busser but never had the patience to be a server. My hat is off to you. I hope karma shifts and things go your way.

I recently ordered my favorite breakfast - Chilaquiles with 3 over easy eggs (3rd egg is extra). First time I got two eggs and they were over hard. Didn't say anything but Gina noticed and took the plate. Second plate had three eggs and they were still over hard but on a separate plate. She stood there and waited and saw they were still wrong. I starting eating and I get my eggs finally and it turns out the over-hards were for someone else. I wasn't mad and told her not to worry about it. I'm easy going but she comped me my meal without even telling me. I think she got a 60% tip that day.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    Wow is all i can say! No idea how one would feel justified in complaining about something for free....even my 9 year old knows that!

Here is the crazy thing! I had this exact conversation with my son last night. Basically, a new 'pita pit' restaurant was opening up and they brought a free platter to the arena as 'samples' for people to try. I explained to my son that the workers were likely learning how to make all the different pita's before they opened, and i bet they just decided to give some of the nicest looking ones away for free to promote the place (along with a coupon for a freebie) and not be wasteful. I suggested that they might not be perfect looking as they were learning to make them just right, but then again you are not paying for them so whatever, they would taste the same.'
    He then said 'that's really nice of them.....but how could someone complain about something nice they got for free...they cant do that...that isnt right! '

So after reading this post, I still dont have an answer to that question either.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    But it reminds me to say to my kids that they should recognize good service. They HATE writing thank you notes, but back in the day, my employees performed better when we told them they were appreciated by customers. In fact, I'm going to go write a letter to McAllister's Deli right now so I can tell them about good service we received.
  • joremajorema Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 40
    Morels and manors seem to be a thing of the past.
    Just a figment in the minds of folks today in all actuality.
    I would have been grateful, just so you know that some still have politeness left over from memories of the distant past.
    Ah, what I wouldn't give for the day's of my youth when folks were friendly and doors were left unlocked at night.
    With a loaded shotgun by the bed of course, just in case a "fox" got in the "henhouse" so to speak.