Home Cigar 101

Acronyms & Abbreviations Thread (A&A Thread) Useful terms listed also.

2»

Comments

• MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    MorganGeo:
    Rain:
    MorganGeo:
    What does it mean when one posts 'Necro' thread. Or something like that... It's usually something faggoty that Rain does. LMBO. ;)
    Rude!!!! It means that the last post was a while ago. If I want to talk about the retro, I'll search retro. A thread with good info comes up but was last posted on in 2009. I'll say "Necro" which is probably short for Dungeons and Dragons Necromancy which involves bringing back/controlling the undead. :)
    Your just fun to mess with. haha
    Necro is simply a prefix from the Greek meaning "death" or "dead". So a Necro thread is one that was pretty much dead, but you revived it. It's used to warn readers not to respond to items discussed like they're current. For instance, on the Lancero day thread, if I didn't notice it was from a year ago, I might reply to the conversation like it was recent and come off as a douche. A "necro" warning alerts me to the fact that what came before is old.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    ^^^No, we've already established it's D&D related :)
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664

Bump. I've been editing and adding a few things to the list and if anyone's got some additional suggestions for the list, or want to correct my spelling, kiss my ass please just let me know.

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Hahahah, necrobump.
    Ken Light:
    Hahahah, necrobump.
    Roll a percentile for spell failure. That's what you get for multiclassing.
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    Hahahah, necrobump.
    What? Oh. It's that D&D *** again. Isn't it? (<--- Rhetorical question.)
    Rain:
    Ken Light:
    Hahahah, necrobump.
    I always roll 1.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    There's a new one to add... The acronym is RAIN and it means ThreadJacker3000
    That's obviously Boots.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Rain:
    That's obviously Boots.
    Bice try threadjacker3000 was here long before Boots ;)
    ...which means?
    Bump for Big''nBall''n. Plus if there's any new terms y'all got in mind,..........
    Premipremiprems
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Rain:
    Premipremiprems
    Lovin' my new humidor!
    90+ Irishman:
    There's a new one to add... The acronym is RAIN and it means ThreadJacker3000
    Acronyms have to use their letter to spell things. Like Random And Incoherent Ne'erdowell.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    Bob Luken:
    Bump for Big''nBall''n. Plus if there's any new terms y'all got in mind,..........

Thanks Bob
    What about SC for Spanish cedar? I noticed some guys using this lately.
    Bob Luken:
    What about SC for Spanish cedar? I noticed some guys using this lately.
    Also today I saw somebody write Nic tobacco referring to Nicaraguan Tobacco. Do I really need to add these to the list or are these not widely used? I'm leaning towards not adding them but, whatever.
    And are we trying too hard to "anachronize" and abbreviate words for some reason. Are you a cooler dude if you use DPG instead of spelling out the whole name Don Pepin Garcia or are we just lazy? I'm bored.
    Lazy...or as I like to think, efficient. 25 y/o adm c/o nvd x 24 hrs....or write out 25 year old active duty male complains of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hours.
    Rain:
    Lazy...or as I like to think, efficient. 25 y/o adm c/o nvd x 24 hrs....or write out 25 year old active duty male complains of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hours.
    I get it. That's very efficient. But, your example is for use among a group of medical professional who all know the terminology/abbreviation. Here on the forum not everyone (Myself included) is entirely up to speed on the cigar lingo that all the cool kids use. We pride ourselves here on educating ourselves and each other, especially newbs, Right? So who does the shortened term DPG serve? Not the newest of newbs. I often use the complete terminology/spelling deliberately so new new newbs don't feel excluded just because they don't know the lingo yet.

Obviously, I'm still bored.
    I imagine through the context used, google and the search function most of it can be figured out. Who wants to type out Don Pepin Garcia and Abdel J Fernandez? Not I. Like any other hobby/field, you have no idea when you start...you learn as you go.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739