Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

May 2014 guess my CC challenge.

2»

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    #4 is Cohiba Pirámides Extra?

It looks awesome #2 is a Bolivar Coronas Gigantes?

I don't smoke many CC's so lets keep in mind all of my guesses are going to be "educated"
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Yes on #4. Close on #2. Really, really close. Marca is wrong.
    No freebie from last night.

Had one of these about a month ago sitting on a friends back porch watching college hockey through the window. I really enjoyed it. Could have been the first break in the weather (it was windy and 45 but felt like 65 after our terrible winter this year), could have been sitting with a good friend after not having a cigar together for a while, could be anything. I was eager to revisit it after 7 hours of flying and driving to get home from vacation. Poured some Old Heaven Hill 8 year bourbon and relaxed in a 50 degree garage.
    Prelight was toast and nuts. Strong prelight smell hinting to a strong and flavorful cigar.
    First third was straight up cashews, lots and lots of them. Nothing else I can pick out from the cigar. They were that strong.
    Second third was more cashews. Can’t say much more than that because I can’t.
    Third third straight up cashews with cashews on the side. Like the cashews curbstomped any other flavor that might have been there before. Total gang war turf takeover.
    I will give this cigar an 82/100. I didn’t find the cigar revolting but I hope it develops more over time. Cashews are nice as a compliment with other flavors but pure cashew isn’t my bag. Did not taste the same as the other one a month ago. Different year maybe. Far as I know it was a special release one year then produced a couple more years since. Cuba being Cuba who knows. Since I ordered another box before this cigar it will be easy to let them rest another couple years.
    Marker:
    How many guesses?
    Every hint you can throw another guess.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Marker:
    Ahhh, is it the Ramon Allones Gigantes?
    perkinke:
    Marker:
    Ahhh, is it the Ramon Allones Gigantes?
    Correct. You win the cupie doll.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Woo! I think catfish said that is just about the best of the RA's.
    perkinke:
    Woo! I think catfish said that is just about the best of the RA's.
    My favorite RA is still the small club corona but this cigar is what lead me to try them. The first few RASS I tried were boring and offered nothing I wanted in a cigar. Could have been needing age or bad sticks. Who knows? I tried quite a few before I got a RAG then I knew why people liked the marca. After that it has become my third favorite. Their regional editions have been good enough to keep an eye out for and keeps me interested in Ramon Allones.

Time to get this one out of the way, shall we? This is my least favorite CC marca, by a large margin. Quintero is a cigar I would take over this local brand any day, twice on Sunday. People like them. Taste is subjective. I get that. This marca just isn’t for me. If it was the only cigar available on a deserted island I would smoke it. Might grow on me, might not. Either way I love the hobby enough to keep trying. Generous friends send me them once in a while in trades, bombs, what have you. So I respect the thought and light them up. Hoping each time there is a revelation within the brand. Prelight is dry, dry oak and spice. I poured an extra helping of Old Heaven Hill for this one. Draw is tight and probably needs to be fixed. Will check it after lighting and see where the problem lies. Should maybe do the fridge trick but it is later than I would like to wait and I have the tools ready if needed.
    First third is dry and leaves the palate wanting a drink. There is oak, spice, touch of hay. A promising touch of hay to give me hope for a future. The draw needs to be fixed so I use a set of tools given to me by a local cigar friend. Harbor freight has a nice Pittsburg pick set that works well for nubbers and draw fixers, picture to follow.

Second third is still very dry. Something that puts me off from a cigar perspective. I don’t mind a little dry. I do mind a lot dry. The hay is coming in nicely to compliment and surpass the oak taste. A relight is needed but that might be from only having the cigar a few weeks.
    Third third is coming in wonderfully with the hay coming front and the spice backing off almost completely . It is less dry and opening my eyes for some potential in the brand. Another draw fix is in order but luckily it doesn’t ruin the cigar by exploding the wrapper or mutilating the head. A couple more relights but I am using matches to make sure it doesn’t get too hot.
    Overall I would give this a 75/100. The first third+ was still the same taste that is hard for me to enjoy. I would not pitch it for a couple reasons. It is CC May and I need to finish the cigar. It had some potential coming in the last half that will lead to me trying another if the opportunity is there. I would kick it out of the bed for eating crackers but let it back in if it cleaned up the mess and said it was sorry.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,533
    Marker:

Time to get this one out of the way, shall we? This is my least favorite CC marca, by a large margin. Quintero is a cigar I would take over this local brand any day, twice on Sunday. People like them. Taste is subjective. I get that. This marca just isn’t for me. If it was the only cigar available on a deserted island I would smoke it. Might grow on me, might not. Either way I love the hobby enough to keep trying. Generous friends send me them once in a while in trades, bombs, what have you. So I respect the thought and light them up. Hoping each time there is a revelation within the brand. Prelight is dry, dry oak and spice. I poured an extra helping of Old Heaven Hill for this one. Draw is tight and probably needs to be fixed. Will check it after lighting and see where the problem lies. Should maybe do the fridge trick but it is later than I would like to wait and I have the tools ready if needed.
    First third is dry and leaves the palate wanting a drink. There is oak, spice, touch of hay. A promising touch of hay to give me hope for a future. The draw needs to be fixed so I use a set of tools given to me by a local cigar friend. Harbor freight has a nice Pittsburg pick set that works well for nubbers and draw fixers, picture to follow.

Second third is still very dry. Something that puts me off from a cigar perspective. I don’t mind a little dry. I do mind a lot dry. The hay is coming in nicely to compliment and surpass the oak taste. A relight is needed but that might be from only having the cigar a few weeks.
    Third third is coming in wonderfully with the hay coming front and the spice backing off almost completely . It is less dry and opening my eyes for some potential in the brand. Another draw fix is in order but luckily it doesn’t ruin the cigar by exploding the wrapper or mutilating the head. A couple more relights but I am using matches to make sure it doesn’t get too hot.
    Overall I would give this a 75/100. The first third+ was still the same taste that is hard for me to enjoy. I would not pitch it for a couple reasons. It is CC May and I need to finish the cigar. It had some potential coming in the last half that will lead to me trying another if the opportunity is there. I would kick it out of the bed for eating crackers but let it back in if it cleaned up the mess and said it was sorry.
    hmmm..... juan lopez no#2?
    CC#5 is a double banded cigar but not a RE or EL.
    Marker:
    CC#5 is a double banded cigar but not a RE or EL.
    H. Uppman Mag 50?

Never had one of these marca before that I can remember. Maybe it wasn’t memorable or I just plain have not had one. Set up a vherf with a friend of mine over google chat. It is amazing that you can have a cigar with someone thousands of miles away, in real time, for free. Twenty years ago people still had cell phones with bags and cords attached. The reception was spotty. There was no texting. Online chat services were just getting started. People still had floppy disks. Real, floppy, discs. We lost our lounge a couple years ago to overzealous smoking bans. It was the most brutal smoking ban put in place that the time. No smoking indoors, period. Also you could not smoke within 20 feet of a doorway. My garage because more hospitable and having a cigar with the old crew at the lounge died. But here I am smoking a cigar with a good friend on a video feed covering thousands of miles instantly. The world is an amazing place. Just ask Louis CK.
    Prelight is very earthy. There is a sweetness I cannot place. This cigar has intentions of being very strong in flavor.
    First third is earth, peat and a sweet tinge I am trying to figure out. My buddy on vherf knows it but I am trying to figure it out on my own. It is not fruity like an SLR or Mag46. It is not flowery either. Harder to pick out flavors while carrying on a full conversation.
    Second third is rich and dark. There is earth, licorice (I think) and a little cuban twang to it. I was surprised to remember this cigar was discontinued. Probably because they were dang good and really inexpensive. Seems Cuba loves doing that. If my QdO coronas are next I will stage a revolt.
    Third third is killing me to know the sweet part I am tasting. Friend on vherf asks me if I am tasting raisins in the cigar. Boom. That was what I was missing. Not really fruity but definitely sweet. Starting to get a little bitter but not harsh. A great little cigar for the money and I wish I could still find them.
    Giving this a 88/100. There are other cigars I would smoke before this one but for the price before the axe I can’t see much else beating it. There wasn’t any complexity probably because of the earthy overtones but it didn’t put me off. Really enjoyed the cigar and the time I had with a good friend while smoking it.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    Marker:

Never had one of these marca before that I can remember. Maybe it wasn’t memorable or I just plain have not had one. Set up a vherf with a friend of mine over google chat. It is amazing that you can have a cigar with someone thousands of miles away, in real time, for free. Twenty years ago people still had cell phones with bags and cords attached. The reception was spotty. There was no texting. Online chat services were just getting started. People still had floppy disks. Real, floppy, discs. We lost our lounge a couple years ago to overzealous smoking bans. It was the most brutal smoking ban put in place that the time. No smoking indoors, period. Also you could not smoke within 20 feet of a doorway. My garage because more hospitable and having a cigar with the old crew at the lounge died. But here I am smoking a cigar with a good friend on a video feed covering thousands of miles instantly. The world is an amazing place. Just ask Louis CK.
    Prelight is very earthy. There is a sweetness I cannot place. This cigar has intentions of being very strong in flavor.
    First third is earth, peat and a sweet tinge I am trying to figure out. My buddy on vherf knows it but I am trying to figure it out on my own. It is not fruity like an SLR or Mag46. It is not flowery either. Harder to pick out flavors while carrying on a full conversation.
    Second third is rich and dark. There is earth, licorice (I think) and a little cuban twang to it. I was surprised to remember this cigar was discontinued. Probably because they were dang good and really inexpensive. Seems Cuba loves doing that. If my QdO coronas are next I will stage a revolt.
    Third third is killing me to know the sweet part I am tasting. Friend on vherf asks me if I am tasting raisins in the cigar. Boom. That was what I was missing. Not really fruity but definitely sweet. Starting to get a little bitter but not harsh. A great little cigar for the money and I wish I could still find them.
    Giving this a 88/100. There are other cigars I would smoke before this one but for the price before the axe I can’t see much else beating it. There wasn’t any complexity probably because of the earthy overtones but it didn’t put me off. Really enjoyed the cigar and the time I had with a good friend while smoking it.
    Diplomáticos No.4???
    Nope Tony but a great guess. Larger cigar than that and has a two word marca name.