Home Non Cigar Related

+++He is home+++ after surgery...to have an eye removed.

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
This poor guy has been through so much, from being thrown into the Obion River from a moving car, to a snake bite, and a tick infestation so bad he all most died, he still has seizures. That is when he became a house dog. He does not bark or growl, and is so gentle you would think his life was all kindness and love. The absolutely most graceful dog walking or running, always with his head up and looking straight ahead. A couple of days ago he either scratched his eye or was stung, and it really got bad overnight, not a whimper out of the old boy. We were going to wait for the vet until next week when I get my SS, but the eye was starting to swell to the point it was obvious it was going to burst. So, my wife's mother came through with her SS and (I really love the lady) the surgery is this afternoon. The vet says he should be home Monday afternoon. I really love my dogs and I am not ashamed to say this has brought me close to tears. Not a single whimper...they are amazing. I wish I had a better picture..

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Christ good luck man that's ashame!
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 843
    I hope that River comes through the surgery a happy puppy and is back to his old self quickly. It is amazing what dogs can go through and not really "complain" about it. I understand your love of your dogs. My wife and I are dog people and they become our children.

Rob
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Hope that he pulls through ok, praying for him and yall.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Hope he does OK through the surgery.
  • RedRex06RedRex06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 155
    Hoping for the best for River! Its not easy having to deal with that stuff.
  • Tyland64Tyland64 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 714
    Very sorry to hear about River. He has you on his side and that is great. I was once told that how we love our pets is a expression of our heart and soul. This post tells us that you have a great heart and soul.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    Sounds like he's a pretty tough guy though, hopin' he comes through. Labs and lab mixes almost always seem to be great animals.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    Beautiful dog. Hope he's doing okay.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Thanks guys...people who have dogs do understand. And I don't mean people who have never had a dog aren't caring and sympathetic, its just having them as part of the family can be so rewarding.

UPDATE

Call from the vets and the big guy is doing fine, no complications from the surgery. Now I am just waiting for him to come home.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Great news! River is a beautiful dog, very proud and strong.
    I can't believe that I have not thought of this before. What do you think...Vanilla or strawberry..? Neapolitan was the 1st flavor I thought of, but can't give a dog chocolate. There will definitely be a cheeseburger....
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    Just head this brother,was a little heart aching but so glad to hear he's doing well!! I know my dogs are like my children!we went thru something with my dog Gus last year and the thought of losing my buddy or seeing him in pain bought me to tears in the vets er.so glad he is doing well!!! Thoughts and prayers for you brother!!
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    I hope everything goes well for River. Dogs are amazingly adaptable. I'm sure he will do fine after the surgery. Good luck to all.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    jd50ae:
    I can't believe that I have not thought of this before. What do you think...Vanilla or strawberry..? Neapolitan was the 1st flavor I thought of, but can't give a dog chocolate. There will definitely be a cheeseburger....
    Glad to hear he's ok. We are lucky to have such great veterinarians in this country. And definitely vanilla
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    the noble Labrador
    say no more

• YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I'm glad he's going to be OK. You've rescued him twice now and he'll love you forever!

The big guy is home and he is all wagging tale and smiles. No hamburger..I went for sausage he really loves and there will be ice cream tonight. The way he is acting you would never know he had an eye removed...I am so glad he is OK and back home.

Evidently he was kenneled with all mature females and even though he has had that operation he showed some "surprising" energy. The vet did say he was a perfect gentleman, in between giggles. No pain or discomfort at all and he is right back to normal, after hugs and rubs all around. Yahoo....now for a good cigar and an ice tea.
    To everyone who responded with such kind words, River and I thank you. Especially River, as he now sleeps on my bed, after a very large order of his favorite sausage (mine too).
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Glad he is doing alright man.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Good to hear he's doing so well.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 808
    I am glad to hear that all is well with river, I love dogs and my nephews name is river so this one hit home. Again glad all is well.