Home Non Cigar Related

men and their pride

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
Last night we went to the bar. Late in the night a guy that was obviously homeless came in and sat down to watch kerioke and have a place to stay for awhile. After confirming with the bartenders that my hunch was correct I went and sat down by him, asking him if he would like a beer and a new jacket as his was pretty toar up. Thinking he would say yes...he threw me for a surprise and said no thank you, I don't ask for or take anything I have not earned. I told him I respect that to the up most degree but everyone needs help sometimes. Took my jacket off and laid it on the table and said have a good night. 5 minutes later he came over and set the jacket next to me and said god bless you and your family bit I can't accept this.
I said OK sir I understand that...and he went and sat back down. Soon after the bartender said she buys him food from time to time and she has to force him to take it. So I Gave her 20 dollars and she made him a pizza and will do the same tomorrow. I left feeling happy for this person..even though he was homeless and down on his luck he sstill had his pride and did not expect anything from anyone except himself.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    God bless you, Shane. You made an incredibly generous gesture and for that I'm proud to call you my friend.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Good on you. More of us should take the time and notice what is around us. Don't know why, but I am not surprised that a member of this forum would do what you did.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Toombes:
    God bless you, Shane. You made an incredibly generous gesture and for that I'm proud to call you my friend.
    Amen!
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    roland_7707:
    Toombes:
    Amen!
    I don't feel it was generous. I feel it was being human.
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    deejmemixx:
    roland_7707:
    Toombes:
    Amen!
    I wish you were right, but I have to go with generous. It's a hard population to work with, striking the balance the way you did between helping but also preserving their dignity is a hard thing to do. Deserves something better than "Way to go," but way to go. :)
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    And then I think about all of the other people there who didnt talk to him or try and help. So, yes you were binng human, but you also have a big heart.

Thank you for sharing sir.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Nicely done Deej... the exact population I will be working with when I start my internship.
    roland_7707:
    And then I think about all of the other people there who didnt talk to him or try and help. So, yes you were binng human, but you also have a big heart.

Thank you for sharing sir.
    I only wish my kids were there so they could see how people who have hardships should be treated
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Thanks for sharing this, Shane. I know you don't think you were doing anything remarkable, but the vast majority of people would have ignored this man altogether, or gone out of their way to avoid having any contact with him. Even those who made a first attempt to offer help would have moved on after the first attempt was declined. You demonstrated kindness and compassion, as well as respect for his sense of dignity and self-reliance. Sad as it may be, your response is the exception rather than the rule, and it is a great example for others to emulate. God bless you, sir.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    deejmemixx:
    roland_7707:
    Toombes:
    Amen!
    I feel we we're put on this earth to help each other. Plain and simple. You sir are the man.
  • Aland84Aland84 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 60
    That was a nice gesture. It's hard for me these days to make that move. I've had so many ask for hand outs and I know a lot will buys the exact opposite of what they need, but one time a guy started to chat me up and we were about to part ways and he asked "hey man do you mind givig me a few bucks so I can buy a beer?" I gave him a few bucks for his honesty.
    Aland84:
    That was a nice gesture. It's hard for me these days to make that move. I've had so many ask for hand outs and I know a lot will buys the exact opposite of what they need, but one time a guy started to chat me up and we were about to part ways and he asked "hey man do you mind givig me a few bucks so I can buy a beer?" I gave him a few bucks for his honesty.
    honesty goes. Long way.