Home Cigar 101

Well I did a boveda test

2»

Comments

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    youngryan216:
    Bob, do you date stamp everything? Hahaha

Good info here, I didn't know you could recharge them. I thought they were filled with a PG based solution and mixing that and distilled water was a big no-no. You guys are saying it's a distilled water based solution inside bovedas?
    Not everything. Milk and bread already comes with a date stamp ;)

I'm not claiming to know what's inside the bovedas. If you want specifics from me, I'll tell you there's a lot of guessing involved. I guess the Boveda is designed to absorb moisture if the RH is above above the specific RH rating of the boveda. I'm guessing this is why they plump back up. I'm guessing that these recharged ones work as well as the new ones. I have not conducted any tests yet, but they seem to work OK,.......I guess.
    UPDATE: Bamboo will mold if you leave it in there long enough. Sorry, I should have taken pics but I just tossed it.
    Bob Luken:
    rsherman24:
    That is a lot of work. I use a container like below. Cut a piece of wire mesh to fit, pour an inch of distilled water in and put the lid on. Packs are recharged and better than new in a couple days. Not sure why putting them over the water works better, but I have tried other ways and this works best and is super simple.

That is a nice set up Sherm. For mine I use bamboo skewers to create a platform that would perform the same function as your wire mesh.

UPDATE: The bamboo got MOLDY. I guess it's OK for short term but it will set up mold eventually. Better off with a plastic or metal set up like Sherman's.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    why bother with a mesh or sticks or anything? I just place mine in the bottom and cover with distilled water. Or the new method that Chuck Norris taught me, Just drop into boiling water until fat.

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    why bother with a mesh or sticks or anything? I just place mine in the bottom and cover with distilled water. Or the new method that Chuck Norris taught me, Just drop into boiling water until fat.

Aj
    Well, I guess I'm just taking a slow and easy approach. I'm asking it to do what it was made to do. It's trying to reduce the RH Inside the Tupperware by absorbing moisture. I don't know if dunking them or boiling them causes any changes in the permeable membrane. Probably not, but I figure with the dry method I'm almost certain that I'm not altering anything.