Home Non Cigar Related

Helping People is Never a Waste of Time

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
The other day I held an evening appointment with a couple I had never met. They've been policy holders for years, but haven't seen or heard from an agent for ages. When I took over the agency two years ago, I made a commitment to reach out to everyone and meet them face-to-face. It's been no small challenge, but I'm kind of old school and naïve enough to believe that business should be personal. Often, this means taking time to meet with folks just to review old policies and let them know they have an agent they can contact if they need anything. Often, there is no immediate opportunity for new business, but it's the right thing to do, so I block out the time and go do it.

This couple had braced themselves for a visit from a "salesman." They were surprised when I didn't try to sell them something, and said they appreciated that because they had no money to invest and lived on their social security checks. We talked about that, and when they told me how much their checks were, I noted that she had not been advised that she was eligible to file for a spousal benefit because her own benefit was significantly less than her husband's. I explained that to her and recommended that she call the social security office to inquire about it. They thanked me for coming by, and I left.

Today, the wife left me a voice mail. With palpable joy in her voice, she said she had called the social security office as I suggested, and was told that she is eligible for a spousal benefit, and will be receiving an increase in her monthly check. A small increase in monthly income will make a big difference for this couple, and that voicemail meant more than any commission I might have made from a sale.

Some folks would have counted that appointment as a waste of time, but for me it was a validation that real success is not measured in sales and commissions, but in making a difference in people's lives. Just wanted to share that, because it made my day, and maybe it will encourage someone who reads it.

Comments