Home Non Cigar Related

Frontline: United States of Secrets

jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
Has anyone else watched this yet?
I missed it on TV when it originally aired a couple weeks ago but just finished "Part One - The Program".

If you haven't been following the NSA/Snowden developments, or don't know "what the big deal is"...watch this.
This program "tells the inside story of the U.S. government’s massive and controversial secret surveillance program—and the lengths they went to trying to keep it hidden from the public."

Very interesting stuff. Scary the lengths the gov't went through to try and keep this all from getting out.

The 24/7 news channels have done a pretty good job of cluttering the airwaves and put the illegal NSA Spying scandal out of our minds.
This topic should not be forgot about so quickly.

------------------------------

United States of Secrets

Watch Part 1 and Part 2, in Full, here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/#part-one---the-program

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    jgibv:
    Has anyone else watched this yet?
    I missed it on TV when it originally aired a couple weeks ago but just finished "Part One - The Program".

If you haven't been following the NSA/Snowden developments, or don't know "what the big deal is"...watch this.
    This program "tells the inside story of the U.S. government’s massive and controversial secret surveillance program—and the lengths they went to trying to keep it hidden from the public."

Very interesting stuff. Scary the lengths the gov't went through to try and keep this all from getting out.

The 24/7 news channels have done a pretty good job of cluttering the airwaves and put the illegal NSA Spying scandal out of our minds.
    This topic should not be forgot about so quickly.

------------------------------

United States of Secrets

Watch Part 1 and Part 2, in Full, here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/#part-one---the-program

Thanks for posting this.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Caught this when it aired. My wife and I were getting ready for bed and this came on when were about to shut off the TV. It was downright enthralling and scary as ***. We couldn't stop watching it. Thanks for the link I'm going to watch it again.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Hey John thanks for the link, Ill be sure to watch it, I remember when you posted regarding the new data center the NSA was building. WIRED: The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

Curious did they cover this in the program
  • bert873bert873 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 854
    Thanks for the share. I'll definitely be checking this out, I love shows like this.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    The Kid:
    Hey John thanks for the link, Ill be sure to watch it, I remember when you posted regarding the new data center the NSA was building. WIRED: The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

Curious did they cover this in the program
    I don't remember them specifically talking about that data center....but I was multi-tasking and just listening to the audio for a couple parts so could have missed it. Just said how they were collecting oodles of data and verizon turned over private info, etc.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    This is a marvelous and thorough piece, though painfully slow-paced. I watched part one last night. Budget a couple of hours and pay attention.

“You cannot be strong outside if you are weak inside. You have to defend your own principles in order to be able to fight for acceptance of your principles in other places in the world…. The question of the protection of our liberties and our freedom is the basis upon which this country remains strong.”
    Bella Abzug

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Thanks again John, watched the first part last night, Never ceases to amaze me what happens behind the scenes. Will watch part two soon.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    webmost:
    This is a marvelous and thorough piece, though painfully slow-paced. I watched part one last night. Budget a couple of hours and pay attention.
    Agree. Very well done, but lots of info so there's a need for a slower pace.
    The Kid:
    Thanks again John, watched the first part last night, Never ceases to amaze me what happens behind the scenes. Will watch part two soon.
    Welcome. I watched part 2 yesterday.
    Talked some more about how the NSA was collecting all this and what info they were gathering.
    Then talked about how/why this managed to remain a secret for so long. And the companies responses to the public backlash when everything was leaked.