Home General Discussion

Save our Cigars!

slamb@cigar.comslamb@cigar.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232

Gents,
If you have not seen this as of yet, please visit this link and do your duty! http://www.cigar.com/legislation/index.asp?scSlide=2

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    slamb@cigar.com:

Gents,
    If you have not seen this as of yet, please visit this link and do your duty! http://www.cigar.com/legislation/index.asp?scSlide=2

Who is the idiot that started this..?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    jd50ae:
    slamb@cigar.com:

Gents,

Who is the idiot that started this..?
    Holy crap. In one fell swoop, US cigar prices will be on par with Canada. And Canada's government is VERY tax-heavy (ex AF Curly head is 2 or 3 dollars MSRP in US. It's 10 in Canada).
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Where's the letter that says "I don't care if it's premium or not -- keep you cotton pickin nose outta my own damn business!" That's the letter I want to sign. Otherwise, all you do is compromise your way to totalitarianism one baby step at a time.
    webmost:
    Where's the letter that says "I don't care if it's premium or not -- keep you cotton pickin nose outta my own damn business!".
    +1. Where's the letter to abolish the law giving the FDA jurisdiction over all tobacco products?
  • slamb@cigar.comslamb@cigar.com Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 232
    @webmost...Write the letter and send it, you can really put whatever you want in the field, so you do not have to use our template; we just have it as a starting guide.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,606
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    slamb@cigar.com:
    @webmost...Write the letter and send it, you can really put whatever you want in the field, so you do not have to use our template; we just have it as a starting guide.
    in addition to the letter provided by ccom i added this:

I have the right to do as i choose so long as i do not violate the rights of others. consuming cigars violates the rights of nobody, but does, in fact create jobs for millions of people in this country around the world. any artificial price increase via taxation in cigars and cigar related product hurts the lives of those in the industry. many of these families have relied on the cigar industry for generations and the sharp push down in sales due to higher taxation could lead to extreme poverty and starvation.

this nation was founded on the right for individuals to make decisions for themselves about what is good for them, not for a dominant government to make these choices for them by pricing goods out of reach of the common man.

though the tyrannical government we have had for quite some time now probably wont listen.
    its disgusting what they are doing to the rights of the individual.
    You guys rock! Keep it up and we'll make sure our voices are heard, please pass the link along to family and friends, we need your support!
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 525
    Done - me
    Done - wife
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    I already submitted a letter FDA about this over a month ago, but I really like the wording of the Ccom template (and Kuzi's addition). Can we submit comments more than once?
    Bump to keep this on top.
    You can send letters until your hands fall off, there is no limit to how many letters you can send the Government. Remember, they work for us.
    slamb@cigar.com:
    You can send letters until your hands fall off, there is no limit to how many letters you can send the Government. Remember, they work for us.

They use to work for us.....that is why I would love to know which one of our elected twits started this. If he/she is local I will be very busy next election.
    They still do, we just have to remind them. As for who, it was a collaboration of many, mainly the "good" people at the FDA.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    slamb@cigar.com:
    You guys rock! Keep it up and we'll make sure our voices are heard, please pass the link along to family and friends, we need your support!
    shared on my facebook and twitter for my cigar blog.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Absolutely Done.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 486
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
  • gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Done and emailed to contact list.
  • bert873bert873 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 854
    kuzi16:
    slamb@cigar.com:
    in addition to the letter provided by ccom i added this:

I have the right to do as i choose so long as i do not violate the rights of others. consuming cigars violates the rights of nobody, but does, in fact create jobs for millions of people in this country around the world. any artificial price increase via taxation in cigars and cigar related product hurts the lives of those in the industry. many of these families have relied on the cigar industry for generations and the sharp push down in sales due to higher taxation could lead to extreme poverty and starvation.

this nation was founded on the right for individuals to make decisions for themselves about what is good for them, not for a dominant government to make these choices for them by pricing goods out of reach of the common man.

though the tyrannical government we have had for quite some time now probably wont listen.
    its disgusting what they are doing to the rights of the individual.
    Awesome addition. I will be doing my part as soon as I get home
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Done! The government has become to overreaching and people are getting tired of the nanny-state we are all adults let us make our own choices.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Ok, here is what I plan on sending.
    Let me know what you think.
    I cobbled bits and pieces from everything.

As an adult who enjoys premium cigars, I support the FDA's proposal that premium cigars be exempt from FDA regulation. I agree with much of the FDA's proposed definition of premium cigars.
    However, the FDA should not include a $10 minimum price requirement. In my opinion, the FDA has no role in setting prices for products it regulates. In addition, a $10 dividing line is arbitrary in defining the high-quality cigars that I enjoy. Price does not dictate whether or not a cigar is in fact premium. Premium cigars come in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and prices.
    A premium cigar is generally defined as cigars which are made from only broad leaf tobacco and are made exclusively by hand, in which there are many lines of premium cigars that are in the $5 or less range.

A $10 minimum price could result in many of the premium cigars I enjoy no longer being available, or being sold at an increased price. It would restrict my product choice while not addressing the FDA's public health goals. Therefore, I strongly believe that the FDA should remove the $10 minimum price requirement from the definition of a premium cigar.
    This would constitute a form of regulatory capture and create a negative externality.
    You should also know that 75% of the PREMIUM cigars I smoke are less than $7 each, with most ranging around $5.50-$6.00.

Consuming cigars violates the rights of nobody, but does, in fact create jobs for millions of people in this country and around the world. Any artificial price increase via taxation in cigars and cigar related product hurts the lives of those in the industry. Many of these families have relied on the cigar industry for generations and the sharp push down in sales due to higher taxation could lead to extreme poverty and starvation.

This nation was founded on the right for individuals to make decisions for themselves about what is good for them, not for a dominant government to make these choices for them by pricing goods out of reach of the common man.
    I am offended that the government is trying to price things out of reach of the lower and middle class, based solely on their desire to regulate what the common man does.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Thanks Sean, sent off multiple copies.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    I sent them a stern letter. They will ignore it. They will say; "Almost everyone is willing to compromise except for the lunatic fringe, who are easily recognized by their reference to the archaic concept 'liberty'."

Then they will compromise.
    Then they will move the goalposts.