Home Cigar 101

Why don't they make a cooler mailbox?

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
Just thinking of ordering cigars and dreading the heat they would endure. I can't do much about the heat they will endure while in transit but what about when they get to my mailbox? I used to get them delivered to my work address and never had to worry too much about my cigars baking under the sun inside a hot metal mailbox but now I will have to deal with it. New job, no deliveries. New house, black mailbox. Does anybody make an insulated mailbox that you could place a cold pack inside to keep it cool all day until you get home?

Comments

• matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    Styrofoam or insulate the inside of it.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Yep. This may be a do-it-myself kind of project. I've been thinking of all the possible ways I could do it.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Kind of an interesting idea.
    I've got a community mailbox, so it's hard to customize a bank of mailboxes on the side of the street. LOL!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    matkn293:
    Styrofoam or insulate the inside of it.

Interesting. If you mailbox is squared angles you could cut some styrofoam panels to fit inside, they wouldn't have to be too thick either. If it is curved maybe some type of spray insulation. Throw in a freezer pack on the day you expect delivery to cool it again after they open it. May want to leave them a note about what you are doing, hate to see homeland security show up.
    Could spray or use the mineral wool stuff. May want to look at an oversize so the interiors does not get smaller though. Then the packages (esp from ccom) will be left on the outside defeating the purpose.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    If you own your home, why not do a full rebuild? Solar panel charging a battery stored in the post. Insulated cooler type mailbox, with a small AC or cooler fan feeding the inside. Make sure the vent will stay open with mail inside. Kick it on, in the morning when you are expecting delivery.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    New Boots:
    If you own your home, why not do a full rebuild? Solar panel charging a battery stored in the post. Insulated cooler type mailbox, with a small AC or cooler fan feeding the inside. Make sure the vent will stay open with mail inside. Kick it on, in the morning when you are expecting delivery.
    Quicker, cheaper route: Give mailman a key and tell him to place in the humidor lol you trust him right?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    No_one21:
    New Boots:
    Quicker, cheaper route: Give mailman a key and tell him to place in the humidor lol you trust him right?
    Thats how Divorces start!

Aj
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 184
    dr_frankenstein56:
    No_one21:
    New Boots:
    Thats how Divorces start!

Aj
    i thought that you could give instructions on some packages if so tell them to put it in a cooler outside...
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    P.O. Box, pick up from air conditioned post office.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Amos Umwhat:
    yep. this might be the simple route. although it might cost me 18 bucks or so every six months.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Bob Luken:
    Amos Umwhat:
    yep. this might be the simple route. although it might cost me 18 bucks or so every six months.
    Cheaper than an infested mazo, or worse.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    No_one21:
    New Boots:

Maybe he already has a key....
  • kos22uskos22us Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 46
    in addition to the sitting in the mailbox thing, i also hate when the sticks are shipped ups and when they arrive at your local ups because of the small size lightweight package they get contracted out to usps which results in an extra day or two of transit
    kos22us:
    in addition to the sitting in the mailbox thing, i also hate when the sticks are shipped ups and when they arrive at your local ups because of the small size lightweight package they get contracted out to usps which results in an extra day or two of transit
    I am completely with you on that one!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    matkn293:
    kos22us:
    I am completely with you on that one!
    couldnt agree more with that!

Aj
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    kos22us:
    I hate that. I am actually neighbors with my Post Office. So to know that they came to the PO, but couldn't travel the few feet south to my driveway is infuriating!
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    Instead of putting foam inside, wrap your mailbox. Three or four layers of yoga mat ought to do it. Easy enough. Slip a frozen gel pack inside on the morning of.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Heck, just put an igloo cooler on a stick with some numbers on the side. That's how we do it down here!!!