Home Ratings & Reviews

Review: Oliva Serie G

matthewjmichaelmatthewjmichael Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
Having trouble with formatting here, Original Post Here: http://cigarreviews.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/oliva-serie-g/ Size: 3.7×48, Special G Wrapper: African Cameroon Binder: Cuban-seed Habano Filler: Nicaraguan Habano Strength: Medium Price: $4.20, Local Grade: 9.0 A unique size that is sold in boxes of 48, the Special G is fun to hold and more fun to smoke. I picked this stick up a month or so ago from our local B&M and I’ve been waiting for a night when I only had 30 minutes or so to smoke. The Serie G comes in 11 sizes, including a couple of other unique sizes, such as the Belicoso and Figurado. The Oliva G was listed as #11 on Cigar Aficionado’s best cigars of 2006. Obviously there is a lot to enjoy about this cigar so let’s get to the review! Appearance, 1.7: The Special G had a great pre-light aroma, with a sweet smell that reminded me of an old cellar. The draw was excellent, if not a bit loose, and the unique shape was a lot of fun to hold. The head and foot looked nice but could have been a little cleaner with some very slight wrapper pulls. The overall exterior was good but the wrapper had a bit of a rustic feel with noticeable veins and a leathery appearance. Burn, 1.8: The G had a very open draw with plenty of thick smoke pouring from each exhale. Though this may be due in part to the thin size of the Special G, it burnt fairly hot throughout. The ash was excellent and moved very cleanly through the Figurado type foot. The ash layered and stacked very well and was a nice, clean gray. The perfect draw kept the score high despite the hot burn. Flavor, 2.7: The G started off with a bit of harshness and heat, but it quickly cooled off. The smoke was dominated by black pepper in the first half and never really transitioned into the sweetness that was detected in the pre-light draw and aroma. I enjoyed the peppery notes but was hoping for some movement–the only movement was a decreased amount of pepper in the second half. The deduction here is for lacking a bit of flavor profile, though it scored perfectly for consistency. Overall, 2.8: Overall, this is an excellent smoke and one that I would consider buying a box of, especially as the winter months are upon us. When I smoke this stick in the future I will pace myself a bit and hopefully this will help with the hot burn of the tiny stick. The flavor was great on this stick and it had a very fun burn to it and drew very well throughout. This is a winner to be sure! (Total: 9.0)

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Thanks for the review! I have a few of these resting in my humi.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Nice review. I find the Special G's to be one of my favorite sticks. There are plenty of times that I can smoke one in the truck while waiting for the wife at the mall or where ever. The 30 - 40 minutes it takes to burn one is great for the middle of the day when you don't have a couple of hours to sit and enjoy a good cigar.

I always find the pre-light smell from these sticks is almost like a "cheese" smell more then barn yard. The flavors blend so well together from this stick. Spicy-sweet.

I remember some BOTL here thought that these were too small to be considered a good stick, when these were discussed in the past. I just think that when you don't have time to enjoy a full size stick... rather then rush thru one, or nub it before it is ready to be nubbed, then that is where the special G's is a great choice.

Funny thing tho. I bet after smoking a few from the box... you'll find yourself smoking them in a lot of different situations and not just when you are trying to squeeze in a stick in a short period of time.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i think i like the G maduro better, but im not mad at the g
    kuzi16:
    Hey you know what? I never even thought about the "other" Special G. I was refferring to the Maduro in this stick as well. I liked the Cameroon one too, but no where near as much as the Maduro.
  • matthewjmichaelmatthewjmichael Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Hey you know what? I never even thought about the "other" Special G. I was refferring to the Maduro in this stick as well. I liked the Cameroon one too, but no where near as much as the Maduro.
    Haven't had the Maduro yet, got one in my humi. This Cameroon was excellent though! If the Maduro is better, I might be converted...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    well... to get a better perspective, i do tend to like maduros a lot. i may be a bit biased. if you like maduros and you like Oliva i think youd like the G maduro.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    damn maduro snobs....
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    damn maduro snobs....
    Tell me that you don't like the Series G in the Maduro... you can't can you.

Damn squirrels.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    damn maduro snobs....

Damn squirrels.
    lol, actually haven't had it yet. though I have come to enjoy maduros a bit more. I wasn't overly impressed with the G though, maybe the maduro will be better. The only Olivia blend I like is the V and especially the V maduro.
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    damn maduro snobs....

Damn squirrels.
    lol, actually haven't had it yet. though I have come to enjoy maduros a bit more. I wasn't overly impressed with the G though, maybe the maduro will be better. The only Olivia blend I like is the V and especially the V maduro.
    You haven't got any Oliva G's then? hehehehehe he says while rubbing his hands (real hands, not those squirrel hand thingies) together.

The Maduro's in the G's are great IMO. I can send you a few different sizes to give them a try if you like Pheebs?